Tailwheel Endorsement Next Week

Kimberly, check out ladieslovetaildraggers.com I just registered on it and bought the cute shirt.
Looks like a sweet citabria on those pics. You're going to have a ball.

Do you know that citabria spells aerobatic backwards?

Kimberly, check out ladieslovetaildraggers.com I just registered on it and bought the cute shirt.

I learned that today, thank you. I will check out that website. Oh, and they do NOT have a fuel surcharge - and they will let me rent the plane solo after my endorsement (and I guess I can have passengers) - and they don't (yet) charge for giving you a parachute to wear for aerobatic flights. You can only do aerobatics with a CFI and not solo but still it will be fun.

It only costs $16 more per hour to rent the Citabria (more than my 152) and the Citabria is CHEAPER to rent than my 172 - !!! A good way to keep myself tailwheel current.

Hmph. Sounds like tailwheel envy;)
I did a pretty decent wheelie in a Beech 18 the other day. Had a slight bounce on landing but it just settled right down and I rode the wheelie to the end of the runway.:D
I've got over 700hrs TW time including Midget Mustang and some R-1820 SE time... I don't really have "tailwheel envy" issues.;)

Cool website.

This girl competes in her Decathalon (aerobatics):

Lise-Lemeland-Jessup-318x425.jpg

Can't find a picture of the shirt and there don't seem to be any ladies in my part of California. Darn. There is one down by San Jose - somewhat far - maybe I should join that site and contact her.

Cool website.

Can't find a picture of the shirt and there don't seem to be any ladies in my part of California. Darn. There is one down by San Jose - somewhat far - maybe I should join that site and contact her.

Damn, check out the bulge in her shorts....:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

My mistake, the girl who I thought was near me actually flies out of Byron or Middletown.

Way too far.

Oh well, after next weekend I will feel more comfortable getting to know the people at the airport and I am sure I will find some taildragger pilots.

I did a pretty decent wheelie in a Beech 18 the other day. Had a slight bounce on landing but it just settled right down and I rode the wheelie to the end of the runway.:D
I've got over 700hrs TW time including Midget Mustang and some R-1820 SE time... I don't really have "tailwheel envy" issues.;)

I was just up in my Midget Mustang a few hours ago. They are probably the best bargain in homebuilts right now, and one of the most fun.:)

I was just up in my Midget Mustang a few hours ago. They are probably the best bargain in homebuilts right now, and one of the most fun.:)

'Specially when you hang 230+hp on the front...;)

If you look close you'll see that it actually spells "airbatic" but that's close enough phonetically.

Amelia, er, I mean Kim,

I thought your tailwheel lesson was yesterday and logged in to see how it went, but I guess you meant a week from Saturday.

I'm at the airport waiting for the Sun to come up. Unless the crosswind gets any worse I hope to do some tail wheeling of my own this morning.

Keep us posted.
Doc

I haven't looked lately but I think I have around 800 hours TW time, all of it in airplanes no bigger than a 185. The only big-airplane time I have was a few circuits in a Twin Otter.

Dan

Yeah, I think I got it once in Tijuana...
Given your history of global travel, I suspect you've contracted most of the survivable diseases known to man at one time or another, and a few unknown ones as well.:D

I now have a nuclear powered bionic one... it glows in the dark, handy for reading in bed.

Post of the month, right there.

Another standard reading, "The Compleat Taildragger Pilot"

"Once you've dragged tail....., you'll never go back."

I have just about finished the above reference, it's a good one. And I've just about finished my tailwheel training (in a Decathlon), except for the dreaded wheel landings. I think those are scheduled for today. :yikes:

Amelia, er, I mean Kim,

I thought your tailwheel lesson was yesterday and logged in to see how it went, but I guess you meant a week from Saturday.

I'm at the airport waiting for the Sun to come up. Unless the crosswind gets any worse I hope to do some tail wheeling of my own this morning.

Keep us posted.
Doc

LOL how many people do you think I am? Grant says she was active on this site before I even took my first flying lesson, silly. I am not anyone but myself.

I have just about finished the above reference, it's a good one. And I've just about finished my tailwheel training (in a Decathlon), except for the dreaded wheel landings. I think those are scheduled for today. :yikes:

:confused::confused: Dreaded wheel landings? Wheel landings are easy. Trim for 5kts above your three point approach speed and set the power to maintain 500fpm rate of descent. When you come in to flare, don't. Leave approach power in and just level out and fly level above the runway. Once you have leveled out, start easing back the throttle until the plane starts gently sinking. As you pull the throttle, you'll gently have to push forward on the yoke to keep the plane level. Just hold it level until the wheels touch down and ease the throttle back to the stops and keep feeding more forward stick until it's all the way forward and in a moment the tail will settle down.

