Tailwheel Endorsement Next Week

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
So I am going for an "intro" flight of sorts:

I found an airport which has a Citabria (with apparently no flaps!). Not only a Citabria, but a grass strip, a short runway which is paved and narrow (with obstacles on both ends and crosswinds to boot).

The instructor who will train me answered the phone and spoke with me at length about what is involved. He estimates spending almost 50 hours a month in the Citabria, and though he told me "all the other instructors" at the flight school were great, he is the one who normally gives pilots their TW sign off.

My lesson starts next Saturday at 1pm (weather permitting). We will fly for one hour and supposedly I will only be charged for that plus 1.5 hours of CFI time - very affordable.

I asked if there is anything I could read and he suggested "Stick and Rudder" as well as this 5-page handout "Taming the Taildragger Pilot":

http://ehfc.net/Taming.pdf

Here are some pictures of their plane:

Sonoma-8.jpg

topquarterslide.jpg

And here is a description of why they call it "the right airport" to get your tailwheel endorsement:

Skypark airport provides an ideal learning environment. Start off easy in the cool, calm mornings with forgiving grass to land on, then move up to the 2480’x40’ runway with trees on either end and a reliable afternoon crosswind to test your new skills. Even better, you’ll have 4 other airports within 10 miles for a variety of training opportunities. You could get an easy start at Petaluma, land by the jets on the 5000’ runway at Napa, master the challenging crosswinds at Gnoss Field and glide it on over the water to land at Schellville. You and your instructor will be able to design lessons to meet any goal you have. With some ground instruction, you could even turn a lesson into that Flight Review you need!

Mirror, miror, shiny glass, please don't tell me that's my _____

It looks like you are going to have a lot of fun! Staring on grass is great, a little forgiving of rudder errors, and then moving to sticky pavement.

We start them out here on dry lake beds. We can always pick a direction into the wind, the "runway" is miles long, and we can introduce the crosswind when they are ready.

You may also notice an improvement landing your C150 in a crosswind after you're done.

Another standard reading, "The Compleat Taildragger Pilot"

"Once you've dragged tail....., you'll never go back."

Last edited:
It looks like you are going to have a lot of fun! Staring on grass is great, a little forgiving of rudder errors, and then moving to sticky pavement.

We start them out here on dry lake beds. We can always pick a direction into the wind, the "runway" is miles long, and we can introduce the crosswind when they are ready.

You may also notice an improvement landing your C150 in a crosswind after you're done.

"Once you've dragged tail....., you'll never go back."

Well, the CFI on the phone said it is not officially a runway, so I'm not sure how much time we'll spend in the grass. He was REALLY nice and so much different than the people at my flight school. He also said that airport has a TON of events (EAA chapter, weekly Saturday BBQs, weekly / monthly airport movie nights on the field with popcorn, etc.)

He also told me that taildragger pilots are a sort of smaller, tighter group. Like a sub-group of pilots.

Well, the CFI on the phone said it is not officially a runway, so I'm not sure how much time we'll spend in the grass. He was REALLY nice and so much different than the people at my flight school. He also said that airport has a TON of events (EAA chapter, weekly Saturday BBQs, weekly / monthly airport movie nights on the field with popcorn, etc.)

He also told me that taildragger pilots are a sort of smaller, tighter group. Like a sub-group of pilots.

Sounds like a great airport!
As far as a sub-group, yes, there are not many pilots that are qualified with the wheel in back.

It is great that Cub Crafters and Legend Cub are building LSA tail wheel aircraft.

Getting your TW endorsement will make you a better pilot for sure.

Good luck, and keep those feet happy and your a$$ behind you! ;)

Now, we need to get you in a RV 8 or Harmon Rocket. ;)

Cool. It'll be fun! You'll find your tricycle gear landings get better. I like flying in the Citabrias/Decathalons. Great visibility. Great for acro (Decaths) and just touling around. Have fun, be careful. It's all about the feet. :D

You'll enjoy it and when you master the taildragger you'll fly the nosedraggers better, too! Good luck!

