Switch from Regional to Mainline

NealRomeoGolf

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
NRG
Do Part 121 routes ever switch from regional to mainline? I don't know how the contracts work between the carriers on how easy that is. Putting more capacity on a route via adding an additional flight per day is probably easier than moving from regional jets to bigger jets. But what does that look like? We have a route to DFW twice daily that is always booked solid and with my former employer now moving it's HQ to Dallas, the demand on that route is even higher than ever. Just wondered if AA would ever move it over to bigger jets. Not sure how many A319s they have but that would be the next logical step to me from the E175.

I don't know much about the topic, other than to offer a data point. FlightAware shows a mix of Delta Connection Skywest ERJs and Delta 737s between KMSP and KBIS. It looks like the current schedule has the 737 cover the final arrival to KBIS each night (departing 11 p.m.) and the first departure back to KMSP each morning (at 5 a.m.) I recall they did something similar with the KMOT run at some point between 2008 (NWA merger) and present (although all the flights listed when I searched just now are Skywest ERJs). So it is at least possible for an airline to serve a route with a real airliner in between regional arrivals.

Behind the scenes, there’s a massive contract between the two that details when and how routes are added, changed and dropped usually with some load factor and seat-miles equalizers thrown in for good measure. So, rarely will it happen in a vacuum but every schedule release is chance to optimize, pending aircraft and crew availability, in addition to demand.

Yes. Many routes on Delta I used to fly at Endeavor that are now mainline and vice versa.

Yes,and there is even a term for it, up-gauging. Now the decision making process is complicated, but prior to COVID many regional routes were being up-gauged from small regional jets to mid to large size regional jets, and large regional jets to mainline narrowbody aircraft.

Aircraft used on routes change constantly. Some changes are long term and some seasonal. Currently regional airlines are shrinking and routes moving to the mainline. This is being driven by the pilot shortage. Delta has 160 RJ’s under contract that are parked for a lack of CA qualified pilots.

I was surprised to read how low regional pay was. I thought all of that was bumped up with the pilot shortage and was encouraging a friends som to check it out.

He came back with crazy low numbers. I said that's not right but . . . Google says it is. Fir 1-5 years at the regional, after paying for your own training.

If I could fly the line under Basic med that would be my encore career!

Most regionals are starting pilots around 100k a year. Vastly better than the 20k just 10 years ago.

I was surprised to read how low regional pay was. I thought all of that was bumped up with the pilot shortage and was encouraging a friends som to check it out.

He came back with crazy low numbers. I said that's not right but . . . Google says it is. Fir 1-5 years at the regional, after paying for your own training.

If I could fly the line under Basic med that would be my encore career!

Regional pay IS much better than it was 10 years ago. But 10 years ago it was worse than public school teachers.

One thing to consider is that if you just look at base pay on Google, it will look much lower than a regional pilot will actually make.

The ones to watch out for though are the regionals that offer hiring bonuses and try to make it look like that is your expected annual pay.

@Jeff767 that's what I thought, too, but the press disagrees.

I'll have to dig fit the articles but from this summer she showing the traditional ~$20k with terrible duty times etc.

I love me some FFD bashing, but spade a spade, regional pay is up considerably from the lost decade years. APC et al has somewhat dated payscales, but still reflective of that new pay reality. Concur with @Fearless Tower on watch out for training contracts. Republic's current one is spicy, stand by for the eventual litigation to pop up.

My airline is drawing down 50 seat flying, and upgauging many routes. I am going places in an Airbus that haven't seen mainline service in a long time.

Concur with @Fearless Tower on watch out for training contracts. Republic's current one is spicy, stand by for the eventual litigation to pop up.
Southern Airways started filing lawsuits against pilots who are former employees on July 4th this year, 2023 in Palm Beach County, FL. As of today, 81 lawsuits filed.

Back