Switching Electronic Logbooks

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
I used FlightLevel for a number of years, but they suddenly disappeared so I switched to Logbook Pro. Logbook Pro has some awesome features, but a couple of glaring deficiencies, one of which ultimately compromised the integrity of my logbook. Plus, they charge what I think is an excessive amount to be able to sync from a remote device, and an additional amount for cloud backups.

So when my sync subscription ran out this week it was time to revisit the alternatives. I reviewed the multiple electronic logging threads here, then visited the various vendors' sites. Much of the information in those threads is still pretty current and accurate.

After doing my due-diligence, I decided to give MyFlightbook.com a try. As was noted in those threads, it's not the prettiest web site in the world, but the functionality is actually pretty rich (with a few hidden gems!) and ultimately that is what matters.

Equally important is their support....Eric, the proprietor, spent a fair amount of time helping me prep my data for import...which was made a bit trickier because of Logbook Pro's lack of validation on types/tail numbers....one of the issues I've had with that product. (I've brought this issue up with the developer multiple times, only to be told "You don't need that!" Huh?? The customer doesn't know what they need? :hairraise: After three years, I give up!)

The best part is MyFlightbook is free! However, being one that understands there are costs involved in such a service (not to mention a lot of effort), and after experiencing the personalized support they offer, I opted to send the money that would have gone for the sync feature in my old program as a donation to MyFlightbook. With that small donation I get the bonus feature of a nightly backup being automatically dropped in my Dropbox cloud account. So, this morning I woke up to the backup being in the cloud (Dropbox) and on my PC (via Dropbox's sync) automagically! Gotta love that! :yesnod:

Usual Disclaimer: No affiliation with the site....just an impressed user.

Also a satisfied user of MyFlightbook.

Me too, and I've made the donation as well!

The nice thing is, MyFlightBook.com is not pushy about the donation thing. It's an unobtrusive option that you can hit if you like, but there isn't a constant, in your face "DONATE NOW!!!!" push.

Developer is incredibly responsive and has made numerous feature improvements, both online and in the iOS version.

I have been considering the same change (Logbook Pro to Myflightbook), but haven't had the time to figure out the data migration. Did you export to a spreadsheet/CSV? Can you share the specific field mappings/changes needed?

As an option, a simple Excel spreadsheet works for me.

It has running total, and it's easy to sort in order to get time in type, hours in last 6 months, whatever.

Crude but effective.

I have been considering the same change (Logbook Pro to Myflightbook), but haven't had the time to figure out the data migration. Did you export to a spreadsheet/CSV? Can you share the specific field mappings/changes needed?

I exported to Excel, did my cleanup there, then saved to CSV format. Trickiest part is getting your aircraft types validated first since they use a common, universal database. Since I have about 250+ tail numbers and 70+ types that took some work. Copy those to columns to a separate sheet and import those first. Eric will be happy to look over your data if you have any questions. Their online helps are pretty thorough.

It's a good change for me. I hate giving $$ to unresponsive vendors.

It has running total, and it's easy to sort in order to get time in type, hours in last 6 months, whatever.

Crude but effective.

For the same investment (or much less if you don't own Excel!) you can do your logging on an iPad or Android device real-time and have instant totals anytime, anywhere, including an instant 8710 tally. Not crude AND effective!

Last edited:
I too am a happy user of MFB and Eric is very responsive to questions and also open to suggestions. So if there's something that could be added to or improved on MFB, do not hesitate to talk to him.

I too am a happy user of MFB and Eric is very responsive to questions and also open to suggestions. So if there's something that could be added to or improved on MFB, do not hesitate to talk to him.

Yeah, I already made two suggestion....he responded showing me where both were already implemented! Can't beat that!

Crude but effective.

That's what I use, add google docs to it and you got a fully customizable log which can hold pictures and be viewed on nearly any device. Plus I doubt google is going anywhere.

I was thinking about making a gSheet in google drive for a custom logbook. Depends if I have that kind of motivation in life some weekend.

