Switching Electronic Logbooks

One of the (many) things I like about MyFlightbook is the auto-recording of the flight. I press a button when I start the engine, and using GPS it figures out when I've taken off and when I've landed, auto-fills the airports, marks the times of day for each, and records the GPS track of my flight en route.

Is any of that necessary, or necessarily important to someone who's happy with Excel? No.

But I like it.

I've been using MyFlightBook for a couple of years (at least. I don't really remember when I switched from Excel.) and I did not know about these features! I've got to look into that.

John

Pretty simple....you shouldn't have to manually enter the tail number AND the type for EVERY flight. And, you should be able to have a "favorites" or "frequently flown" list to expedite entries when you regularly fly multiple aircraft. LBP only remembered last aircraft.

That might be the case for a GA pilot. But LBP isn't really designed for a GA pilot, it's for 121/135 guys, and in that case, many of them wouldn't want the ridiculous list that what you are proposing would create. I love LBP and wouldn't give it up for the world, even if it costs me yearly to sync from my iphone to desktop.

But, if you wanted that function, I can't blame you for wanting to swap.

That might be the case for a GA pilot. But LBP isn't really designed for a GA pilot, it's for 121/135 guys, and in that case, many of them wouldn't want the ridiculous list that what you are proposing would create. I love LBP and wouldn't give it up for the world, even if it costs me yearly to sync from my iphone to desktop.

But, if you wanted that function, I can't blame you for wanting to swap.

121, maybe, but most 135 guys I know are moving between a fairly small set of tail numbers. So make the linkage / lookup an option. Neal's designed a nice looking product, but I'm happier now with MLB...more features, less money.

I started using myflightbook as a brand new student, within my first hour I immediately thought "there has to be an electronic version so I put all this stuff in and automatically see totals wherever I am and on any device". So I did some quick googling and found that within a few minutes.

It doesnt look sexy, but that's not a necessity. I'm not a fan of some of the more in-depth options, like when I'm looking at my progress toward my PPL and run that query it sometimes gives me some issues because I've documented night-time landings (that's whats on the new flight page) but I didnt dig through the settings and find the "night time take offs" and modify that for the flight.

Minor issue and a bit of a pain. The only other thing was that as a student starting out before I knew what ASEL even meant, it seemed pretty complicated. I wish there had been a "training wheels" mode for newbies. Initially when I logged my first handful of hours I logged every trip in the pattern as an approach. Once I started the academics part of my training I corrected those entries. So a "student pilot" profile/setup would have been cool

121, maybe, but most 135 guys I know are moving between a fairly small set of tail numbers. So make the linkage / lookup an option. Neal's designed a nice looking product, but I'm happier now with MLB...more features, less money.

Fair enough. Depends on the 135 operation I guess. I'm qualified in probably 60 specific tail numbers. Do I fly them all, no, but there is a chance.

I started using myflightbook as a brand new student, within my first hour I immediately thought "there has to be an electronic version so I put all this stuff in and automatically see totals wherever I am and on any device". So I did some quick googling and found that within a few minutes.

It doesnt look sexy, but that's not a necessity. I'm not a fan of some of the more in-depth options, like when I'm looking at my progress toward my PPL and run that query it sometimes gives me some issues because I've documented night-time landings (that's whats on the new flight page) but I didnt dig through the settings and find the "night time take offs" and modify that for the flight.

Minor issue and a bit of a pain. The only other thing was that as a student starting out before I knew what ASEL even meant, it seemed pretty complicated. I wish there had been a "training wheels" mode for newbies. Initially when I logged my first handful of hours I logged every trip in the pattern as an approach. Once I started the academics part of my training I corrected those entries. So a "student pilot" profile/setup would have been cool

How your CFI feel about having to endorse each flight on there?

I appreciate this thread. I knew there were products out there but hadn't really looked around. My main goal is to have a backup of my paper log. I don't intend to use the automated features, or really go into calculating the time of certain maneuvers ect. So far it seems straight forward.

