Tablet

federico

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
skorpov
Hi everyone
i've got a frozen ATPL license and will start working asap. i belive on an a320.
i still need to do the TR so i'm looking for a tablet i can use to study and later on to work.

i've read that iOS (apple) is a better option than android (samsung etc.)
do you guys confirm?
i guess ipad mini is too small so i was more about a normal ipad.

but is it worth to get the latest model? like the 10.5'' ipad pro?
or would the ipad air 1 be the same?

which are the best apps i should download and work with?

i've read about garmin and foreflight.

thanks everyone for the help.
really appreciated and hope to meet you in flight someday

If you're just starting out with one, than yes, go with the latest edition iPad (iOS).

Both ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot offer 30 day free trials, so experiment with both.

ForeFlight is my preferred.

Having tried several iPads I've personally found the 9.7" pro to be the best fit. Newest brightest screen and just the right size. I can use it on my yoke, kneepad or on panel mount (my current setup).

I also have a mini that I've used a lot. It's fine but for things like approach plates I find that I am regularly zooming in and panning around to be able to see the detail. With the 9.7" I can make plate full screen and see everything fine.

What kind of operation are you talking about. If an A320, it sounds like an airline, which, in the US anyway, should have its own standardized and approved procedures about tablet use, including which units and apps to use.

What kind of operation are you talking about. If an A320, it sounds like an airline, which, in the US anyway, should have its own standardized and approved procedures about tablet use, including which units and apps to use.

i can't come over to US due to green card..
for now plan is TR in europe and then make some experience in asia on whichever airline.
but what you said is interesting :) i'll ask around thanks

and thank everyone for the advices

<--- asking himself "A foreign national ATP rated for an A320 with first PoA post being about which tablet to buy?"

Troll-dar on about 9.5.

Answer is easy -- The most expensive one you can find. Paying over MSRP might be good too, but you might prefer one second hand on eBay so you can wire them the money to expedite.

i can't come over to US due to green card..
for now plan is TR in europe and then make some experience in asia on whichever airline.
but what you said is interesting :) i'll ask around thanks

and thank everyone for the advices
...and, assuming the airline lets you choose, your choice is probably better if you choose an app that has the charts and aeronautical data for the country you will be flying in. I know for example that European pilots have choices other than the ones often discussed here. ForeFlight, at least for now, has the US and Canada. That's about it, except for some Caribbean info.

hope to meet you in flight someday
I'd rather not come into contact with one another while we're airborne. Meeting on the ground would be more welcoming.

yea :D hope i'll have more to post to help out others too :)
ebay is an option i'm looking at. but it's not always cheaper than other online stores..
unfortunately apple is freaking expensive in italy but it's kind of worth it. i always hope for amazon for their warrancy policy but we'll see what i'll find...

i'm used to jeppesen charts and i've seen garmin makes you use them so it would be a valid option.
expecially if foreflight only has NA...probably gonna need europe and asia more for the first time

Will be awaiting the TCAS alert!
&
knew that was coming :) obviously just meet on the radio..or as your first officer

thanks again everyone for the answers i really appreciate and love the atmosphere at PoA.

just one small thing i was thinking about..tablets now are either wifi only or with cellular...
while on flight cellular is useless so i can assume it's not worth to get cellular version as it's even more expensive?
only use i could think about is to keep charts and apps updated if wifi doesn't work.

Back