Survey

Pherrer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JL
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to complete my thesis at Embry Riddle and need help with my study. Can you please take this survey which only has 7 questions regarding your training and VFR cert.

Thanks for the help.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MST6MNY

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to complete my thesis at Embry Riddle and need help with my study. Can you please take this survey which only has 7 questions regarding your training and VFR cert.

Thanks for the help.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MST6MNY

Why is it that Embry-Riddle students think we're their convenient solution to a grade? And on top of it, this "student" doesn't even understand common aviation terminology. "VFR Certificate"? Really now. If this person were my student, they'd be flunked immediately.

Why is it that Embry-Riddle students think we're their convenient solution to a grade? And on top of it, this "student" doesn't even understand common aviation terminology. "VFR Certificate"? Really now. If this person were my student, they'd be flunked immediately.

Last I checked your PPL is a "VFR Certificate".. Embry Riddle probably hammers that in to their curriculum more than your run of the mill part 141/61 school..

I can't for the life of my wonder why this bothers you, but hey, to each there own! You can just not respond to the survey..

I'll fill it out!

"Have you flown in to IMC conditions with 200 hours after receiving your certificate"

Tops out at 5-8. I can't count how many times I've done that after I've started my IR training and received my IR rating.

Last I checked your PPL is a "VFR Certificate".. Embry Riddle probably hammers that in to their curriculum more than your run of the mill part 141/61 school..

I can't for the life of my wonder why this bothers you, but hey, to each there own! You can just not respond to the survey..

[rant on]
Show me where in Part 61 the definition or phrase "VFR certificate" occurs. It does appear in Part 91, but I can't find it anywhere in Part 61. There is "privat pilot certificate" with VFR limitation, day-only limitation, etc.

My real complaint? That E-R students take the easy way out by asking a group of pilots questions that are so nebulous as to be statistically irrelevant. E-R thinks that surveymonkey is a legit statistical instrument and it's not. It's a delivery mechanism, and few of the students understand how to create a meaningful analytical survey. But hey, they get the grade without understanding anything about real statistics.

The survey questions are ambiguous.

[end of rant]

Completed it in about 30 seconds...glad to help.

And welcome to POA. Hopefully, you'll become an active contributor here.

[rant on]
Show me where in Part 61 the definition or phrase "VFR certificate" occurs. It does appear in Part 91, but I can't find it anywhere in Part 61. There is "privat pilot certificate" with VFR limitation, day-only limitation, etc.

My real complaint? That E-R students take the easy way out by asking a group of pilots questions that are so nebulous as to be statistically irrelevant. E-R thinks that surveymonkey is a legit statistical instrument and it's not. It's a delivery mechanism, and few of the students understand how to create a meaningful analytical survey. But hey, they get the grade without understanding anything about real statistics.

The survey questions are ambiguous.

[end of rant]

That's OK, I skewed the results. I had 5-8 reportable accidents I had to report to the FAA, along with 3-5 other indicents. And the max number of IMC encounters (this one was true though, as I was doing my IR training with less than 100 hours)

I do think the first post answer my survey people don't deserve honest answers. Now if it were a member who actually contributed, I'll give honest answers. Until then, they get the same answers I give survey people when they call my house.

"You used 426 boxes of condoms this month?"
"Yes, it was a slow month."

Thanks for those that answered.

Murphey, E.R. does make us jump through hoops to get our masters. My thesis was business and health related but they makes us do something aeronautical related. I actually have my VFR, but haven't flown since I can't afford to do my masters and keep current. After this class, if I pass I am getting back in and going for my IFR. Sorry I don't have the experience you do and know the lingo as well as you. In my profession and life, people need help from other people, you can either help or you can drive by. If you drive by you don't have to stop and rant, but if you do that is your free right to. Everybody has the right to be bitter. God bless America for that. And if you did answer the survey, thank you for that.

I still need 20 more surveys so if anyone has time, please take my survey. You might see this in other forums. Thanks again everybody.

Murphey, E.R. does make us jump through hoops to get our masters. My thesis was business and health related but they makes us do something aeronautical related. I actually have my VFR, but haven't flown since I can't afford to do my masters and keep current. After this class, if I pass I am getting back in and going for my IFR. Sorry I don't have the experience you do and know the lingo as well as you. In my profession and life, people need help from other people, you can either help or you can drive by. If you drive by you don't have to stop and rant, but if you do that is your free right to. Everybody has the right to be bitter. God bless America for that. And if you did answer the survey, thank you for that.

I still need 20 more surveys so if anyone has time, please take my survey. You might see this in other forums. Thanks again everybody.

A+
Like you, I don't walk on water either.
You asked people to fill out a survey.
Don't see where you said what the data would be used for other than your thesis, so how anyone can say anything about the questions, I really am not sure.
You took the high road, not everyone that posted can say that.

Survey done

I actually have my VFR, but haven't flown since I can't afford to do my masters and keep current. After this class, if I pass I am getting back in and going for my IFR. Sorry I don't have the experience you do and know the lingo as well as you.

