Swapping wheel pants (newer style) on a Cessna 182

robertb

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
robertb
Hi there,
After getting new progressive eyeglasses, I managed to smack my shin into the wheel pant of our 1972 Cessna 182P. The plane is equipped with the older style (longer and skinnier) wheel fairings. Well, my shin survived better than the fiberglass and now I am looking at repair options. I was thinking about pulling all three off (with A&P sign off, of course) and having the fiberglass repairs made and then repaint. Or, what about adding the newer style wheel pants (rounder and more bulbousy looking)? Any thoughts of installing a different style would be a problem from a paperwork point of view? I don't expect any performance difference but was thinking the aesthetics might be a nice change.

Thanks in advance gang!

Any thoughts of installing a different style would be a problem from a paperwork point of view?
Depends. Swapping various Cessna items between models can go either way, but without part numbers or specific aircraft models or S/N ranges hard to make the call. The main issue is how the fairing (pant) is mounted whether it will be a simple swap paperwork wise. Then again I usually recommend removing speed fairings and store them till you sell the aircraft.

Depends. Swapping various Cessna items between models can go either way, but without part numbers or specific aircraft models or S/N ranges hard to make the call...

Thanks for the reply. Our s/n is 18261562. I removed the fairings yesterday and have done so before when headed on camping trips. Two of the three have some cracks of various degree. We use the plane and are not afraid to be a bit adventurous. I would rather have a plane with a few nicks and scratches in her than one we aren't willing to take into a dirt or more primitive strip. So to me, its just part of the regular maintenance program.

Stene Aviation makes fiberglass wheelpants for Cessnas. This one here https://www.steneaviation.com/collections/composite-parts/products/sa-0541223-16 Is an example of the blunter style that is PMA'd for the 182P. (Edit: the later 182Ps, so your airplane isn't included. Sorry.) They also have the long skinny pointy pant for the same airplane, so they have done the work to get the blunter type approved.

Stene makes good stuff. I used to buy their wingtip/stab/elevator fairings, strut fairings, and so on. It was a lot cheaper than trying to fix the cracked/crumbling ABS plastic junk, and the fiberglass is far stronger, nearly the same weight, and is easily repairable. It also survives the UV and cold weather much better.

I also bought one of these maybe 7 years ago. It's the tail stinger fairing for the 180/185.

upload_2023-5-29_10-11-11.png

Fiberglass, not plastic. Cessna still sells the plastic one, and at the time I bought this, the plastic Cessna part was nearly $5K Canadian (maybe $4k US at the time).

Stene's stuff is no-brainer stuff. McFarlane is a dealer for Stene, and the prices look about the same.

Our s/n is 18261562. I removed the fairings yesterday
What size are your main tires? Does the outboard side of your main wheel fairing mount to a hubcap or to an axle nut? Based on your S/N, comparing online diagrams and common P/Ns between the new and older style installations it may be doable to swap fairings. But I'm unsure if the same strut fairings will work. My best guess is if you can obtain a newer set of fairings with all the associated mount fittings and hardware it should "bolt on" to your landing gear fittings. Now whether that's an economical choice I couldn't tell you. And since the newer style is listed under the aircraft specifications it can be done with just a logbook entry. That is provided your mechanic sees it that way as well. To check availability on used newer style fairings I'd call Faeth Aircraft Parts in Sacramento. They have a large selection of Cessna salvage and are good people.

There was a guy in Camarillo that managed to swap out his 70s-style wheel pants for the new 'fat' restart fairings. The new style encompass the brake calipers and wheel together without the separate cover. It's a nice look and maybe saves a knot or two? Anyway, the guy said it was very expensive to round up all of the required parts but he managed to do it and get it signed off. He documented the process on the old Cessna Pilots Assn web forums.

C.

Stene Aviation makes fiberglass wheelpants for Cessnas. ...
When I repainted my 172, I replaced the wingtips and all fairings with Stene fiberglass. They are higher quality than the OEM parts, and more durable.

As for wheel pants, the slower you cruise, the less difference they make. In my view, if you cruise slower than 150 kts then they they're not worth the hassle. Of course that is the pragmatic perspective, though speaking of style, I like the naked wheel look which shows the airplane is used in the real world, and you might occasionally land on grass or gravel.

Our 182H has pants and I can’t stand them. They are too low to get to the valve stems to check tire pressure or add air. Very annoying. Rest of club likes the look but not practical IMO. Need to get a set with those little doors.

FWIW, I took the wheel pants off my 1967 182K. Easier ingress and egress, easier to check tire pressure, and I just think the plane looks better. I'm not worried about sacrificing a couple of knots of airspeed. YMMV.

What size are your main tires? Does the outboard side of your main wheel fairing mount to a hubcap or to an axle nut? Based on your S/N, comparing online diagrams and common P/Ns between the new and older style installations it may be doable to swap fairings. But I'm unsure if the same strut fairings will work. My best guess is if you can obtain a newer set of fairings with all the associated mount fittings and hardware it should "bolt on" to your landing gear fittings. Now whether that's an economical choice I couldn't tell you. And since the newer style is listed under the aircraft specifications it can be done with just a logbook entry. That is provided your mechanic sees it that way as well. To check availability on used newer style fairings I'd call Faeth Aircraft Parts in Sacramento. They have a large selection of Cessna salvage and are good people.
Great info Bell! The mains are 6.00-6. Our current wheel pants have the outer bolt screwing into the axle nut (no hubcaps).

There was a guy in Camarillo that managed to swap out his 70s-style wheel pants for the new 'fat' restart fairings. The new style encompass the brake calipers and wheel together without the separate cover. It's a nice look and maybe saves a knot or two? Anyway, the guy said it was very expensive to round up all of the required parts but he managed to do it and get it signed off. He documented the process on the old Cessna Pilots Assn web forums.

C.
Thanks! I'll take a look for the forum post. But "very expensive" sounds a bit like I'm barking up the wrong tree. ;)

... Of course that is the pragmatic perspective, though speaking of style, I like the naked wheel look which shows the airplane is used in the real world, and you might occasionally land on grass or gravel.
Yep, I agree. Our plane has seen more than one or two dirt strips and I usually take the pants off before she plays in the dirt. Occasionally that doesn't happen though hence some of the extra cracks in them.

Had a similar thought on the cowl of an old Cherokee Six to the cowl of the 6x

Back