Sounds like a great airport!
As far as a sub-group, yes, there are not many pilots that are qualified with the wheel in back.

It is great that Cub Crafters and Legend Cub are building LSA tail wheel aircraft.

Not that many, huh? I wonder what percentage of pilots have their TW endorsement and are CURRENT (as in right now they could fly one solo).

If I get my TW is there a "nickname" for tail dragging pilots?

Welcome to the dark side. Make sure you get to do some basic aerobatics also. Do they let you solo the Citabria? If so now you will have an airplane that will give you a good workout and be a lot of fun to fly if you can only afford an hour or so a week. I have been flying tailwheel airplanes for over 30 years, over 2500hrs tailwheel in over 50 different types. You could say I'm addicted. Don

Careful, the tailwheel endorsement is a "gateway drug". :D

You'll really enjoy having the tailwheel on the proper end of the plane. Learning that the rudder is a primary control instead of just a way to steer to the tiedown will make you a better pilot too. You won't miss the flaps either, the citabria will slip very well and a stick is a lot more fun to fly than a wheel....

Have fun and keep us posted.

Frank

Not that many, huh? I wonder what percentage of pilots have their TW endorsement and are CURRENT (as in right now they could fly one solo).

If there was a single word that meant "actually uses the rudder" that would be the nickname for taildragger pilots.

Getting your TW endorsement will make you a better pilot for sure.

Good luck, and keep those feet happy and your a$$ behind you! ;)

Now, we need to get you in a RV 8 or Harmon Rocket. ;)

Now, now, one step at a time. It is very likely I will get some time in a Long EZ some day soon (thanks to a pilot from the Red Board). Oh and I have a friend who might let me fly his Piper low wing too. Both of them I will fly as a passenger though and not PIC - but I will be thankful for ANY flying time.

Welcome to the dark side. Make sure you get to do some basic aerobatics also. Do they let you solo the Citabria? If so now you will have an airplane that will give you a good workout and be a lot of fun to fly if you can only afford an hour or so a week. I have been flying tailwheel airplanes for over 30 years, over 2500hrs tailwheel in over 50 different types. You could say I'm addicted. Don

Yes, they let me solo (and I wouldn't spend the money in training if they didn't - gotta keep those tailwheel skills current). However, they do NOT let me do aerobatics solo. I would most likely do aerobatics with a CFI (and - cool - they give us free parachutes), then later "solo" the plane, then one day when I feel good about it, have passengers. Or perhaps not. I don't know. But the fact is - this airport is a similar distance from my house as Petaluma (both under 1 hour drive) and the plane cost is similar (about $102 vs $119 plus possible member dues of $25 per month).

I think it would be "fun" for me to fly by myself in a Citabria. Sonoma is gorgeous and the CFI there says they get a lot less of the marine layer than Petaluma does.

If the Citabria is as close to the behavior of the Champ as people say, you're going to have a ball!

One thing though, make SURE that you are competent on pavement. If you only get signed off on grass, don't expect to be good for a paved runway.

Also, it would be very worthwhile to watch the Tailwheel101 video several times before climbing into the plane. You can get it at tailwheel101.com I think.

You're gonna have a LOT of fun. I'm really glad that you're doing this.

Please keep us posted.
Doc

That is true, but we still find plenty of things to disagree on amongst ourselves!

Only idiots do wheel landings. (Just kidding. Really.)

If the Citabria is as close to the behavior of the Champ as people say, you're going to have a ball!

One thing though, make SURE that you are competent on pavement. If you only get signed off on grass, don't expect to be good for a paved runway.
No kidding. My first tailwheel pavement landing (with a crosswind) after getting my re-tread was a disaster. It was the only time during the whole process that the instructor felt the need to "help" with the controls.:hairraise:

I do better now.

Kimberly, This looks like a great airport to train at. I would check out the EAA chapter there as it looks like they are very active. Looks like they have a movie night tonight. EAA members are really nice people and always ready to share some flying time. With your love of adventure you will find tailwheel airplanes will spoil you for flying the run of the mill Cessna or Piper. Don

Kimberly, This looks like a great airport to train at. I would check out the EAA chapter there as it looks like they are very active. Looks like they have a movie night tonight. EAA members are really nice people and always ready to share some flying time. With your love of adventure you will find tailwheel airplanes will spoil you for flying the run of the mill Cessna or Piper. Don

Roger that!