Maybe that's how ERAU thought you, I wouldn't know. The point is that there is no such this as a "VFR Certificate", there is however a Private Pilot Certificate which allows you to fly VFR. If you want to fly IFR you get an IFR rating, but you will still be a Private Pilot. What puzzles everyone here is that when you were getting your privates you had to know what certificate you were going for, you can't just show up to the checkride without knowing what the checkride is for.

Actually I got my private along time ago when I just got into college. Didn't go to ERAU for flying but unfortunately its been 10 years or so. I figure it will be 30+ hours for me to get back in. Forgot most of everything and went to get my master at ERAU for management, but for the thesis they make you do aviation. My original thesis was the study of allowing the medical professionals use of electronic communications with patients and how that will speed patient care. The communication would have to be managed and special care would be given to meaningful use and Hipaa.

If anyone has the time and wants to read my thesis paper and critique and help me fix, Shoot me a message as I would be more than grateful for the help. I will fix the VFR cert reference in my paper and thanks for pointing that out.

I still get a chuckle out of these. ER is the only vo-tech school I've ever heard of that tells kids they're writing a "thesis". The one about checking tire pressure was a classic.

I still get a chuckle out of these. ER is the only vo-tech school I've ever heard of that tells kids they're writing a "thesis". The one about checking tire pressure was a classic.

I chuckle every time too.... I assume ER does this excersize in futility so the students feel like they are getting their money's worth.......

Personally I would be leary of hiring a ER grad based on this bizzarre routine..

Unless you are purposely trying to be sarcastic and insulting, you would not refer to Embry Riddle (one of the premier aviation schools in the world) as a "vo-tech" school.

I'll gladly take the survey.

When a student, even a graduate student is given an assignment, the purpose is usually for them to learn from it. If they were already experts they would not need to do the assignment. And the lousy grammar used by some people criticizing the OP is kind of funny too.

So welcome to POA Pherrer. We are just a mix of the real world here. There are some good people and some dorks.

By the way, what campus do you attend? The ERAU campus here in Daytona Beach is a fantastic institution and we are all quite proud of the school and the students.

I chuckle every time too.... I assume ER does this excersize in futility so the students feel like they are getting their money's worth.......

Personally I would be leary of hiring a ER grad based on this bizzarre routine..

I don't hire people, but I know of more people who pass on ERAU grads than look at it as a bonus.

I don't hire people, but I know of more people who pass on ERAU grads than look at it as a bonus.

My guess is because they are too cheap to hire highly educated and intelligent people. Or because ERAU grads are way too over-qualified for the jobs your acquaintances offer.

My guess is because they are too cheap to hire highly educated and intelligent people. Or because ERAU grads are way too over-qualified for the jobs your acquaintances offer.

Or it's because the students are told they are worth more than they actually are, and they have an inflated sense of self worth because they went to ERAU. Dealing with employees that think they are more important than they actually are has people shy away from hiring them. This doesn't apply just to ERAU, this applies to any school that feeds the students that.

Should we just change the title of the post to "Why people think Embry Riddle is a sham" or should we have people actually answer the survey?
In response to EdFred's "I'll give him the same response I give to telemarketers": The people who call your house are specifically asking you for your input and disturbing you in your home, so I see no problem with "trolling" them. When someone posts on a public forum that you have every ability to not look at or simply press the back button instead of answering, you're intentionally corrupting someone else's work. Whether or not you agree with the school's policy shouldn't matter. Would you ever give these kinds of false answers to a kid who came up to you on the street and said, "hey, I see you're a pilot--I'm interested in learning more about your experiences"--I would hope not, but this is essentially the same scenario. Plus, stop trashing Embry Riddle: just because you didn't get to learn about and fly around in planes for your entire education doesn't mean you should be bitter about those who do... And no, I don't go there (but sometimes wish I did).
Oh, and yeah, I do agree that Survey Monkey isn't exactly the best means for gathering statistical information--you may want to consider using another method. Don't accept the school's standard as your own. Go above and beyond if possible.

In response to EdFred's "I'll give him the same response I give to telemarketers":

Perhaps you missed this:

...if it were a member who actually contributed, I'll give honest answers.

If Austin or David, or anyone else who's been here a while, enrolled at ERAU and then asked the question, yeah, I'll be straightforward with it. Showing up out of no where, and asking the question, it annoys me. It's the equivalent of that kid on the street coming up to me and asking me to do his homework, not just because he's curious about flying. Rather than go through the NTSB reports, or Nall reports, they want us to do their research for them.

I completely agree that it's not the best way to do it, and even said so in my post. It's actually a pretty crappy way to do this if you're looking for accurate results, as evidenced by people like you who corrupt them, or others who have never touched a plane and answer them anyway. I'd never rely on something like this as an actual statistic. But, I still don't think you should go out of your way to mess it up since he's not interfering with your life at all or obligating you to do anything by posting--no different than putting up a flyer in the world's largest GA airport. If he wants to do it this way, so be it. I don't know if I'll actually convince you that it's not right to do this, and you've certainly got a point yourself, but that's just my own little rant.

one of the premier aviation schools

ok, let's put it in perspective. Running through some of my employees who have post-grad degrees from *real* schools, some of their thesis projects include:
  • Environmental factors affecting welding metallurgy in rail joints
  • Chemisty of biofuels interacting with rubber compounds
  • Psychological factors affecting vehicle driver wakefulness and reaction time
  • Economic trends in mine expansions affecting investment in freight transportation
Contrast studies in these various fields with the aviation "college" studies:
  • Checking tire pressure.
  • Flying into a cloud
If you want to go to a vo-tech school to learn to weld or do HVAC work or drive an airplane then great. Those are all worthy and valuable activities. But let's keep a small amount of perspective about it.