When you start, start on as long a runway as you can reasonably get to so you don't have to worry about slowing down. The first time you might use 5000', so what? Doesn't matter. Slow rates of change is what makes wheel landings. Start with long landings and slow power changes to get used to the movements (it's a little bit before it starts feeling natural to push stick forward on landing), feels and sight pictures of wheelies. Very quickly you'll get a feel for the energy, float and low level lift and you'll be doing wheel landings in not much more room than a 3 point.

LOL how many people do you think I am? Grant says she was active on this site before I even took my first flying lesson, silly. I am not anyone but myself.

Kim,

I think you are talking about a different Amelia. I was comlimenting you by calling you Amelia as in Earhart.

I'm anxious to hear a report on your tailwheel experience.

Doc

Kim,

I think you are talking about a different Amelia. I was comlimenting you by calling you Amelia as in Earhart.

Doc
Perhaps Amelia Earhart has been posting here in spirit form. I'll bet she'd be in the thick of PoA if she was still around. Of course, given the lack of evidence she already died, she might still be around in disguise.

:confused::confused: Dreaded wheel landings? Wheel landings are easy.

10-4 good buddy.

I used to do wheelies about 95% of the time just out of laziness.

Just set it down gently, hold the attitude after touchdown.

Put the tail down when convenient.

Done.

:confused::confused: Dreaded wheel landings? Wheel landings are easy.

Hey, you're right. I bounced the first couple times then made three real nice ones. The reference I mentioned is good but really made it seem that the wheelies are really difficult. They were't. I pretty much did what you suggested, but around 10 kts above 3-point approach speed. The biggest trick is just knowing where your wheels are. I was landing on 09 at KARR so I had plenty of runway :)

The reference I mentioned is good but really made it seem that the wheelies are really difficult. They were't. I pretty much did what you suggested, but around 10 kts above 3-point approach speed. The biggest trick is just knowing where your wheels are. I was landing on 09 at KARR so I had plenty of runway :)

Are you saying you trimmed for 10kts above the speed you'd fly if doing a 3-point, or that you flew 10kts faster? If you are actually flying that much faster, I would recommend you learn not to. No such thing as 3-point approach and wheelie approach. They're all the same...don't do them any different. You don't need extra speed just to do a wheelie, you just change your round out profile is all, and add a tiny bit of power if needed to help your mains find the pavement smoothly before it settles in 3-point attitude. Just takes a little more practice to do wheelies without the help of extra airspeed or power.

Last edited:
Are you saying you trimmed for 10kts above the speed you'd fly if doing a 3-point, or that you flew 10kts faster? If you are actually flying that much faster, I would recommend you learn not to. No such thing as 3-point approach and wheelie approach. They're all the same...don't do them any different. You don't need extra speed just to do a wheelie, you just change your round out profile is all, and add a tiny bit of power if needed to help your mains find the pavement smoothly before it settles in 3-point attitude. Just takes a little more practice to do wheelies without the help of extra airspeed or power.

Yeah, in the Decathlon I usually do 75 mph on approach before rounding out for the flare. Yesterday for wheelies it was more like 85 mph. My instructor did say that it's not necessary to have extra speed to do wheel landings, but for training purposes it gave me more time to work things out as I was about to touch down.

Yeah, in the Decathlon I usually do 75 mph on approach before rounding out for the flare. Yesterday for wheelies it was more like 85 mph. My instructor did say that it's not necessary to have extra speed to do wheel landings, but for training purposes it gave me more time to work things out as I was about to touch down.

Why so fast? Normal power off approach speed for a SuperD is 65. I would use no more than 70 for a wheel landing.

Kim,

Doc

Oh - sorry - there is an "Amelia" who is posting in this thread.

Thanks, then, and hopefully my lesson on Saturday will be "on" and not cancelled due to weather! It has been raining and foggy around here lately.

Kimberly

Why so fast? Normal power off approach speed for a SuperD is 65. I would use no more than 70 for a wheel landing.

It's what I've been taught, and it seems to work well for me. It's also 1.4 times the stall speed (54 mph), and normal approach speed is usually about 1.4X give or take, so that seems to make sense. My POH is pretty sparse and doesn't say anything about it specifically. Just to be sure, are we both talking in units of mph, not knots?

Cool website.

Holy **** - hot lady pilot. There aren't a whole lot of them :D

I kid, of course.

Back