I guess it's hard to imagine this ditto coming from someone who a month ago was about ready to bail out of his tail dragger. Woops, maybe bail out is not the best term, how about "ready to sell." I'm hooked now though.

Doc

Last edited:
That does look like a great place to train at. I'm jealous

As for me i'm dumping every available penny into training for my IR. Here in the southeast it is going to be extremely useful.

I have a citabria available to rent but its expensive and I'm making myself stay away from it until I am allowed to bust clouds.

PS - I guess this brings new meaning to the term "dragging a$$"

Bumper sticker on my toolbox:

bumper-i-love-to-drag-my-tail-b.jpg

You will find out what your feet are for. You will learn all about correct landing speed and attitude. You, if you are lucky, will get some experience in doing real spins. Ask the instructor, if he does spins, to take you up high and show what happens when a sloppy pilot skids the airplane at low speed around the base-to-final turn.

In Canada there is no tailwheel signoff. It wise to get training but not legally mandated. Interesting.

Dan

A cute little strip called:

"Sonoma Skypark"

Airport Code: 0Q9 (Zero Quebec Niner)

Lots of interesting rules (and the CFI says we can't do touch and go's there but can go to my home airport of Petaluma for that).

Here is a guide:

http://www.sonomaskypark.com/?page_id=144

Kimberly

Looks like a great little airport trying to be a good neighbor to the community and with a quick hop to Petaluma, that solves a lot of T&G training issues. Tailwheels to full stop. Your not done flying until it's shut down and tied down!

You will enjoy the Citabria! It will be weird on the ground at first, but you`ll get over that right away when you get to play with it in the air a little. They are fun.
And yes, the tailwheel training will help you with any plane, mostly because there's that little extra bit of awareness that gets switched on- "Got to remember that the center of mass is behind the mains; think ahead, think ahead, etc., etc.". It's not that handling nosedraggers makes you complacent, but... well, you'll see. You pick up something that stays with you. Same kind of added flavor that you might get from gliders, or aerobatics, or instrument flying.
And taildraggers just look cooler, as do the people piloting them. Especially when they do awesome slips to short-field landings, and put all the flap-dependent pilots to shame.:D
...But that's more of a "look, no flaps!" thing, I guess... still, only thing cooler than mastering short-field technique in an older no-flap monoplane is doing the same with a biplane. :D
Wheel landings, while of dubious practical use, are another show-offish thing that taildraggers get to do. But the TW pilot is just satisfied knowing they are clearly showing complete control of the machine... even if nobody's watching.

... if you groundloop (or almost) during the training, be happy- it's much better to get that out of the way early, with an instructor! Nothing to be ashamed of, either... just this summer I saw a very experienced taildragger pilot go off into the weeds... I was surprised it happened to him, but not surprised that he stayed on top of it and turned it into a non-event.
Obviously, it was not his first time. :D

Last edited:
Only idiots do wheel landings. (Just kidding. Really.)

No kidding. My first tailwheel pavement landing (with a crosswind) after getting my re-tread was a disaster. It was the only time during the whole process that the instructor felt the need to "help" with the controls.:hairraise:

I do better now.
Lucky you... I did all of my TW training on pavement. Fortunately, it was very wide and very long for that airplane. ;)

You will enjoy the Citabria! It will be weird on the ground at first, but you`ll get over that right away when you get to play with it in the air a little. They are fun.

If you think a Citabria is fun, you absolutely pee your pants in a 180 horse super cub.

I would guess that less than 10% of pilots have an endorsement for a TW.

Only posers make a big deal about which end the single wheel is on.

I would guess that less than 10% of pilots have an endorsement for a TW.

Only posers make a big deal about which end the single wheel is on.

Hmph. Sounds like tailwheel envy;)

Back