SVFR

FlyBoyAndy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyBoyAndy
Can you request a SVFR departure from a non-towered airport that doesn't fall in any other towered airspace or doesn't have a FSS on the field?

Can you request a SVFR departure from a non-towered airport that doesn't fall in any other towered airspace or doesn't have a FSS on the field?
You can request it, but without direct radio comm with ATC on the ground there (e.g., an RCO) I don't think you'll get it. In addition, there must be Class E to the surface, i.e., the dashed magenta line around the airport.

No difference between my answer and Steve's -- you can request it anywhere, anytime. However, whether you can get it is another story entirely.

No difference between my answer and Steve's -- you can request it anywhere, anytime. However, whether you can get it is another story entirely.

Communications down to the runway surface, either direct to ATC or via a rapid relay such as an FSS RCO, is a requirement of a surface area. SVFR clearances are relayed through FSS the same way IFR clearances are.

Communications down to the runway surface, either direct to ATC or via a rapid relay such as an FSS RCO, is a requirement of a surface area. SVFR clearances are relayed through FSS the same way IFR clearances are.
Plenty of fields have an RCO or some other way to relay a request, but are not Class E to the surface. You can call Detroit Approach on the Clearance Delivery number from VLL and (ahem) request a SVFR departure.

Common occurrence at KVIS, which seems to report 2-1/2SM CLR all day every day..

Plenty of fields have an RCO or some other way to relay a request, but are not Class E to the surface. You can call Detroit Approach on the Clearance Delivery number from VLL and (ahem) request a SVFR departure.

Of course. Just as you can call Cleveland Center while cruising VFR in deteriorating weather conditions and request a SVFR clearance.

Wait. My airport is class G from the surface to 700 and then after that class E (airport O69). I saw in the airport lounge a "ground link" to ATC has been installed so you can now talk to ATC controllers on the ground. Problem is, SVFR would suck because we are surrounded by hills and mountains. Not good.

Then there's no SVFR authorized at your airport, and while there's nothing to stop anyone from requesting it, the request cannot be granted.

Thanks. I saw 8 miles viz a month ago and hated it even though I was a passenger and the pilot was instrument rated and we were perfectly legal, so I'm not the SVFR type anyways (I'd rather cancel).

Thanks. I saw 8 miles viz a month ago and hated it even though I was a passenger and the pilot was instrument rated and we were perfectly legal, so I'm not the SVFR type anyways (I'd rather cancel).

Only time I've used SVFR as a low-time VFR pilot was to do some pattern work. Ceilings were about 1,200 AGL with 10+ vis, so with a SVFR I could fly the normal 1,000' pattern (SVFR is "Clear of clouds", so no rule about needing to be 500' below them)

Only time I've used SVFR as a low-time VFR pilot was to do some pattern work. Ceilings were about 1,200 AGL with 10+ vis, so with a SVFR I could fly the normal 1,000' pattern (SVFR is "Clear of clouds", so no rule about needing to be 500' below them)

With CFI's I've flown low patterns, lower than TPA.

However, by myself (only because my Dad an ex Air Force pilot drove 2 hours to see the plane) I've stuck to flying TPA or better (meaning the TPA is 1100 feet and the AWOS said 1600 overcast or better so I had the legal 500 feet below the clouds clearance and I never left the pattern)

Wait. My airport is class G from the surface to 700 and then after that class E (airport O69). I saw in the airport lounge a "ground link" to ATC has been installed so you can now talk to ATC controllers on the ground. Problem is, SVFR would suck because we are surrounded by hills and mountains. Not good.

Special VFR is available only in a surface area, that "ground link" to ATC allows pilots to obtain and cancel IFR clearances.

Back