Surging Noise Complaints

Awesome. They can have their little button to push (at a cost of $x) and then someone needs to correlate it to the number of pushes to the actual flights overhead?

The whiner can feel good, and the analytics will last long after the pacemaker battery goes dead,

Should test the placebo effect of these buttons. Take the batteries out, but make the complainers feel like they did "something"!

I guess I can research this but who is paying for this company to provide this “service”? Are the various airport authorities involved with it? I can not see why they would want to be. Do the authorities provide an interface to their formal complaint system to this company? Why make it easy for NIMBYs to be a PITA?

I guess I can research this but who is paying for this company to provide this “service”? Are the various airport authorities involved with it? I can not see why they would want to be. Do the authorities provide an interface to their formal complaint system to this company? Why make it easy for NIMBYs to be a PITA?

I went and read the WaPo article, $24 button gets you 15 free complaints per month, $5 per month subscription gets you unlimited. Doing the math on some of the data reported in the article, it is clear some people need to play with something other than a plastic button to gain some satisfaction.

You usually have to dig a little deeper and those numbers fall apart. I’ve seen some airports where it’s 1-3 homes that basically just go nuts and file thousands of complaints a month. Usually these are people that buy a house next to an airport and then are massively offended that airplanes want to use the airport next to said house.

I’ve seen other cases where people build a brand new house next to a runway then whine to the feds until taxpayers end up installing fancy new windows in the brand new house. Can’t make it up.

Literally some people will file a complaint for any aircraft that flies over their house. Then someone doesn’t bother to provide context and just says “airport complaints up 300%” (which of course is exactly the sort of “stats hacking” the people filing all the complaints were going for).

I looked at their website.

You buy the thing, you give them your address. You push the button, they use "publicly available ADS-B data" to find the aircraft closest to your address, then send a complaint to the nearest airport.

What they don't say - does that complaint include the address of who owns the button? I can see see some of those folks pushing the button 20-30 times for a single flyover. I wonder if that generates a report for each of those button presses?

I looked at their website.

You buy the thing, you give them your address. You push the button, they use "publicly available ADS-B data" to find the aircraft closest to your address, then send a complaint to the nearest airport.

What they don't say - does that complaint include the address of who owns the button? I can see see some of those folks pushing the button 20-30 times for a single flyover. I wonder if that generates a report for each of those button presses?

There is a name for people like that....oxygen thief

Back