Swapping between GTX 330 and 327?

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Sending my 330 off to Garmin for repair/upgrade to ES and wondering if a 327 can be used as a temporary slide-in replacement?

I do not believe so. The 327 is pin compatible only with the 320/320A.

Sending my 330 off to Garmin for repair/upgrade to ES and wondering if a 327 can be used as a temporary slide-in replacement?

Check with your shop. Mine (Lancaster Avionics) had a loaner unit to swap out with while mine was sent in for the upgrade.

Check with your shop. Mine (Lancaster Avionics) had a loaner unit to swap out with while mine was sent in for the upgrade.

We do have a spare 330, as well but I believe it will need to be reprogrammed with the appropriate Mode S code.

Since we also has the non-mode S 327 I wanted to see if it was an easier swap out.

The trays aren't compatible between the two units.

We do have a spare 330, as well but I believe it will need to be reprogrammed with the appropriate Mode S code.

Since we also has the non-mode S 327 I wanted to see if it was an easier swap out.

Page 5-15 of the install manual discusses putting in the tail number for mode S. Looks like a pretty easy procedure.

Yeah, the avionics tech reprogrammed the code in just a few minutes. Seems to be the easy way to go.

Hmmm. So I can't easily upgrade from my 327 to a 330ES for ADSB compliance? Shoulda known!

Hmmm. So I can't easily upgrade from my 327 to a 330ES for ADSB compliance? Shoulda known!

Both the 330ES and the Garmin WAAS navigator need to be at an appropriate software version level to get ADS-B out. 330ES also gets your TIS-A or B (in), can't remember which.

Then the WAAS navigator must be wired, RS232 for the GTN, to the 330ES.I would assume that most 327s were never wired to anything other than a blind encoder.

Last edited:
Both the 330ES and the Garmin WAAS navigator need to be at an appropriate software version level to get ADS-B out. 330ES also gets your TIS-A or B (in), can't remember which.

Then the WAAS navigator must be wired, RS232 for the GTN, to the 330ES.I would assume that most 327s were never wired to anything other than a blind encoder.
I have at least one more connection: My 430w gets baro from my 327. I only know this because it yells at me if I turn the 327 off.

Back