Tailwheel Training - Colorado Springs

Nixus

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Nixus
Evening all,

Recently moved to the Colorado Springs area for college from Illinois. I am a new PPL holder (75 hours); also got my tailwheel endorsement in a 7BCM back home prior to move this past June.

I'm not current in tailwheel and am looking to refresh,sharpen, and grow in my skills in tailwheel aircraft.

I've done the google searches and such for tailwheel training in the Springs area and haven't found much, the closest option from what I have found looks to be Centennial through Aspen Flying Club in their Citabria/Decathlon.

Figured I'd give things a shot here to see if anyone local had any contacts or knew of anyone interested in providing some instruction. Really appreciate your help - thanks for reading!!

It's Aspen, sorry. Have you checked at KFLY? Might be something there.

I heard that Aspen took all of their taildraggers off the line due to insurance reasons? Maybe they still have one or two left. I know KFLY has a large taildragger population, but I'm not sure if/where training would be done.

Best of luck!

Meadowlake (FLY) has no TWs when I was there,, but it’s been a couple years now.

Thanks all, I will give KFLY a call today. If anyone knows of a tailwheel owner/instructor who'd be interested I'd love to get in touch. Don't feel the need to solo (as my schedule would probably only permit me to leave base 2-3 times per month anyways) and am more than happy to pay a fair hourly price for gas, insurance, maintenance, and their time.

Thanks again!!

Call the FBO @ KLMO. They have a Citabria and Super D and 2 guys that instruct (Dick & Al). Dick is supposed to be a great instruction from what I hear. When I called in may the Citabria was $115/hr + $40/hr instructor. The Super D was $160/hr + $50/hr for the instructor.

Western @ BJC (associated with Aspen) had a citabria as well. I can't remember what the price is, but I have written down that the instruction was $60/hr (Lou Jendras was the only one there that would do the instruction). I also remember the Western Citabria + instruction being more than the Decathlon + instruction at longmont.

Back