Tailwheel Endorsement Training Begins!

Q: What's the best way to spend a lunch hour during the work week?

A: By going flying of course!! Off to the airport now for another lesson, back at 1:30! :yesnod:

Q: What's the best way to spend a lunch hour during the work week?
A: By going flying of course!! Off to the airport now for another lesson, back at 1:30! :yesnod:

Good for you! I'll be doing some TW flying after work today -- ferrying the now-fixed airplane form Fairmont back home -- with some diversions along the way!

Hmm, where shall I start.... Today was beautiful out, and work was slow, so it made sense to me to make the best of my lesson. I arrived a few minutes ahead of time and preflighted the plane. There was a NOTAM for runway/taxiway line painting at the field and they are out there with one of the lineman, but planes are still in the pattern and working well with the guys.

We briefly discussed the plan for the day with landings and how things have been since the last lesson and then I started up and began to taxi.
We moved down to the runup area and decided to go do some manouvers for 25-30 minutes to give them some space to stripe the center taxi area and some of the on/off lines of the runway. This worked out well, since I need some manouvers for my Flight Review, and when we returned they would be taking lunch.

I flew to the practice area where we did steep turns left and right, slow flight, power on and two power off stalls, dutch rolls, and an engine out. All went pretty smoothly and this plane sure is a lot of fun. Visibility was 50+ out, and great blue sky everywhere. From the Pottstown power plant we could see the Delaware Bay and the Power plant down there, easily.

This ate up some time and we made our way back to the airport. I flew the pattern and had nice approaches today. Wind was calm, but maybe a slight wind aloft at pattern from the north east. Still, 24 was being used, giving a light cross wind till down below the tree line and then it was calm at the surface. I made a nice 3 point landing the first time, but ever so slightly mis-alighned and had to dance some more to keep her straight and going down the runway. The other landings was MUCH better, and on one we ended up having a slight tailwind as we ended up floating a little down the runway, but I kept her aligned nicely on centerline and just kept the power out while she settled down to the runway.

Unfortunately, I soon needed to call it quits, as it was nearing the end of my allowed lunch break. I taxied back up to the parking area and shut down, and he congratulated me! He said he was confident in my abilities and I've demonstrated the knowledge and handling of the airplane, and he would endorse my logbook!! NICE :yesnod: He encourages me to continue with tailwheel occasionally and keep up the good work. I was not expecting this, so I told him I wanted another lesson at a minimum to do some more wheel landings, so we booked for Tuesday afternoon. He thought that was great, and he could bring the chutes too for tuesday or sometime soon, As I have already told him I wanted to do some spin training and maybe some light acro. I still had him endorse my logbook though :)

Time to change my signature,... to Tailwheel Endorsement - May 2010!

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0830.jpg
    IMG_0830.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 102
Last edited:
That's awesome, Rob! Congratulations!

I know somebody ELSE on this board that needs to fess up to gaining his TW endorsement in the past month, too... and a search didn't reveal that he'd already done so... unless I missed it!

Thanks guys. It's a lot of fun and I completely recommend it to any pilot.

By doing the tailwheel, I've also met a lot of the requirements for my Flight Review. So, next I am going to do the ground portion of the flight review with him and then get in our cessna to fly some hood refresher and manouvers in that too. Then the FR complete, I'm going to get back in the Citabria for Spins and Acro,... that plane is addicting. :cool2:

:drink: Good on You, Rob. Congrats!

Enjoy the spins and acro - but like you said beware - it's addicting :yesnod:

That's awesome, Rob! Congratulations!

I know somebody ELSE on this board that needs to fess up to gaining his TW endorsement in the past month, too... and a search didn't reveal that he'd already done so... unless I missed it!

Yeah, that'd be me. I finished my TW endorsement on Sunday the 9th. I did it in a 7ECA Citabria, the same one that Tony brought to 6Y9 a couple years ago and taxied to the local gas station to fuel up. :D I'll probably be bringing it to Gaston's. Maybe 6Y9 too. :)

Hey, very cool! I got my tailwheel endorsement with Bruce in that exact plane a few years ago. He helped me buy and get trained in my Cessna 140, too. A lot of good memories.

Congrats on the endorsement.

Then we went over to Horizon - a little place.

Jeanie - Horizon, the grass strip south of San Antonio? One of my favorite aviation books is 'Border Pilot', a collection of short stories about the author's time spent as a crop duster pilot in south Texas during the 70's. Can be read online too. This one involves Horizon:

http://borderpilot.com/17STEAL2.htm

Eric

Jeanie - Horizon, the grass strip south of San Antonio? One of my favorite aviation books is 'Border Pilot', a collection of short stories about the author's time spent as a crop duster pilot in south Texas during the 70's. Can be read online too. This one involves Horizon:

http://borderpilot.com/17STEAL2.htm

Eric

~~~~~ No, the Horizon we went to is just east of El Paso.

Back