Tabbed Binder and Logbook for my checkride...

Hobobiker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hobo
Yeah, I guess it's a little over the top. For my checkride tomorrow I tabbed the Night, XC, and Instrument pages in the logbook and then made a tabbed binder with the PTS checklist, written test, Weather, W&B, Performance Charts, Aero Experience totals, and 8710 printout from IACRA.

The best part is when they look at that and go, "ok, great. Let's move on."

Much better off being over the top and make easy as possible for the DPE. No one can fault you for that.

For my checkride, I took post it notes and placed them over the totals columns on the last used page of my log book, drew back in the boxes and wrote in the total hours for each column on the post it juts like the page was completed (since there were still empty lines on the page). DPE and instructor liked that method to see total hours easily.

Completed checkride, added one more line for the pass, removed the post its and kept on logging!

well done. That's the very first thing that they do on the checkride so having that squared away gets you off to a good start (and shows you have your $%#& together)...and I did something similar. I could tell my DPE was so relieved...he said, "You can't even imagine some of the mess I have to go through on these...". :)

You are so overprepared and it is awesome!
I tabbed the hell out of my far Aim and he just glanced at it and said "good enough"

Your thread needs to be a sticky including this information.
You sir are doing everything right.

I can't wait to hear about how you knocked this out of the park tomorrow!

Make them look for it. You had to in order to fill out the 8710. It helps chew up time which works in your favor. They don't get paid by the hour, and you want to answer as few questions as possible.

Make them look for it. You had to in order to fill out the 8710. It helps chew up time which works in your favor.

Huh?...there is not time component to an oral and I would argue the more over prepared you are the faster it would go and less questions you have to answer!

The best part is when they look at that and go, "ok, great. Let's move on."

Yep, that is the best, boom, it's all there, done. It's not 'over the top' it's well prepared and provides an image of you as well prepared from the get go.

DPE s I spoke today's it makes great first impression that they are dealing with someone who plans.

Yep, that is the best, boom, it's all there, done. It's not 'over the top' it's well prepared and provides an image of you as well prepared from the get go.

:yes:

Congrats to you and your CFI for sending you to a checkride well prepared!! Good luck........

Mike

:yes:

Congrats to you and your CFI for sending you to a checkride well prepared!! Good luck........

Mike

My friend/CFI is awesome, but he's on vacation right now and this prep is all my doing. I sent him the same pics and he just sent me back a joking text that said "How do you spell overkill? Wade..." LOL! I'm sure he's glad that I'm preparing hard and serious about it, as some of his other students may not have the same mindset...

He'll see that your organized and that should reflect a clean cockpit and good cockpit management. Nice!

My friend/CFI is awesome, but he's on vacation right now and this prep is all my doing. I sent him the same pics and he just sent me back a joking text that said "How do you spell overkill? Wade..." LOL! I'm sure he's glad that I'm preparing hard and serious about it, as some of his other students may not have the same mindset...

It's not overkill, Wade. As Jordan said above..it shows organization and that reflects well on you when you meet the DPE. First impressions are very important!!

BTW...when my students show up for checkrides, their logbooks (and the aircraft logs) all look very similar to yours! :D

Mike

Hope your ride goes well today. As a former DPE, I think that's great. I'd tab all the airworthiness requirements in the airplane logs too.

dtuuri

<----Taking notes on how it should be done.

Seriously, anyone who looks at that and doesn't see a well organized and prepared pilot has to be crazy.

Back