Synology Network Attached Storage (NAS)?

One little thing to think about: A malware program that encrypts data will encrypt everything it can find. The only solid insurance IMO is a backup device that is connected only during backups and otherwise not accessible to the source computer. The big SATA drive in my gun safe suffices, but if I ever have to use it my rollback point might be a month ago. I am not too disciplined about pulling it out to do backups.

I have a Synology DS416 with 4 1TB drives in a raid 5 array. It's been trouble-free for ~3 years of moderate use. I periodically back it up to a removable external drive. Not getting a cheap external drive to back stuff up while you decide what to do is false economy, in my opinion.

Nauga,
back up

Similar setup and I swap the external drive every 2 weeks, keep 1 at home then swap it with the one in work office, that way I always have an offsite copy.

Just don’t trust cloud backup services

Some things need that, some don’t.

Doesn’t matter anyway, Uncle Sam voted themselves the right to demand your unencryption passwords if you ever cross a border, at will, and no due process or 4th Amendment rights for Citizens.

If you don’t comply and they know you have something encrypted that they want to see, they can detain you indefinitely under the terrorism laws and hide your court case from public view under FISA.

So I'll pick nits here. It's more subtle than you've described.

It isn't a "voted right" on their part. It is however, adopted DHS/CBP policy. Congress had not reigned them in, and the courts have said you have no right to privacy.

Technically, if you are a citizen, the CBP policy gives them the right to demand passwords from you at the border for any application installed on your computer. They are NOT supposed (under the policy) to permit that computer to be connected to the internet or demand any password for stuff that's not on the computer. YOU can be detained only for a short period of time (not "indefinitely"), and as a US citizen, they must admit you to the country. Courts have held that you have a First Amendment right to not disclose the passwords (but your fingerprint or retina scans are not so protected). Should you exercise that First Amendment right, they can detain the device indefinitely, copy the device storage, and turn it over to other agencies to try and decrypt/extract information.

Policy document here: https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/f...rder-Search-of-Electronic-Media-Compliant.pdf

That's the policy. In practice, though, some agents may elect to violate that policy, and potentially "disappear" you. Not smart on their part, but they do usually manage to get compliance. They can also revoke any "trusted traveler" designation you have, and could potentially put you on a watch list or DNF list, thereby making your life miserable.

If you are NOT a US citizen, none of the above holds, and they can deny you entry to the country.

Other countries, the authorities can demand your passwords to online and offline stuff & arrest you if you don't comply. The UK comes to mind.

All of that is one big reason that a growing number of companies and individuals take "loaner" computers & phones on international travel and provide end-to-end encrypted cloud services for data that must be used. Some even instruct travelers to securely "wipe" data and apps from their computers before re-entering the US. So if the equipment gets searched or seized the information is not on the device (and they can discard the device if they ever get it back). (other reasons for loaners include potential theft, industrial espionage, and ensuring compliance with ITAR and technology transfer laws). Data that crosses borders is likely to be sucked up by the big NSA vacuum that taps international communication - using end-end encryption makes it harder to decode (in which case NSA stores it until they can find a way to break the code).

And very few Citizens seem to care. Or even stupider, want it that way.
"If you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to hide". "out of an abundance of caution". Sigh.

All well and good but definitely against the clear wording of not being able to search property and person in the 4th.

You said the courts have ruled against the 4th in this matter. They had to base that upon a law added after the 4th, didn’t they?

All well and good but definitely against the clear wording of not being able to search property and person in the 4th.

You said the courts have ruled against the 4th in this matter. They had to base that upon a law added after the 4th, didn’t they?
They've ruled that your rights at the border are limited as long as the search is for the purpose of keeping out "contraband" and/or protecting the nation ('national security'). So every fishing expedition is based on those reasons. The constitution gives some deference to 'protect the border'. Same rationale that's used to conduct 'inspections' (searches) of physical items crossing the border.

It's my understanding that physical characteristics like fingerprint and retina are not considered "expression" while passwords are. Head of a pin.

They've ruled that your rights at the border are limited as long as the search is for the purpose of keeping out "contraband" and/or protecting the nation ('national security'). So every fishing expedition is based on those reasons. The constitution gives some deference to 'protect the border'. Same rationale that's used to conduct 'inspections' (searches) of physical items crossing the border.

It's my understanding that physical characteristics like fingerprint and retina are not considered "expression" while passwords are. Head of a pin.

Yeah. I’m still wondering what law did they base this “contraband” or “national security” search thing on, though? I know they like to make up laws and claim “public good” at SCOTUS but I’m not a fan of legislation from the bench.

AFAIK the Constitution only mentions the border in defense of war, and says the military is responsible for it, unless I’m not remembering something.

That’s the real problem now. A state of continual undeclared war can always justify anything. Just call it what it really is. Mini-Marshal-Law.

I’ve read a bit about the bad law that makes up the supposed legal justification of inland border searches, hundreds of miles from the borders.

That crap is really flimsy, at best.

Oh well. Rah rah Freedom and Apple Pie. Whatever.

We’re ranked 16th or so on various human rights and freedoms lists now. Might as well shoot for 20th place? Everybody needs a goal to shoot for.

Maybe they should have used this to find the thief in the other thread instead of the cop having to stake out his own hangar. LOL. :)

And to tie this to another thread, Snowden won’t let a cell phone anywhere near him according to the few who’ve interviewed him.

He flipped out when a reporter showed up with one that was supposedly turned off, quite some time ago. Soft power buttons mean nothing is ever really all the way off...

Maybe they should have used this to find the thief in the other thread instead of the cop having to stake out his own hangar. LOL. :)

And to tie this to another thread, Snowden won’t let a cell phone anywhere near him according to the few who’ve interviewed him.

He flipped out when a reporter showed up with one that was supposedly turned off, quite some time ago. Soft power buttons mean nothing is ever really all the way off...
Correct. There is a reason they are not allowed in SCIFs. It is also a reason (yet another) why non-removable batteries are a problem because the rule some of us used to follow was to remove batteries during certain meetings.

Correct. There is a reason they are not allowed in SCIFs. It is also a reason (yet another) why non-removable batteries are a problem because the rule some of us used to follow was to remove batteries during certain meetings.

I have a funny SCIF story if we ever meet in person. Remind me.

Want me to price out a datacenter for you? I can build it inside a garden shed, it will be beautiful.

You want one of these. You know you do. :)

51099199c9cc022734f5eaf95e126533.jpg

Get some cheap a$$ hard drives or hard drive / SSD combo, use USB 3 to connect all of them to ur computer, use windows storage space to create whatever form of redundancy u the want. That’s cheapest and that’s what I do. If u want more IO, for ur video editing, use storage tiering along with storage space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back