Super Bowl 2014

What kind of team gives up with almost 30 minutes to play?

What message does that send? It's the Superbowl, the team was there to compete, wasn't it? Instead they just threw in the towel and declared to the world that they are just a bunch of losers.

LOL.

"Leave it all on the field!" doesn't work with those kinda of numbers, not in football and certainly not in the Stock Market.

I can go either way on that one. Are they paid to play or to win?

The press is saying today that Peyton played hard the last five minutes. LOL!

The largest Super Bowl comeback in history was 10 points.

Well, I gotta say that if I were Payton, with my age, and my history of injury, it would be kinda foolish in the long run to attempt some kind of heroic effort to overcome a 30pt lead after the halftime when the score was so lopsided.

Sorry, but the Seahawks were beating the snot out of Denver and to risk a career ending injury in likely defeat is not a good plan. Payton will live to play another year, so will Welker(I think).

LOL.

"Leave it all on the field!" doesn't work with those kinda of numbers, not in football and certainly not in the Stock Market.

I can go either way on that one. Are they paid to play or to win?

The press is saying today that Peyton played hard the last five minutes. LOL!

The largest Super Bowl comeback in history was 10 points.

I'm not talking about the Stock Market.

Until this season, the record for TD passes was 50.

The 2004 Boston Red Sox showed that baseball team can be down 3 games in a 7-games series and still win.

The 2013 Patriots overcame a 24(?) point half-time deficit to beat the Broncos. Cripes, you'd think the Broncos might have remembered that.

It's impossible, until someone shows that it can be done.

What kind of team gives up with almost 30 minutes to play?
I'm sure Denver came out of halftime all fired up to turn things around.
I can't imagine the demoralizing effect of the opening kick-off being returned for a TD.

Massive downer.

Question for the Denverites:

From all the pre-game coverage I listened to, whenever discussing Denver, all that is heard is:

"Payton Manning"
"Payton Manning"
"Payton Manning".

Are the Broncos that one-dimensional, or is local coverage of the team better than what comes from the national press?

Gotta say, the Denver Broncos are an amazing footbal team. Setting NFL record on the way to the Super Bowl is to be congratulated.

Also gotta also admire the depth of Seattle. Five TD's from five different players. I remenber the worry of loosing Percy Harvin early in the season- "Now what?" Answer: Get to the big game without him, and he just added icing on the cake for Seattle. Pretty amazing team.

I don't know all the details yet, but it just broke, the Seattle defense broke the code on Mannings hand signals, they knew what he was coming at them with.

I don't know all the details yet, but it just broke, the Seattle defense broke the code on Mannings hand signals, they knew what he was coming at them with.

Imagine the hoopla if one of the Patriots made that claim...

"Payton Manning"
"Payton Manning"
"Payton Manning".

Are the Broncos that one-dimensional, or is local coverage of the team better than what comes from the national press?

Heh. It's better locally.

The offensive linemen really are great but have held a couple of decade tradition of not talking to the press much, started long ago when they decided to play as a unit and ignore any hype about individuals.

The team also had a bejillion injuries throughout the season, so as guys would come and go, the press couldn't really stick to hyping any one particular player.

Started early with Champ Bailey going out and just kept taking different players out on and off.

(Champ's story is such a bummer. He's getting too old to do this stuff and no SB ring. Really was incredible in his prime. I wonder if he will be dropped if he can't get healthy.)

Welker of course is covered for leaving and coming here. We finally have a couple of decent but not great running backs, an area where Denver is almost always weak.

The two Thomas', Eric Decker, and the ever-present (he's getting old too) Matt Praeter who almost never misses... And got that 63 yarder in the record books this year, all covered locally. Woodyard gets little coverage, interestingly. Stokley also. They basically gave Peyton a huge pile of targets and then tried to build plays where they'd put in a bunch of them and use most of them as blockers or decoys for whoever was really receiving the ball.

The whole hand signal thing kinda makes sense if it's true. Peyton calls a lot of changes and it wasn't common to charge up the center with a running back because you'd have to swap other guys to even get any mass out there to push with, when you have a bunch of skinny wide receivers and tight ends on the field.

What bugs me the most is that both Fox and Del Rio are defensive coaches by original experience and their defensive guys make really annoying mistakes in fundamentals like proper tackling and rarely push for turnovers.

Definitely not Joe a Collier's "Pick snd Strip" defensive strategy out there these days. It's one of the reasons I still don't think Fox is head coach material. He should be all over Del Rio's ass for that. It's stuff Fox knows.

The local press pushes Manning pretty hard but not as hard as the national press.

On Defense Rogers-Cromartie and some others are kinda green but coming along.

What I thought would have been interesting would have been if they had made Kubiak an offer to come back here as an offensive coach and Fox had jumped on Del Rio and worked on defensive fundamentals.