For the same investment (or much less if you don't own Excel!) you can do your logging on an iPad or Android device real-time and have instant totals anytime, anywhere, including an instant 8710 tally. Not rude AND effective!
+100
I'd also mention that not only are iOS and Android supported, so is Windows Phone. I'm very grateful for that.
I often use the web version once I get back home to help me verify totals for my paper logbook when I finish a page.
I love the product AND support!

Yep....spreadsheets work just fine...until you've used a real logbook program. Then you realize what you were missing. The beauty of MLB is, if you've already got your time in a spreadsheet, you're 90% of the way to having all the functionality you're missing with no cost.

Yep....spreadsheets work just fine...until you've used a real logbook program. Then you realize what you were missing. The beauty of MLB is, if you've already got your time in a spreadsheet, you're 90% of the way to having all the functionality you're missing with no cost.

Until myflightlogbooks.net or bubbagumpslogginstuff.org goes TU. I have much more faith in Google being around. Besides what am I missing, my google sheet is a near clone of a jep logbook plus seaplane and glider and a pay calculator or my side CFIing, I can add pictures, honestly its boardeine on too much. I can export as a million different formats or print it as a PDF.

Until myflightlogbooks.net or bubbagumpslogginstuff.org goes TU. I have much more faith in Google being around. Besides what am I missing, my google sheet is a near clone of a jep logbook plus seaplane and glider and a pay calculator or my side CFIing, I can add pictures, honestly its boardeine on too much. I can export as a million different formats or print it as a PDF.

Which is why MFB is good. Click a button and voila, a copy of your entire logbook is exported onto your Dropbox. Become a donor, and you get a copy of your logbook exported every day to your Dropbox.

They go Tango Uniform, BFD, you've still got all of your data.

I think someone would buy them before they'd go TU.

I exported to Excel, did my cleanup there, then saved to CSV format. Trickiest part is getting your aircraft types validated first since they use a common, universal database. Since I have about 250+ tail numbers and 70+ types that took some work. Copy those to columns to a separate sheet and import those first. Eric will be happy to look over your data if you have any questions. Their online helps are pretty thorough.

It's a good change for me. I hate giving $$ to unresponsive vendors.

I only have maybe 1/2 a dozen types. That shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks

Since he's delivering a full backup to me nightly, his disappearance is not a concern. As I said before, you'll never know what you're missing until you use one. Then you won't want to be without it. A spreadsheet works....as do paper charts, a plotter and an E6B. But once you've flown with an iPad, you know there's a better way.

I think someone would buy them before they'd go TU.

I think he's got a big enough following that only a small percentage need to donate to make it worthwhile. Once I saw how helpful he was and the feature set he's offering, throwing a few $$ his way was easy.

Since he's delivering a full backup to me nightly, his disappearance is not a concern. As I said before, you'll never know what you're missing until you use one. Then you won't want to be without it. A spreadsheet works....as do paper charts, a plotter and an E6B. But once you've flown with an iPad, you know there's a better way.

Have you tried the telemetry option on iOS/Android/WindowsPhone? where it records and attaches your GPS track to the log entry? Can't do that with Google Sheets!

Have you tried the telemetry option on iOS/Android/WindowsPhone? where it records and attaches your GPS track to the log entry? Can't do that with Google Sheets!

Not yet but looked at it. I like his interactive graphs where you can trace anywhere along the line for some drill-down details.

I'm discovering more cool items as I explore the nooks and crannies.

I have been using myflightbook for a few months now, I love it! Favorite things is just set the Hobbs beginning, tap engine start, not much else to do. The GPS tracking is surprisingly very thorough. I can see how my students do there steep turns.

I have emailed him several times with addition flight properties and once with a change in logic (CFI checkride a counting as flight reviews)

He has always been responsive and a pleasure to work with. I don't know how many years I have been using it, maybe 2010 or 2011?

It's nice to have a responsive developer. The two things I've been asking for in Logbook Pro for two years were already implemented in MyLookbook.com.

Did you contact LogBook Pro support? They've responded to me at 3AM and fixed things.

Did you contact LogBook Pro support? They've responded to me at 3AM and fixed things.

