SW Ohio has another airport at risk...

Local paper says that the information that is out there was not supposed to be shared because it was not really even an option, but with that said it has been leaked and now they are trying to smooth things over.

The article went further to explain that they have been talking with some private individual about purchasing because they "The city" has been floating a lot of money every year for the airport while they still have well over a million in notes for the hangers.

That city is getting desperate for money as it is falling apart. I would assume that nothing is off the table for them. It might turn out better for a person or company to purchase the airport. There has been a lot of growth at that field over the last couple years and it is one of the busiest around the area.

Hope it doesn't get out of control. They started leveling blue ash as soon as they could legally.

I used to be in FLAPS, the local aeroclub at KMWO. Great airport to fly out of. They have a lot of newer hangers and good facilities. I must say that I try to avoid the area because they have people jumping out of good airplanes there but that may be what saves the facility as they are doing a lot of skydiving business there.

Lets hope this airport can avoid the fate of Blue Ash.

I used to be in FLAPS, the local aeroclub at KMWO. Great airport to fly out of. They have a lot of newer hangers and good facilities. I must say that I try to avoid the area because they have people jumping out of good airplanes there but that may be what saves the facility as they are doing a lot of skydiving business there.

Lets hope this airport can avoid the fate of Blue Ash.
Yeah iirc there is not only a ton of jumping there, but also an extremely active heli school, right?

Yeah iirc there is not only a ton of jumping there, but also an extremely active heli school, right?
Yea they have a heli school, but extremely active, I wouldn't use those exact terms. ha! They do fly some yes. The skydiving group is extremely active. Maybe not this time of year, but they are usually dropping divers about every 20-30 min.

Geez, all these PoAers who live in SW Ohio. Maybe we should schedule a gettogether.

U live here too?? Get together s are great. :thumbsup:

Yeah, moved to the Cincinnati area in July. Probably should update my location since I'm no longer the roaming hippie that I previously was. :)

Well now you have to wait for the nine days next year when there is no ice on the ground. (grin)

Local field has the same thing.. heli school and constant skydiving. I don't avoid it or mind the action that much, but it does make it a PITA to go there. Got to remember to tie down the plane even for a 5 minute stop as the helos high hovering around create a lot of wind on the ramp

Yeah, moved to the Cincinnati area in July. Probably should update my location since I'm no longer the roaming hippie that I previously was. :)

I am really sorry about that, lol I work in cinci but live on the north side of dayton, I'm down for a meet up!

and keeping with the thread, there is a Frisch's (big boy for the locals) across the street from the runway, that might make a good spot.

someone should start a poll for dates and location....

Well now you have to wait for the nine days next year when there is no ice on the ground. (grin)

Try going to Canada. Just watched a video saying that runway overruns are twice the worldwide average in Canada due to their northern (read: cold) climate. I'd believe that, having landed on ice runways there.

I am really sorry about that, lol I work in cinci but live on the north side of dayton, I'm down for a meet up!

and keeping with the thread, there is a Frisch's (big boy for the locals) across the street from the runway, that might make a good spot.

someone should start a poll for dates and location....

Sounds like a good idea. Just guessing, we'd probably be best off waiting until after Christmas.

I'm not anticipating that in the near future! ;)

Whew....... I was afraid that if the hair was shorter that would make the famous "deice pellet" picture obsolete..:rolleyes:..

Since it is that time of year.. maybe the pic can make its annual appearence .:dunno::dunno::)

Sounds like a good idea. Just guessing, we'd probably be best off waiting until after Christmas.

Unless, of course, an out-of-town member happens to come visit during the holidays.... :)

Might make if it is before I move from i19 to Steamboat in Jan for the ski season. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Unless, of course, an out-of-town member happens to come visit during the holidays.... :)

Good point. My mom will be in town and I need an excuse to get out of the house. :D

Even if we don't have a gathering, let me know when you're in town - would be great to get together.

I am good for Frischs. Its is maybe a three minute flight LOL. There are some great places to meet all over the state. Two that come to mind are Grimes (killer pies) and Portsmouth. Both have active restaurants with great food.

I am good for Frischs. Its is maybe a three minute flight LOL. There are some great places to meet all over the state. Two that come to mind are Grimes (killer pies) and Portsmouth. Both have active restaurants with great food.

If we are doing state wide, I second grimes! +2 on pies, and their tenderloin is good too

-VanDy

There is a good ice cream shop in SE Indiana, Greensburg I think. They also have skydiving there and a tree that is growing out of the roof at the court house in town. Very interesting.

Good point. My mom will be in town and I need an excuse to get out of the house. :D

Even if we don't have a gathering, let me know when you're in town - would be great to get together.

Will let you know as it draws near. Most likely sometime between the 25th and 1st.

Has anyone else went to see the work that is progressing on the B17 in the museum at Grimes? Pretty cool stuff. I wish I was in a place to retire as I would love to be helping with that rebuild.

Matt, lets not let this OH, IN meet die, let's get this done some weekend coming up.

Has anyone else went to see the work that is progressing on the B17 in the museum at Grimes? Pretty cool stuff. I wish I was in a place to retire as I would love to be helping with that rebuild.

Matt, lets not let this OH, IN meet die, let's get this done some weekend coming up.

That is fine with me Tim. I know its not going to be easy this time of year to get people together with the holidays and such, but we can try it for sure. I was just up at Grimes about 2 weeks ago and I didn't really notice the work they were doing.

There is a new looking building up near the MVH Helo hanger that has the B-17 project, A flying B-25, a Fairchild, A gooney bird and an old Steerman. Lots of neat stuff and it is free. Worth the walk a bit to the north.

Grimes is one of my favorite stops. Color me in if we can get a VFR day acceptable to everyone. I don't do the whole Xmas thing, and my semester ends next week.

I'm actually considering an early afternoon romp over to Grimes if the weather stays clear, which it is forecast to do.

I am flying a friend to breakfast in the morning. Not sure if it will be Grimes or Portsmouth. They both have a nice restaurant. I would love to go back to the eatery in Mansfield but I think it has closed.

I am flying a friend to breakfast in the morning. Not sure if it will be Grimes or Portsmouth. They both have a nice restaurant. I would love to go back to the eatery in Mansfield but I think it has closed.

Ever been to the new restaurant at 38D?

They built it only a few years ago, I was in there once when we lived nearby just before we had to move down to ATL.

Clean, food was good, not too expensive. Cool decorations and atmosphere.

I was looking at the website for 38D tonight. Will definitely head there some weekend. I think it will be Portsmouth for tomorrow.

YNG was always fun also. Coming in and out is a view of the air reserve base. I used to sit out there and watch the C-130's come and go. Very loud, and very cool!

Back