• Checking tire pressure.
  • Flying into a cloud

• Determining the amount of force exerted by entrapped gasses upon the inner wall of an aircraft tire with relation to ambient pressure.
  • Entering low visibility portions of air saturated with dihydrogen monoxide collected around condensation nuclei while aviating under Visual Flight Rules.

JL, I would modify your hour ranges on question #2. I earned my PPL in 37 hours, as the 141 minimum is 35 (the lowest range starts at 40).

All I see are a bunch of opinions from people who actually didnt attend Embry-riddle. Funny how so many people speak out of things they "heard" or read in message boards from other people who "heard" things. A good friend of mine goes there, and he is getting an okay education while getting his commercial certificate. Sounds fine to me.

OK, I filled it out. For future reference, a question that starts out "Have you..." is a yes or no question. Not one that has as answers the number of times you have done whatever.

And, as to IMC time prior to 200 hours TT, I'd have to look at my log. Any of it would have been dual instruction on an IR flight plan. That would suggest that this question would have been better asked something along the lines of "How many times did you inadvertently enter IMC while flying VFR?"

Just some suggestions... :D

I completely agree that it's not the best way to do it, and even said so in my post. It's actually a pretty crappy way to do this if you're looking for accurate results.....

I'd never rely on something like this as an actual statistic......

I don't know if I'll actually convince you that it's not right to do this, and you've certainly got a point yourself, but that's just my own little rant.

You answered your own question....... Saying ERAU is a quality learning center and then they accept Survey Monkey as legit source of data for a thesis, and according to you "(It's actually a pretty crappy way to do this if you're looking for accurate results)" ....

It begs the question. Why would a University accept crappy data from their students?:dunno:

One more down.

Thanks IAPTBAA,

I go to the online world wide campus and am located in Georgia. For the most part I have enjoyed ERAU as a school. I would like them to be more open on letting their students choose their thesis topics, but the classes I have taken have been beneficial. Especially the ones that are inline with my career.

When I finish my degree my plans are to go back and earn my IFR as I enjoyed getting my VFR. It was challenging but very rewarding but I moved out of my parents and had to deal with real life and couldn't fly due to budget. I will probably post in this site to see what people think is a good school in Georgia as well as where to start after a ten year hiatus.

Thanks IAPTBAA,

I go to the online world wide campus and am located in Georgia. For the most part I have enjoyed ERAU as a school. I would like them to be more open on letting their students choose their thesis topics, but the classes I have taken have been beneficial. Especially the ones that are inline with my career.

When I finish my degree my plans are to go back and earn my IFR as I enjoyed getting my VFR. It was challenging but very rewarding but I moved out of my parents and had to deal with real life and couldn't fly due to budget. I will probably post in this site to see what people think is a good school in Georgia as well as where to start after a ten year hiatus.

The problem with that is that they would actually have to have someone competent at evaluating your thesis.

You answered your own question....... Saying ERAU is a quality learning center and then they accept Survey Monkey as legit source of data for a thesis, and according to you "(It's actually a pretty crappy way to do this if you're looking for accurate results)" ....

It begs the question. Why would a University accept crappy data from their students?:dunno:

Never said ERAU was a quality learning center--my argument was simply that they shouldn't have been so quick to walk over this person. In fact, I wouldn't consider ERAU a quality research institution. To me, they are a great vocational school--somewhere you go to learn about how to fly an airplane or fix one. I'm sure they have good aerospace engineering, etc. too, and these programs probably require a better research thesis than the mechanic program does. However, I don't know that much about the school as a whole, and that's why I didn't really comment on its merits until you prompted me to... but still, I know very little about how the school is viewed by the industry and how good it actually is. All I know and really wanted to comment on is that people were intentionally corrupting someone else's results, which is an immature move in my opinion.

The problem with that is that they would actually have to have someone competent at evaluating your thesis.
I thought I was being clever with my first MS thesis defense, I scheduled it to start at 10AM on a friday, figured I'd be out the door by 4PM easy. About 7 they decided to adjourn until monday and pick it back up. I didn't know it at the time but a 3 day defense was typical of my advisor.

Got your survey done for ya. SOme of the questions were not worded the best, but there ya go.

Survey completed. Would be interested in knowing some of the results when you have them. I'm sorry to see that some have intentionally skewed results. Seems a little unnecessary.

Done, good luck, show us the tallies please.
Try seaplaneforum.com for more participants &/or rants....
BTW: did you send a letter to help keep Waldo Lake open for your future?

Back