TAF question

Captain

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
First Officer
what altitude does the forecast go from thousand foot ceilings to hundred foot? Thx in advance.

what altitude does the forecast go from thousand foot ceilings to hundred foot? Thx in advance.

Does it change? I thought the cloud layers/ceilings were always coded in three digits representing hundreds of feet AGL.

I don't understand the question.

I don't understand the question.
TAF's will show clouds in 100-foot increments up to some point which I have forgetten, then only in 500-foot increments, then only in 1000-foot increments. IOW, while you may see 001-002-003, you'll never see 051-052-053, but you will see 050-055-060, and while you'll see 050-055-060, you wont see 150-155-160 (or something like that). I just don't remember exactly where the break points are where they shift the minimum reporting increments.

If Ron's comments re increments relates to Captain's question, page 3-13 of Advisory Circular AC-0045G re Aviation Weather Services includes this table re "reportable values":

Reportable_Values.jpg

Page 7-19 says that "TAFs use the same weather codes found in METAR weather reports..."

Welcome back, Scott.

And that statement is incorrect...but, not the first time the FAA got it wrong in an AC related to weather. For example, TCU (towering cumulus) is not used in a TAF although you may see it used in a surface observation. Moreover, increments of cloud heights (AGL) in a TAF are different than surface observations as shown below for TAFs...

TAF-Cloud-Increments.gif

Scott, is that table from a particular publication? Thanks!

And that statement is incorrect...but, not the first time the FAA got it wrong in an AC related to weather. For example, TCU (towering cumulus) is not used in a TAF although you may see it used in a surface observation. Moreover, increments of cloud heights (AGL) in a TAF are different than surface observations as shown below for TAFs...

TAF-Cloud-Increments.gif

Thank you. That exactly answers my question.

Back