• Off-airport and don't have access to ForeFlight or other App

• I'm just addicted to texting

Results are only viewable after voting.

NordicDave

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
NordicDave
Came across a pretty cool capability to receive TAF's & METAR's by text message on a cell phone.

Just text the METAR and the airports ICAO code and a couple of seconds later the data is returned.

Phone Number and Directions for use:
http://welch.com/n46pg/2019/08/01/metar-and-taf-by-text-message/

-David

WebMetarbyText.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't. I made my own TAF/METAR page. Punch in individual stations, punch in by state, punch it in by distance from an airport, get it along a route with a corridor width of up to 80nm. Also does color notification on flight rules.

www.sidnaw.org/weather

edit: flight rules sometimes glitch on TAFs - especially military fields.

Oh, and you can also get international TAFs/METARs if you punch in the ICAO, but since I don't have a database of all the international ICAO codes it won't return the name of the station.

I wouldn't. I made my own TAF/METAR page. Punch in individual stations, punch in by state, punch it in by distance from an airport, get it along a route with a corridor width of up to 80nm. Also does color notification on flight rules.

www.sidnaw.org/weather

edit: flight rules sometimes glitch on TAFs - especially military fields.

Oh, and you can also get international TAFs/METARs if you punch in the ICAO, but since I don't have a database of all the international ICAO codes it won't return the name of the station.
very, very nice. permission to distribute that link to my pilot buddies?

That’s been a thing now for quite awhile now. Kind of cool though, as long as you have cell service.

very, very nice. permission to distribute that link to my pilot buddies?
Yeah, I make no guarantees how long it will stay up. I did find a list of every single ICAO identifier and facility, so I may get around to adding them to the database, just gotta see how the math works since I only have it set up to do the distance calcs for the northwest semi-hemisphere.

you can also do plain talk TAFs and METARs

That's really cool. Thanks for sharing.

@jesse once made a program that would notify you if certain parameters at your designated airports/weather sites were exceeded. So, I would be aware when the weather was starting to go down, (or here - when the winds were getting over 30kts.....or whatever notifications you wanted).
That was cool.

I updated the Wx service by Text from the original post above. The revised post show's how to access the same service through Leidos!

http://welch.com/n46pg/2019/08/01/metar-and-taf-by-text-message/

Test M ot T (Airport ICAO) and get weather returned. Leidos is a resilient service under FAA contract. It's now my go to Wx by text service. There is also a plain text option.

-David

Last edited:
Back