Surgery and recovery

Glen R

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Glen
I'm considering getting my left shoulder fixed. Bunch of issues. Aside from the obvious self grounding when I'm in a sling, what concern if any, should I have with pain meds? I take no medications now but I presume for this surgery I would be prescribed something for a week or two. Is this anything to be concerned about for future reporting?

I'm considering getting my left shoulder fixed. Bunch of issues. Aside from the obvious self grounding when I'm in a sling, what concern if any, should I have with pain meds? I take no medications now but I presume for this surgery I would be prescribed something for a week or two. Is this anything to be concerned about for future reporting?
It has not been for me. I sprained my back a few years ago and was prescribed a muscle relaxer and pain meds. Prescription was for one week. I reported that to my AME and he said it was a non issue. The FAA concurred.

I had an issue that was discovered during my medical that I had to get fixed before I could get my medical renewed.

My AME asked me if I had been off the pain meds for at least 7 days.

I had an arthroscopic procedure on my knee for a torn meniscus. I kept from flying for a couple of weeks and then resumed normal activities once I completed physical therapy.

The following spring, I went for a 3rd class medical. I saw an AME I hadn't previously been to. It turns out he's an occupational medicine guy who doesn't do very many FAA medicals. He took one look at the medical history declaration and said he was "required" to defer my medical. Took me nearly a year, a lot of research, and then a lot of effort to convince the ortho surgeon and my primary care doctors exactly what I needed from them to get my medical back. I ended up typing the letters myself and having the doctors read and approve them, then have their office managers print them out on their letterhead, have them sign them and rubber stamp them, then mail all that plus the supporting documents to the FAA, then wait 3 months.

2 years later, I told this story to the AME I now go to. He said the whole thing was needless BS. That my procedure did not automatically require deferral as the previous guy had said.

Get the surgery, take the pain medication as prescribed. Don't fly until off the meds and released by your surgeon (likely some time and PT later).

If your medical will expire in the next six months, go before the surgery. Otherwise wait until fully recovered and off the meds. Disclose the surgery on your medical application. No need to disclose the meds that you're not taking when you fill out the app, unless you want to give yourself a big headache.

I saw an AME I hadn't previously been to. It turns out he's an occupational medicine guy who doesn't do very many FAA medicals.

First problem. Be very aware of doctors who are not pilots that are AMEs just to attract more business and have very little experience in pilot physicals. Which I am sure you have learned by now.

I once went to a guy that attached the leads for the EKG. He sent the read out straight to Oklahoma City without checking it first. Long story short, turns out my heart is not in what is considered the normal spot for humans so the FAA thought I had serious heart problems. $30,000 later and I got a medical again. (good insurance luckily)

I broke my back once upon a time. It was a nothing burger with the FAA. But I always treat the FAA like I’m talking to my wife after getting home from my girlfriends house.

Just kidding...

They did not have any issues with the pain meds. Not kidding.

I had surgery in 2006 while out of state on business. I made sure I got the full surgery report and also a letter from the local doctor (doing the followup exams) stating that I was fully healed, no limitations. I gave copies of all of this to my AME at my next FAA medical visit (about 12 months after the surgery). No muss, no fuss.

Good luck with the shoulder.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back