Yes...had numerous email exchanges with Neal, the owner/developer. He kept telling me that I didn't "need" what I was asking for! Uh, what?? Why would I be asking for it, and why do most other products have those features??! :rolleyes:

(p.s. It wasn't an issue of unaddressed bugs. Those were dealt with. It was lacking functionality, combined with pricing that ultimately caused me to switch.)

I'm curious what you were asking for now. Ha.

Pretty simple....you shouldn't have to manually enter the tail number AND the type for EVERY flight. And, you should be able to have a "favorites" or "frequently flown" list to expedite entries when you regularly fly multiple aircraft. LBP only remembered last aircraft.

Both of which are nicely handled by MyFlightbook. I'm finding I like the richer capabilities of the iPad and Android apps. With LBP you only see what's been entered on that device. MFB gives you everything, regardless of where it was entered. Overall, a more capable product for much less money. A worthwhile switch.

That explains why it doesn't bother me. 99% of my flying is in the same aircraft. I thought it auto-filled as you typed but honestly I'm not going to go test it. I'd have to test iOS and desktop versions to see if they behaved differently, too.

I can see why he'd say you don't NEED it, but he shouldn't ignore something that simple if it's losing him customers.

I thought you said it was a data integrity problem though? Sounds more like a data entry problem to me.

Yet another MyFlightbook user here who's had good experiences with Eric over the years, and has thrown him a few $$ to say, "Thanks!"

That explains why it doesn't bother me. 99% of my flying is in the same aircraft. I thought it auto-filled as you typed but honestly I'm not going to go test it. I'd have to test iOS and desktop versions to see if they behaved differently, too.

I can see why he'd say you don't NEED it, but he shouldn't ignore something that simple if it's losing him customers.

I thought you said it was a data integrity problem though? Sounds more like a data entry problem to me.

With no validation of tail number vs. type you inevitable have data entry problems...assuming humans are at the controls. I discovered a number of such errors on this conversion. A small number, but they existed nonetheless.

The fix for it was so simple, but it was obvious it had become a religious issue for him, so he didn't want to do it. Which is fine. As long as he has enough users who don't care. But I stopped recommending it to my students a year ago.

With Excel and flying the same plane most of the time, COMMAND-" fills in the contents of the cell above, accomplishing much the same thing!

Whatever works for you. Show me an 8710 out of your Excel spreadsheet....this one took about four seconds to get:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 38
That is cool, and certainly more elegant than a mere spreadsheet.

In Excel I'd have a little project to come up with that information - probably take about 10 to 15 minutes or so.

And at this point in my (waning) career, I don't think many, if any, 8710's are in my future.

But whatever works for you, as well!

That is cool, and certainly more elegant than a mere spreadsheet.

In Excel I'd have a little project to come up with that information - probably take about 10 to 15 minutes or so.

And at this point in my (waning) career, I don't think many, if any, 8710's are in my future.

But whatever works for you, as well!

You're not renewing your CFI?

The point is, why even waste the 15 minutes of your life creating something when it's all there for free?? :dunno: It's not like someone is trying to sell you something! You've already got the data in Excel....use those 15 min. to put it in MFB and you have the 8710 and all the other benefits from then on!

To each his own.

You're not renewing your CFI?

Probably not, it's been expired for a while now. Same with my medical. Might seek to get one or both back if I see the need, but I doubt it.

The point is, why even waste the 15 minutes of your life creating something when it's all there for free?? :dunno: It's not like someone is trying to sell you something! You've already got the data in Excel....use those 15 min. to put it in MFB and you have the 8710 and all the other benefits from then on!

When I worked for County gov't, the motto was, "If it's free, it's for me!"

May try it. I had my data in a relational database for the Mac called "Helix Express". Eventually just dumped it all into Excel and it's been adequate ever since.

But thanks for the encouragement.

One of the (many) things I like about MyFlightbook is the auto-recording of the flight. I press a button when I start the engine, and using GPS it figures out when I've taken off and when I've landed, auto-fills the airports, marks the times of day for each, and records the GPS track of my flight en route.

Is any of that necessary, or necessarily important to someone who's happy with Excel? No.

But I like it.

Back