Sure is hot...

Ghery

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Ghery Pettit
in Prague. It's in the 90s.

Oh, and I'm wearing the same clothes again tomorrow. Same ones I wore riding SEA-SFO-FRA-DRS and then driving down. Why? Because LH doesn't know where my suitcase is. UA from SEA-SFO-FRA and then LH to DRS. They can't find it according to their website. Should be fun. We head for Budapest on Monday and Vienna on Thursday. I can fake it buying a few things over the next week, but I really need my coat and tie (and dress shirts, etc) when I get back to Dresden next Saturday.

Isn't life in the fast lane fun?

Next time wear all your clothes while traveling and save money instead of checking bags.....:lol::lol::lol:

And yes, it really blows big time when luggage is lost. Sorry for your bad luck...

That's why we're airplane owners, you should flown your own plane: no baggage fees, no losing baggage....

Most of Texas would like to see a cool 90* day right now!

At least I'm a million mile flyer with UA, and Premier Platinum. No fees to check bags. For all the good that has done.

LH still is looking for the bag, but they are showing it routed SEA-CDG-DRS. WTF??? It never left SEA with me? Once I finally get that bag UA is going to hear about this. At the rate things are going, I'll be in Budapest by the time it shows up. We stopped at the mall across the street from the hotel and got some new underwear, socks and a shirt. At least I'll feel civilized driving from Prague to Budapest tomorrow. This is the worst screwup I've had with luggage when riding commercial. At least there's hope I'll see the bag again. :D

I would be getting a new suit tailored tomorrow so it's ready for your meeting. Tell the airline you're doing this, they will pay.

I couldn't begin to list the amount of stuff that was lost (or stolen) when I was a torture tube road warrior. I don't miss those days at all. God bless those of you who still have to put up with the regular abuse. And, if my trip to Alaska last week is any indication, it's far worse today than 12 years ago when I quit. God it was painful on soooooo many levels.

And at least it was just your luggage that they lost...that pales in comparison with the pain of the parents who were waiting for their three kids to get off the plane in Seattle last Saturday. The kids never did. Alaska Airlines lost three kids! Dad was going ballistic (rightfully so), the Alaska Airlines employees were acting indifferent, standing around with their heads up their asses and not taking any action to try to rectify the situation (or even pretend to in order to pacify dad). I told the the gate agent "someone needs to do something about this...hell you all need to be doing something." To which she responded "that's not my watch."

So I walked over to a phone and called 911, told the airport police about the situation and they were all over it in 30 seconds or less. I didnt get to see what resolution was had as our plane boarded shortly thereafter.

Many of you told me, when I asked, that Alaska is one of the premier domestic carriers. If that's true, the airline industry is in deep, deep ****. And, God, what's up with the molded plastic seats with 1/4" of padding (at the most). Painfully uncomfortable as hell! What happened to real seats? Sleep? Fuggetaboutit.

Last edited:
At least I'm a million mile flyer with UA, and Premier Platinum. No fees to check bags. For all the good that has done.

LH still is looking for the bag, but they are showing it routed SEA-CDG-DRS. WTF??? It never left SEA with me? Once I finally get that bag UA is going to hear about this. At the rate things are going, I'll be in Budapest by the time it shows up. We stopped at the mall across the street from the hotel and got some new underwear, socks and a shirt. At least I'll feel civilized driving from Prague to Budapest tomorrow. This is the worst screwup I've had with luggage when riding commercial. At least there's hope I'll see the bag again. :D

When we moved from NYC to Seoul last year, US Airways lost 5 of our 6 checked 70lbs suitcases.
They found them a week later. I sent them about $1500 worth of receipts, and they paid every penny of it.

I couldn't begin to list the amount of stuff that was lost (or stolen) when I was a torture tube road warrior. I don't miss those days at all. God bless those of you who still have to put up with the regular abuse. And, if my trip to Alaska last week is any indication, it's far worse today than 12 years ago when I quit. God it was painful on soooooo many levels.

And at least it was just your luggage that they lost...that pales in comparison with the pain of the parents who were waiting for their three kids to get off the plane in Seattle last Saturday. The kids never did. Alaska Airlines lost three kids! Dad was going ballistic (rightfully so), the Alaska Airlines employees were acting indifferent, standing around with their heads up their asses and not taking any action to try to rectify the situation (or even pretend to in order to pacify dad). I told the the gate agent "someone needs to do something about this...hell you all need to be doing something." To which she responded "that's not my watch."

