Taildraggers - What's the big whoop?

Since we're talking taildraggers and I'm too lazy to start a new thread.

Interesting situation at the aeropurto today. Training folks were using 19 with 2 airplanes in the pattern. Wind was 8 knots from anywhere between 270 and 360. So direct crosswind to direct tailwind, including anything in the middle.

Hmm, to disrupt things and land into the wind (or more into the wind) or not? That is the question...

If you're comfortable landing with an 8 knot tailwind, go for it. Otherwise, instead of calling base, say, "Podunk traffic, looks like the winds have shifted, [aircraft] turning left crosswind for 01." I've done that more than a few times, including this afternoon. A rapid wind reversal is pretty common in the afternoon or evening on the shoreline when the daytime sea breeze is overwhelmed by an offshore katabatic flow.

If you're comfortable landing with an 8 knot tail
wind, go for it. Otherwise, instead of calling base, say, "Podunk traffic, looks like the winds have shifted, [aircraft] turning left crosswind for 01." I've done that more than a few times, including this afternoon. A rapid wind reversal is pretty common in the afternoon or evening on the shoreline when the daytime sea breeze is overwhelmed by an offshore katabatic flow.

There was no reversal. It had been that way most of the day. When I got to the airport, the pattern was into the wind, but in a slow time, some dummy changed it to taking off with the wind. Didn't make much sense. 8 knots of tailwind or quartering tailwind is manageable, but not trivial. I can't imagine how dum I'd have felt if (1000 to 1 chance) I'd banged up my airplane by accepting a downwind/quartering tailwind landing.

8 knot tailwind is negligible in a J3. Possibly less so in other taildraggers.

There was no reversal. It had been that way most of the day. When I got to the airport, the pattern was into the wind, but in a slow time, some dummy changed it to taking off with the wind.

OK, but still, saying, "looks like the wind has changed" or "the winds are now favoring 01" is more diplomatic than "you idiot, you're landing downwind."

Reactions: WDD
OK, but still, saying, "looks like the wind has changed" or "the winds are now favoring 01" is more diplomatic than "you idiot, you're landing downwind."

You're right. I said "Looks like the wind is favoring 01, is there any way y'all can work me in so I can land that way?" or something similar. The two airplanes in the pattern were receptive, but didn't take the opportunity to flip the pattern.

You're right. I said "Looks like the wind is favoring 01, is there any way y'all can work me in so I can land that way?" or something similar. The two airplanes in the pattern were receptive, but didn't take the opportunity to flip the pattern.
That's very diplomatic. The last time this happened at my base, I just waited until the closest plane had lifted off and announced I was departing on the opposite runway.

I learned to fly in a taildragger 57 years ago. Since then, approximately 95% of my landings have been in tailwheel planes. They are neither easier nor more difficult than trikes, and landing them is pretty much an unconscious procedure. More than half of my landings in the last half century have been off field, and I will say this. When field or wind conditions are really difficult and near the aircraft's command authority limits - I'm far more comfortable In the taildragger.

Welcome to POA!

I watched one of my friends try to taxi a Champ years ago. The only time he was on the runway was when he was crossing it ! :)

Intentional?

Champ is the easiest tailwheel I’ve ever taxied.
Yup, it's easy, if the tailwheel is in decent condition. If it's a Scott with that stupid anti-shimmy brake it can be a pain, sticking in one direction until enough rudder travel pulls the springs hard enough to break it free, then it goes way over to the other direction. Some of the Maule tailwheels had a similar brake, but it wasn't that strong. On the Scott one has to take it apart and lube up the brake disc.

Tailwheel shimmy is largely a problem with geometry, and a tailwheel with adjustable caster would be popular, I think. Some of the homebuilder wheels are better than the certified stuff. My tailwheel was one of those, and I modified it to make it a steerable/castering wheel. The pivot axis was always tipped back just a little, and it never shimmied. No brake needed, and it steered with ease and precision.

This just came up on another forum... to the tune of the Beatles' "Nowhere Man": :D

He’s a real nosewheel man
Sitting in his aluminum can
Wondering what its like to fly a taildragger
Doesn’t know what the rudder’s for
His feet are always on the floor
Flying nosewheel airplanes is a bore.
Nosewheel man, please listen
You don’t know what you’re missing
Nosewheel man, the sky could be at your command
He’s as complacent as can be
The nose wheel does all the work you see
Nosewheel man, don’t you wish you could fly a taildragger?
Nosewheel man, don’t hurry
The nosewheel takes out all the worry
Leave it all till someone else lends you hand.
Doesn’t have to keep it straight
Doesn’t even have to flare
Just flies it on without a care
He’s a real nosewheel man
Sitting his aluminum can
Making all his nosewheel plans for nobody.

I should have taken a picture of a friends shirt today. It said “ Tailwheel pilots are the same as other pilots, except way cooler!”

Back