Sunglasses problem

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
My headset mixed with my sunglasses tends to leave a lovely bruise just above my ears from the headset pressing on the glasses. Any remedies with the same headset?

You need a better head set.

Zulu's work for me, and they have Bluetooth.;)

Last edited:
You need a better head set.
I have both ANR Sofcomm and David Clarks that give me the same problem, both foam and gel earcups. I don't doubt that Zulu's are better but unfortunately I don't have the funds to change headsets.

Separate question. I've heard that for flying sunglasses should NOT be polarized. Is this true?

Separate question. I've heard that for flying sunglasses should NOT be polarized. Is this true?

They can blank out some screens, and there is also a theory that they could block the glint of the sun off an airplane. I personally don't use polarized, but some do.

Get a decent pair of Raybans, Scheydens, American Optical, Randolph Engineering, etc with thin temples. The pain will go away.

They can blank out some screens, and there is also a theory that they could block the glint of the sun off an airplane. I personally don't use polarized, but some do.

Get a decent pair of Raybans, Scheydens, American Optical, Randolph Engineering, etc with thin temples. The pain will go away.
Thanks!

Also make sure the temples fit or can be bent to fit close to the head where your headset seals contact. That will both relieve the pressure and block noise better.

I have both ANR Sofcomm and David Clarks that give me the same problem, both foam and gel earcups. I don't doubt that Zulu's are better but unfortunately I don't have the funds to change headsets.
If you're bother by the cost, it may be a problem. I had to buy sunglasses for flying, because my usual ones were not suitable (several issues). But they were more expensive than my DC headset. It was a pseudo-brand, like "John Vargasos" or something.

Or different sunglasses with thinner temples.
Bingo -- thin wire temples. Might not be as sexy as those thick-framed sport sunglasses, but a lot more comfortable. If you can find them with graduated shading (lighter on the bottom) that helps read charts, too. Just watch out for polarization if you have glass screens in the cockpit.

Ray ban aviators + Lightspeed Zulu are a good combo.

After awhile even my thin glasses start to put pressure on my head. What I end up doing most of the time is putting the arm of the glasses at the top of the earcup. It tilts the glasses down more but it doesn't affect their usability.

I mentioned it a few times, but depending on aircraft, it may be possible to fly with earbuds. Owner of the rental that I took to FTG yesterday flies with such set in both GX and Lear 35. ANC makes it quite tolearble, he says.

P.S. forgot about the costs though

Always fly in IMC?? :dunno: I have old school Ray-Bans and DCs, never had an issue.

IMC can be worse if it's near the top of a cloud and has bad glare.

The right sunglasses are important - you need ones with thin frames. It probably will cost a bit of money, but if you have a prescription for them then you can reuse the frames. For my normal glasses I've had the same frames for 8 years, and my sunglasses I've had the frames for 2 years, plan on keeping them for a long time to come.

IMC can be worse if it's near the top of a cloud and has bad glare.

The right sunglasses are important - you need ones with thin frames. It probably will cost a bit of money, but if you have a prescription for them then you can reuse the frames. For my normal glasses I've had the same frames for 8 years, and my sunglasses I've had the frames for 2 years, plan on keeping them for a long time to come.

Yes. I know. I actually have over 5 hours IFR, :D Just a weak attempt at humor. I just glad I don't have to do the prescription thing.

I do what big red does.. I just stick the ear pieces up over the ear cups of the headset and no problem.

Mine blank out the iPad screen when it's in portrait.

After awhile even my thin glasses start to put pressure on my head. What I end up doing most of the time is putting the arm of the glasses at the top of the earcup. It tilts the glasses down more but it doesn't affect their usability.

I've worn Bose, Zulu, Telex, DC, and NONE of them work with wearing the glasses (prescription or sun) under the ear seals. Thick frame, thin frame, flexon frame, doesn't matter. They all hurt after 5 minutes, and let in unnecessary noise through the seal. Headset goes on, glasses go on over the headset and the cups act like ears for the frames.

My headset mixed with my sunglasses tends to leave a lovely bruise just above my ears from the headset pressing on the glasses. Any remedies with the same headset?
I just tilt my sunglasses so the arms are on top of the cup.

I do that if I'm wearing glasses with thick rims and it starts to bother me (usually takes a couple hours to become objectionable). You can get foam wedges that slip over the bows and spread the pressure (helps with earcup seal also).

http://www.transair.co.uk/product4.asp?SID=2&Product_ID=1133

I am considering trying the D/C Stop Gaps. Does anyone have good or bad experiences with them? Hooking my glasses over the ear cups doesn't work well for me.

I've worn Bose, Zulu, Telex, DC, and NONE of them work with wearing the glasses (prescription or sun) under the ear seals. Thick frame, thin frame, flexon frame, doesn't matter. They all hurt after 5 minutes, and let in unnecessary noise through the seal. Headset goes on, glasses go on over the headset and the cups act like ears for the frames.

I have no issue with my prescription glasses or prescription sun glasses and my Zulu.

Dont use glasses. Fly with a tinted plexiglass

Chuck Norris doesn't need sunglasses. The sun dims on his command.

Which, is what happened Sunday evening as he made an approach to KRNO. People widely believed it was just a solar eclipse.

Get a pair of Serengeti with the rose drivers gradient and you will never look back. i have gone through a ton of sunglasses and these are my favorite for both comfort and performance. The rose gradient may not look as cool as black tint but the performance blows all others away. Cuts through haze like a champ. Traffic was way easier to see and the colors are like HD.

And no, you dont really want polarized lenses in the air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

and let in unnecessary noise through the seal. Headset goes on, glasses go on over the headset and the cups act like ears for the frames.
Wow, I thought that this was just how it was when flying (glasses hurting and noisy). Didn't even realize I had options. Thanks for this.

No polarized sunglasses for pilots.
I've been wearing polarized for 15 years while flying with no problems except the iPad. However, I picked frames with incredibly small, thin earpieces just for the reason the OP mentioned.

As for polarization, it really is personal preference AND what type of avionics/instruments in the airplance. LCD displays are a disaster but I make sure when I need to replace or repair, I don't choose anything with LCD e.g. King 125 nav/coms.

Back