T-6 in central Missouri

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
Just heard from a guy I know on a car forum - we've chatted a few times.

He was riding with his son-in-law in a T6. Both survived. SIL is pretty beat up, my forum buddy got banged up but didn't break anything and was just released from the hospital.

Was supposed to be a fun Father's Day flight from KJEF.

ec61000c-f0f9-4acb-9118-0e600d8394bc-large16x9_planeII.jpg

I think I am going to stop flying after seeing all these dang planes crashing! :oops:

I think what happened here is that Missouri git lonely once that airplane left the ground. It must have reached up and snatched that T-6 from the sky to ease its loneliness. Because everyone knows that Missouri loves company. ;)

FYI; a invoice for the pun tax is on it's way.

Two cadets at the Air Force academy were bragging in their off time about
what good hunters they were. Well, it seems that they decided to have a
contest, and whoever won the contest would be accounted the better hunter.
To make the things a little more interesting, they each put up a pint of
the best brew they could find.

There had been rumors that a lion had escaped the local zoo and was
roaming around loose in the mountains that surrounded the academy. The
contest was that whoever bagged the lion and brought it back to base was
the winner. The first cadet borrowed a large hunting rifle and set about
hunting down the lion in the conventional manner. The second cadet, who
was perhaps a bit more inventive than his counterpart, secured a training
jet from the local commander, loaded the wing guns with live ammunition
and headed out over the mountains in search of the lion. It wasn't long
before he spotted it, and, from the safety of the plane, killed it. He
took the plane down, loaded the lion's body into the copilot's seat, and
headed back to base, where he promptly downed both bottles. Proving once
again that:

"A strafed lion is the shortest distance between two pints."

That looks like the cockpit, but umm...where's the wing. Did it fall off?

Glad they walked away. Shame about a great airplane. Eventually we're going to run out of them.

They didn't exactly walk away, but they did survive. SIL is looking at a lot of surgeries, he's pretty torn up (one leg broken in four places below the knee, along with many other injuries). Sounds like his face took a pretty good shot, too (fractured jaw, cheekbones, teeth, ...). FIL is out of the hospital today, with nothing broken.

That looks like the cockpit, but umm...where's the wing. Did it fall off?

Glad they walked away. Shame about a great airplane. Eventually we're going to run out of them.
That'll buff right out.
:)

I lost a friend in a T-6 crash here earlier this year. We forget how demanding these airplanes are. Trainer, yes; but the T-6 was designed to transition students into high-performance fighters, and there was a lot of "collateral damage" in wartime training accidents.

I wonder how long it will take for an earthpounder soccer mom to exclaim that they failed to file a flight plan and think of the children.

Glad they survived, though with injuries. It looks like the fuselage took a good hit and protected them greatly. The canopy seems in good shape too.
Hopefully the SIL will pull through and heal quickly and return to flying. The T-6 is a ton of fun to fly. (literally)
I wonder what the interview with the pilot and pax will tell.

Again, glad that they survived. We don't hear too many "good" news about plane crashes.

A bit of showing off going on?
Dunno.

He said he noticed the trees getting close. The next thing he remembers was the two of them outside the aircraft. He assumed his SIL pulled him out, but later realized the SIL injuries were serious enough it didn't happen that way.

Back