Synthetic Vision

Altimeter, airspeed, and heading (or TC) tells you all you need to know and saves your bacon if the AI failed. Recovery is stop the heading change and then freeze the needles, throttle as required.
We generally teach checking the airspeed before the yaw indicator (HI if it's working, otherwise T&B/TC) and moving the throttle accordingly because if you're nose high (i.e., decelerating), you want to get the nose down and power up before the plane stalls. OTOH, if you're nose low, you need to get the wings level before pulling in order to minimize airspeed gain, pitch change and altitude loss, and avoid the potential for an overspeed, or over-g during a rolling pullout. Altitude gain on a nose-high recovery is not usually a problem unless you're right under the anvil of a TRW or flying under the overhand of a cliff.

We generally teach checking the airspeed before the yaw indicator (HI if it's working, otherwise T&B/TC) and moving the throttle accordingly because if you're nose high (i.e., decelerating), you want to get the nose down and power up before the plane stalls. OTOH, if you're nose low, you need to get the wings level before pulling in order to minimize airspeed gain, pitch change and altitude loss, and avoid the potential for an overspeed, or over-g during a rolling pullout. Altitude gain on a nose-high recovery is not usually a problem unless you're right under the anvil of a TRW or flying under the overhand of a cliff.

That is pretty much how I was taught as well.

I would point out that SVT adds nothing to the game in terms of spatial disorientation when compared to a non-SVT electronic AI display.

I'd agree, but my point was that you don't have to spend $20-30k to get certified SVT installed in a certified plane.

Hey guys...

Just want to share some knowledge on the Levil AHRS systems when combined with an iPad ;)

1. Levil manufactures both certified and non-certified AHRS systems. Unlike other iAHRS, the iLevil goes through the same calibration process and quality control as our certified units. When others "help guide you", the iLevil provides exceptional performance during flight.

2. The iLevil does alarm you if the system went wrong. It is constantly cross-checking the 3-axis gyros and accelerometers and compass, and if they don't agree with each other, then it sends an error message. It is not as advanced as cross-checking two separate AHRS, but it does pretty good on its own.

3. The Levil AHRS is NOT GPS dependent. Unlike other iAHRS, attitude is NOT-GPS derived or enhanced by any means, reducing any errors induced when GPS is not working, or even shutting down the entire system.

4. Unlike a mechanical gyro, the Levil AHRS is designed to work properly during a power RESET even if the aircraft is up-side-down

I agree that the iLevil-iPad combination will never be as accurate and reliable as a certified-panel mounted display. They go through a lot more tests and certifications to make flying safer. However, I really do believe in the benefits of having the iLevil/iPad as a backup, not just because I trust our products, but because it has really helped many pilots out of critical and non-critical situations in the past, safely.

Some Apps are better at displaying Synthetic Vision than others.. For example, Xavion is simply amazing for spacial disorientation. If you are disoriented and in a really bad attitude situation, arrows indicating where to go are very helpful:

Xavion-1.png
Xavion-2.png

Regardless if you can or can't afford a 20-30K system, having a really advanced back-up can't hurt...you can put it away if you don't want to use it... but if/when you need it.. you'll want to have the best.

Ananda Leon
Systems Engineer at Levil Technology
"Fly straight and Levil"

I'm very interested in synthetic vision as a back up in case of spatial disorientation.
Here is a link to a product that can offer synthetic vision on an ipad or android. I wonder if this is exactly what I'm looking for?
Thoughts?
http://www.aviation.levil.com/AHRS_mini.htm

I am using an iLevil paired with the WingX Synth Vision. I am pleased with the combination for backup AI. I have been pleasently surprised at how well the AHRS function of the iLevil does perform. If you have any specific questions either shoot me a PM or post here.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Back