So I walked over to a phone and called 911, told the airport police about the situation and they were all over it in 30 seconds or less. I didnt get to see what resolution was had as our plane boarded shortly thereafter.

Many of you told me, when I asked, that Alaska is one of the premier domestic carriers. If that's true, the airline industry is in deep, deep ****. And, God, what's up with the molded plastic seats with 1/4" of padding (at the most). Painfully uncomfortable as hell! What happened to real seats? Sleep? Fuggetaboutit.

Yes, yes it is, and getting worse. Deregulation was a huge mistake making the airline industry a race for the bottom, and it's only going to get worse. The consumer though is the true destructor of the industry because they shop by price alone without even figuring in the differences between prices introduced by the new ala carte pricing schemes.

Last edited:

OMG.!!! I am glad you called the police. If the gate agents were doing nothing then I would have told the police they are the ones that knew the last whereabouts of the kids.

The consumer though is the true destructor of the industry because they shop by price alone

Actually, I paid $250 extra per ticket to fly Alaska. Not only because of their good reputation but because they hub out of Seattle and that split out trip to anchorage up into two flights of about 3.5 hours. Other options hubbed through ORD, DFW, or MSP and included a 7+ hour leg. More than I wanted to endure in a torture tube. But, if the other airlines had real seats instead of Alaska's molded plastic seats from hell then it may have actually been a better choice.

Last edited:
Actually, I paid $250 extra per ticket to fly Alaska. Not really because of their good reputation but because they hub out of Seattle and that split out trip to anchorage up into two flights of about 3.5 hours. Other options hubbed through ORD, DFW, or MSP and included a 7+ hour leg. More than I wanted to endure in a torture tube. But, if the other airlines had real seats instead of Alaska's molded plastic seats from hell then it may have actually been a better choice.

If you didn't like the seats on Alaska, just strike Spirit right off your airlines to consider list. Same no padding plastic seats and they don't recline. You have a carry on? Surprise, $35.

Alaska was $25 for each bag checked...we had three. Don't know if they charged for carry on.

Our innsitters arrived at the airport to return home after their stint covering the hotel while we were in Oshkosh last month.

They arrived at the ticket counter 25 minutes before departure. This was out of Corpus Christi Airport, a small international airport where it is easily possible to get through the TSA checkpoint in five minutes or less. We thought we had plenty of time.

The United ticket guy just stared coldly at them and said that they could still fly, but there was no way they could check their luggage. The guy simply stated that "the ticket says to arrive 30 minutes before flight time" for a reason. No amount of cajoling or logic could budge him.

I ended up shipping their suitcase home to them in Ohio, slow boat to China. The cost was still an insane $95.

So, we have gone from the airlines nicely reminding us to arrive 30 minutes early, as a courtesy, to get through the TSA theater, to them now using that 30 minute window as an excuse to not have to work. No where on the ticket does it say "No luggage will be accepted inside the last 30 minutes before departure -- but that's what they are now doing.

I wanted to show the United guy a video of "The High and the Mighty", with airline customers showing up 4 minutes before departure without a ticket, yet being courteously and happily accomodated. That was back when passengers were viewed as valued customers.

I wanted to show the United guy a video of "The High and the Mighty", with airline customers showing up 4 minutes before departure without a ticket, yet being courteously and happily accomodated. That was back when passengers were viewed as valued customers.

Self loading cargo. That's what we are now. And I'm still waiting for LH to find my bag. I'll update the address to Budapest tomorrow morning if it isn't here overnight. We're driving from Prague to Budapest tomorrow. Bought a new shirt, underwear and socks this afternoon. Sure glad I wore my light weight "wash in the sink and it will be dry by morning" shirt and pants for the flights over.

I had lost luggage on a Europe trip a few years ago. For a 6'2" 225# guy finding clothes in Austria and Italy isn't easy. I survived it well enough. The fine print on your airplane ticket limits the airline's liability to a couple of hundred dollars. Your homeowner insurance picks up the balance. My luggage story was different every day. It eventually made it's way back to Alaska well over a month after I got home. I still travel a lot and never check everything. I can keep a change of clothes and my travel toiletries easily enough in a carry-on and that assures I can get by. Lessons learned along the way.

You want to know just how bad commercial air travel is? Airbus has filed a patent application on airline seats with a pair or concave depressions in the back of them to fit the knees of the passenger behind you; so they can wring another 9 mm out of the seat pitch in steerage.

attachment.php

I'll take the bus. Or walk.

Attachments

• Airbus seats.jpg
    Airbus seats.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 36
Back