Silly questions regarding using an electronic means of logging vs a traditional book:

How does the electronic record account for your CFI's signature and ID# for your dual flights? Is that signature and number a required item on the record?

How about all those endorsements?

How about the memos?

Silly questions regarding using an electronic means of logging vs a traditional book:

How does the electronic record account for your CFI's signature and ID# for your dual flights? Is that signature and number a required item on the record?

How about the memos?

Many provide for digital signatures. In my case, I still maintain my paper logbook, too.

I too keep EVERYTHING entered into the digital log book (also thinking of switching to LBP from Pilot Pro) and keep the paper log book solely for dual instruction, sign offs, endorsements and signatures.

My CFII was skeptical about my methodology but the DPE was perfectly fine with looking at the digital log book on the Ipad for verification of the different hours in each category then verifying the endorsements in the paper log.

I too keep EVERYTHING entered into the digital log book (also thinking of switching to LBP from Pilot Pro) and keep the paper log book solely for dual instruction, sign offs, endorsements and signatures.

My CFII was skeptical about my methodology but the DPE was perfectly fine with looking at the digital log book on the Ipad for verification of the different hours in each category then verifying the endorsements in the paper log.

If I hadn't gone with MyLogbook.com I would have seriously considered LogTen Pro. I'm impressed with how they handle logbook endorsements. Once the instructor has added his real signature via the iPad (surprisingly effective), that logbook entry is locked. You can unlock it and edit it, but the signature goes away. Seems pretty effective.

How about the memos?
In the case of MyFlightbook, there are a few ways this can be done. Lowest tech is that you can scan a paper signature and attach it to the flight or to your profile as an endorsement. 2nd lowest tech is that you can use the mobile app and hand your phone/tablet to your instructor at the end of the flight and they can do a fingertip-signature and enter their CFI number there (and the flight is then cryptographically signed); this model works great for ad-hoc relationships with an instructor, getting checked out, etc. Or you can go full-digital and establish a relationship between yourself and your instructor(/student) and the instructor can sign flights and issue endorsements entirely digitally, including their CFI # and expiration.

In the case of MyFlightbook, there are a few ways this can be done. Lowest tech is that you can scan a paper signature and attach it to the flight or to your profile as an endorsement. 2nd lowest tech is that you can use the mobile app and hand your phone/tablet to your instructor at the end of the flight and they can do a fingertip-signature and enter their CFI number there (and the flight is then cryptographically signed); this model works great for ad-hoc relationships with an instructor, getting checked out, etc. Or you can go full-digital and establish a relationship between yourself and your instructor(/student) and the instructor can sign flights and issue endorsements entirely digitally, including their CFI # and expiration.

I haven't tried the iPad signature feature yet on MyFB....need to look into that. Is it unchangeable once signed?

I haven't tried the iPad signature feature yet on MyFB....need to look into that. Is it unchangeable once signed?
Yes...and no. You can edit the flight after it has been signed, that's fine, but if you do the signature will be invalidated. (There are a very few things you can change without invalidating the signature, such as images or telemetry, but any of the fields or properties will invalidate the signature). It will show as signed but invalid. If you undo the changes, the signature will become valid again. You can have an instructor re-sign a flight that has an invalid signature.

Yes...and no. You can edit the flight after it has been signed, that's fine, but if you do the signature will be invalidated. (There are a very few things you can change without invalidating the signature, such as images or telemetry, but any of the fields or properties will invalidate the signature). It will show as signed but invalid. If you undo the changes, the signature will become valid again. You can have an instructor re-sign a flight that has an invalid signature.

I didn't find this feature the other day when I needed it. So we did a written endorsement, I photographed it (along with his CFI license) and attached the image to the flight, which was tagged as a flight review. Seems like it will do the trick. I'll keep the written copy in my logbook, too.

Nice thing about it, is if your CFI doesn't like the techie stuff, you can do exactly what you did, and have the best of both worlds.

Just checked it out and created an account. I look forward to using it.

I couldn't stand LogTen. I bought it accidentally.

Back