They got really sloppy, bottom line. But they were kinda embracing sloppy fast-paced play.

Heh. It's better locally.

The offensive linemen really are great but have held a couple of decade tradition of not talking to the press much, started long ago when they decided to play as a unit and ignore any hype about individuals.

The team also had a bejillion injuries throughout the season, so as guys would come and go, the press couldn't really stick to hyping any one particular player.

Started early with Champ Bailey going out and just kept taking different players out on and off.

(Champ's story is such a bummer. He's getting too old to do this stuff and no SB ring. Really was incredible in his prime. I wonder if he will be dropped if he can't get healthy.)

Welker of course is covered for leaving and coming here. We finally have a couple of decent but not great running backs, an area where Denver is almost always weak.

The two Thomas', Eric Decker, and the ever-present (he's getting old too) Matt Praeter who almost never misses... And got that 63 yarder in the record books this year, all covered locally. Woodyard gets little coverage, interestingly. Stokley also. They basically gave Peyton a huge pile of targets and then tried to build plays where they'd put in a bunch of them and use most of them as blockers or decoys for whoever was really receiving the ball.

The whole hand signal thing kinda makes sense if it's true. Peyton calls a lot of changes and it wasn't common to charge up the center with a running back because you'd have to swap other guys to even get any mass out there to push with, when you have a bunch of skinny wide receivers and tight ends on the field.

What bugs me the most is that both Fox and Del Rio are defensive coaches by original experience and their defensive guys make really annoying mistakes in fundamentals like proper tackling and rarely push for turnovers.

Definitely not Joe a Collier's "Pick snd Strip" defensive strategy out there these days. It's one of the reasons I still don't think Fox is head coach material. He should be all over Del Rio's ass for that. It's stuff Fox knows.

The local press pushes Manning pretty hard but not as hard as the national press.

On Defense Rogers-Cromartie and some others are kinda green but coming along.

What I thought would have been interesting would have been if they had made Kubiak an offer to come back here as an offensive coach and Fox had jumped on Del Rio and worked on defensive fundamentals.

They got really sloppy, bottom line. But they were kinda embracing sloppy fast-paced play.

Not making a joke, but because of the idiotic hype over it, I was waiting to hear "Omaha" from Manning. I never heard it in the game. Not once. Either they weren't focusing the sound on the QB like they usually do, or they changed their signals.

Is anyone talking about that in Denver?

Not making a joke, but because of the idiotic hype over it, I was waiting to hear "Omaha" from Manning. I never heard it in the game. Not once. Either they weren't focusing the sound on the QB like they usually do, or they changed their signals.

Is anyone talking about that in Denver?

Did not see any articles about it but it seems that he stopped attempting much in the way of audibles, unless Fox handled the field microphone mix very differently than usual.

He was downright obnoxious with audibles for weeks, and then nothing at the Bowl. It was weird. It may have been planned for the noise levels though.

The Bowl looked like their performance in Indy. Just kinda mentally fell apart. In the Bowl though, they had to contend with Seattle's much better defensive squad.

Just heard one of the Seattle radio personalities say that things were very tense in the press booth during halftime. Denver will obviously make some changes in their game plan, and if the Seahawks get complacent/sloppy, Denver could easily come back from 22 points down.

He said they didn't start to relax until Seattle went up 36-0. Only then did they think it was out of Denver's reach.

Rumor has it Peyton Manning threw in the towel after the third quarter, but it was intercepted.

Rumor has it Peyton Manning threw in the towel after the third quarter, but it was intercepted.

peyton-manning-meme.jpg

I'm not that big a football fan and actually have a legitimate question.

What was Manning doing on every play, running up to the line screaming and flailing his arms around like fool? I have NEVER seen that before.

I'm not that big a football fan and actually have a legitimate question.

What was Manning doing on every play, running up to the line screaming and flailing his arms around like fool? I have NEVER seen that before.

He was calling an audible, which means he was changing the play after he was able to see how the defense was set up.

It could be a simple change in formation, or it could be a complete change in the play from the play that was called in the huddle.

Audibles are usually called verbally, in code such as numbers, colors, or words, so the defense doesn't know what is being called. It may also include hand signals, but that is just for certain players who can see them. The down linemen cannot typically see the QB, so they try to hear what is being shouted by the QB.

Except for the Super Bowl, where he failed miserably and the Seahawks claim to have broken Manning's code, Payton is one of the all time great QBs in terms of reading the defense and changing the play at the line of scrimmage.

Manning is certainly a gentleman. I was great to see him track down Sherman and also his post game interview was true class.

It is also nice to see him at Pebble Beach. I spent my senior year in HS at Pebble Beach. Monterey Union HS. Those roads in there were the best to learn to drive, in a 1963 Corvair Spyder.

Back