suwannee traffic, NDUMA55 holding short of 7....

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
.... will wait for the 3 planes in the pattern for runway 25 (which is the way the wind is blowing) to finish doing touch and goes and then I'll takeoff and make right traffic out of the pattern....

I flew from Tampa to cross city listening to this. It was hilarious. Plane after plane tells the guy the wind is blowing the other way. Plane after plane taxi's around the guy down to 25 and take off while he continues to hold short. One came in from a 4 mile final. But damn if he didn't keep calling his hold short for at least 1/2 hour until there was nobody around, and take off on 7, with the wind, and make his right turn.....

Last edited:
What was the wind?
there, not sure, but not far away it was 8 knots from 220. It wasn't the downwind takeoff as much as it was the willingness to sit there for 1/2 an hour rather than taxi to the runway everyone else was using.

.... will wait for the 3 planes in the pattern for runway 25 (which is the way the wind is blowing) to finish doing touch and goes and then I'll takeoff and make right traffic out of the pattern....

I flew from Tampa to cross city listening to this. It was hilarious. Plane after plane tells the guy the wind is blowing the other way. Plane after plane taxi's around the guy down to 25 and take off while he continues to hold short. One came in from a 4 mile final. But damn if he didn't keep calling his hold short for at least 1/2 hour until there was nobody around, and take off with the wind on 25, and make his right turn.....
Actually said “three planes”. That is hilarious. How long would have it taken to turn around and just join the pack?

Crazy stuff like this lately. Had another CFI ask us to extend downwind, right after we had turned downwind. Told her takeoff, we’re midfield DW. Another yesterday on final, airplane holding short asks “are you TG or FS?” Told him don’t know yet, training flight. Don’t know what difference it would have made anyway. A lot of hesitation like what do I do.

Actually said “three planes”. That is hilarious. How long would have it taken to turn around and just join the pack?
At lest two planes went around him and taxied to the other end of the runway and took off while he sat there.

He didn’t actually say that, but he acknowledged there were planes in the pattern the other way and that he’d wait. He also acknowledged that a guy was on a 4 mile final the other way, and he’d wait....

Maybe he wanted to practice a downwind takeoff. I’m struggling to think of any other explanation.

Afraid of flying deeper into the MOA???

...,not like that makes any sense either.

Afraid of flying deeper into the MOA???

...,not like that makes any sense either.
The base of the MOA is 8000, I seriously doubt that was a concern.

Back