T1 Lines

Bart:

You're probably geographically precluded, but if there is anyplace within rational line of sight of a location with good fast backhaul available, you might look into establishing a wireless point-to-point link, antennas on poles. I've had clients in the boonies do this.

You might also be able to use a really good directional antenna with your Wilson to zip to faster cell/ LTE?

I've said my piece. Unless the config for COS is defined as voice/vid grade, they ISPs don't really care who you are. Pretty much no one gets away unscathed inside the BGP. Any more and I'll get in trubble.

Given that I've worked in the media industry.....

But yes, I agree with you in general.

Hughesnet. But, The physics don't work. I use VPN, VNC, SSH etc... And th latency is too high.

Yes, for interactive work through VNC or even just ssh the latency through GEO is too high. If you do a lot of that then it is a killer. Ping round trip time to most places from my home is on the order of 0.7 seconds. But I've used Skype quite successfully and routinely do real time interactive Webex demos from home. Those are successful mostly because they involve streaming data, so one-way latency isn't so bad.

About to put one in my house. Current best quote is $301 a month. Any suggestions?

Any tips of advice on what to ask for/insist?

Sattelite didn't cut it. Cell service is about as bad.

T1s are really quite slow anymore.

I would first try to find a WISP

If that fails, the Verizon LTE is a very good product. You'd be amazed how far you can pick it up with a good roof antenna. If you can get it while standing outside within 1/2 mile of your house, you can probably make it work.

Seriously, find a way to limit your internet to 1.5 megabit so you know what you are getting into before you do it.

Latency will be lower and SSH fine, but loading cnn -- painful.

The T1 from centurylink will be unrestricted. I've used the product. Having said that, for 1.5 megabit the bandwidth cost is so minimal ($20) that it's all the backhaul/transport. COS is better used for cases where high bandwidth is provided for little cost (100 meg $50/month home connection).

This is a big, and rather complicated discussion. Start here: http://www.cisco.com/support/toolkit/CableModem/CoS.htm

You would need to get definitions for your COS configured on your port/port group. After that, of course you need to find out your guaranteed minimum downstream rate, etc.

Like I said, this is a pretty big config discussion. I'm doubting you are getting the COS and min data rate of a full T-1 at that price, but for that kind of money, you should make sure.

I run into problems with data link providers even on commercial accounts where they are often run as dynamically adjusted rate using various multiplexing schemes to keep the pipe as full as possible. Sadly, the most common multiplexing schemes are reactive, and cannot predicatively provide data rates for highly bursty, or varied traffic patterns.

There's a lot more to discuss, but the link is a good start based on what I think you're trying to buy.

I would need to move at least 8 miles up the road to get DSL or Cable.

If you have line of sight to a house 8 miles up the road from your roof (or feasible tower height)... you can make it work.

What about ethernet over copper from Centurylink?

Posting an address or nearby street intersection may help us look at options.

Last edited:
VPN is really what does HughesNet in. They stated that utilzing VPN essentially cuts the bandwidth in half as they already compress everything to give you the impression of faster speeds

More importantly, they can no longer do TCP acceleration and pre-fetching/pre-caching. The only reason they can make VSAT seem fast for 90% of the use cases (read: web browser and e-mail), is they can locally acknowledge requests and pre-fetch traffic (TCP and HTTP acceleration). It works well, but once you encrypt that traffic the local box can no longer do this.

Look at www.bandwidth,com. We use them from time to time to find us quotes on lines. Decent people and pretty quick. $300 for a full T1 isnt horrible, but like others above, I have had my fights with CL before. Not as bad as ATT back in the day "loop the smartjack" It was always the smart jack, the fight was getting ATT to loop it to see the issue.

BW will resell centurylink at discount prices. They will not tell you the sourcei in many cases, but of CL is the only one available... However, OPs price is good -- they may only save $30/month or so. I'd prefer a more flexible contract with CLINK.

Bart:

You're probably geographically precluded, but if there is anyplace within rational line of sight of a location with good fast backhaul available, you might look into establishing a wireless point-to-point link, antennas on poles. I've had clients in the boonies do this.

You might also be able to use a really good directional antenna with your Wilson to zip to faster cell/ LTE?

Lots of ways to do the top thing. Ubiquity stuff works great. I'm behind the hill. I'm thinking about finding the back-haul location first and then making a deal with the houses on top of the ridge. ;)

Also make sure the Wilson is the correct one to handle the correct band of your particular carrier's LTE signals.

Some Wilson devices are not LTE capable, the ones that are are typically listed as "quad" band and often people buy the wrong one for their carrier as rebanding continues...

Back