Super cooled Drizzle Drops

bbchien

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bruce C
Went to take an acquaintance of mine to West Lafayette, to clear his personal effects out of his gear-upped P Baron ...On the way home flying under the super wet (see the CIP at ADDS) got into the edge of a bit of rainshower at 6000 as we were turning to avoid. POW. 1/2" of clear in less than 15 seconds. I watched the drops run back and then freeze. Outside temp was 20F. Licke our wounds in a FIKI twin for the next twenty minutes, back to home in clear VFR.

1 hour after the hangar door closed, we're getting it on the ground here....ice everyplace, comes down as water and BAM! Clear iced Toyota Camry.

They're out there. Stay out of this one!

Last edited:
i just got back from the airport. the drive usually takes 25 minutes. today was at least an hour. clear ice all over the car. full defrost would not keep up if speed was over 20 or so. had to stop once to deice. i hope that mike isnt driving towards missouri tonight.

Ice pellets up here. I was going to head up north for some breakfast but it kept threating all day to do something bad. I figure in my un-FIKI Warrior that best place for it was in the hangar and for me to make pancakes.

Geesh Bruce that is a lot of ice!

Glad you were ok, Bruce. Those kind of conditions make me pretend I'm in a "plain" airplane, FIKI or not. Too many horror stories of small GA FIKI planes overcome by freezing rain.

In the Suburban @ 0 AGL from St. Louis to Elmhurst. Going thru Bloomington 1-1/2 ice on front end, full defrost no help . It did accumulate fast!

Y'all be safe out there.
We're warm (low 60's right now) but almost 0/0 along with a dense fog advisory. We hoped to get some actual in today but with the ceiling at ground level, that was not possible.

Geez, Bruce!

I had nightmares last night thinking about what it would have been like if I was flying rather than driving.

I would be dead.

Even while driving I had that "What did you get yourself into?" experience. See my post in the bulldog thread.

Even if I could stay upright, how do you land if you can't see? There are no wipers/washers on airplanes.

You need that glass heater you have.

Here's how it looks today. It's NOT moving much.

Attachments

• CIP today.JPG
    CIP today.JPG
    553.8 KB · Views: 30
Doc:

How did the fuselage look? Maybe you've identified the perfect core for Henning's Turbine P-Baronanza Experimental...

I played golf today here in Hotlanta. Must have been close to 80. We'd give about anything for some drizzle, supercooled or otherwise.

Back