Sunglasses/Prescription lens

Mike Smith

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fresh Prince of PrattVegas
I need to have prescription lenses put in my Costa frames. What is the opinion of the collective on polarized vs. non-polarized? They said they can put an anti-glare treatment on them? Anyone have experience with this? I would appreciate any advice.

Most places recommend non polarized as most avionics have polarized screens so it makes them difficult to see

Ive never seen that polarized lenses helped in seeing scenery in the sun. For seeing fish under water, yes. SOME aircraft instruments may not be viewable with polarized lenses (mine are). Best deal would be to have clear lense at the bottom of the glass so when you view the instruments they arent dimmed by the sun glass shading.

Last edited:
I don't think that you get the advantage of polarization in the air that you do on the ground, on snow, or on water.
Plus, they do add the "waffle" appearance to many laminated fenestrants and do require that glass panels be properly oriented to allow the pilot to see other than a completely black screen. (if you can rotate the screen between landscape and portrait, as on tablets, fine; but if they are installed units, you are probably SOL). Probably better to use Non-Polarized glasses. (IMHO)

I got prescription Costas and really liked them. Polarization does produce problems with some avionics and I think, iPads. So, mine are not polarized.

Mine are prescription sunglasses and have used only polarized lenses for more than 20 years. I use them for sailing as well as flying, and find on the water it's essential. Maybe less so in the air as some have posted. It can cause some problems with glass panel devices but I have found it to be a much bigger problem with the instruments on the boat than in plane.

Thanks for the comments so far. I have worn contact lenses for many years but recently have had a little issue with irritation in one eye so I stopped wearing them. I wore my Costas, which are polarized, when I was flying but really didn't have much of an issue because what I fly has steam. I did see a bit of the effect when I used my ipad, but it wasn't too bad. My biggest quandary is, I'll fly maybe 50 hours a year, but I will wear my sunglasses hundreds of hours otherwise. Of course the optician is predicting doom and damnation if I don't get polarized. (for only a mere $95 more)

Opticians dont know much about flying. Insist of trying them on and go out to the car, or even better, the plane and see. If in doubt DON"T get polarized. Also look into obtaining the clear lower part of the lenses, those are the best, if you can find them.

I got a pair of Polarized once... Big mistake. Can't see my iPad, can't see a lot of things. For aviation I recommend staying away from Polarized.

I echo the comments here. I got a set of polarized glasses as a gift once, and tried flying with them - once. It was brutal. On the water / fishing, they are incredible. In the air, completely opposite.

I've used non-polarized and polarized. Other than the iPad screen disappearing at certain angles, I can't tell much difference. Amber tint does help with haze (blue scattering causes most of the low vis in haze). I've given up on actual prescription sun glasses because I had two pairs in a row which the coating began to flake off after a year. I just use decent quality clip ons.

John

I don't wear contacts, and I used clip-ons for sunglasses. Mine are polarized. On some instruments, sometimes, I've had to tilt my head to get a clear display but that's been rare and not a big deal.

I really wish I could wear contacts so I could get non-prescription sunglasses, but I've just never had good luck with my near/far blends and astigmatism.

I've used prescription sunglasses before, but then I have to carry two sets with me wherever I go, and it costs 2x for 2 pair. I might get a set of prescription sunglasses this summer and try it again, though.

I also agree with whoever mentioned above: keeping the lower part tinted lighter or even clear, is very convenient.

Thanks all, I pulled the trigger and got non-polarized lenses with a gradient tint, darker at the top to light at the bottom. And yes, my frames are brown and I got brown/amber lenses. Ill, give a pirep in a week or so.

If you have a spare pair with clear lenses, you can take them to an optician (a mom & pop, not a chain!) and have them dyed 11% grey. Polarized you can work around, if you want, except it's a pain in all glass. . .

I've been wearing prescription, polarized, brown sunglasses longer than I've been flying. Only have a problem if I turn the iPad the wrong way, but since I don't fly with it, it's not much of a problem. Can't swear to it, but it think my (old) Galaxy tablet is just fine with them. I can see my G430W just fine, along with King radios and Garmin transponder. Mike, you know what's in my panel . . . Even works fine with the StormScope.

To save money, be frugal and shop online: http://www.zennioptical.com

I bought a test pair from them, plastic frames, sunglasses, $35 delivered. Took about ten days to come in. I was worried about fuzzy or wavy optics, but they are as clear as the $400 from the eye doctor. After my checkup next month, I'll get new clear ones and two pairs of shades (one each, driving and flying; both polarized brown). I'm a happy camper.

Anyone know where to get sunglasses, non-polarized, prescription (near sighted), bifocal (far sighted) AND gradient or bifocal part non tinted?

One of my friends used to work in the R&D department at Oakley and when I had him get me prescription glasses for flying he told me not to go polarized, and I'm glad I took his advise. I have a lot of different sunglasses and a few times I've worn one of my polarized sets, and though it wasn't any huge issue there were things that didn't work right. My tach for example is digital, and not viewable without tilting my head.

Back when it was a Corning product I had prescription Serengeti Drivers (non polarized). I've had subsequently polarized sun glasses. Yes, the ones I had required me to tilt my head a bit to see my MX20 clearly. I'd probably go with non-polarized the next time around. I really like the Serengeti gradiants, but now it's not even possible as a special order these days. Nobody, but nobody does prescription GLASS glasses anymore. I hate it.

I'm glad nobody brought up the stupid "glint" read herring. That's been pretty much debunked.

Thanks Croom. They even have a couple of local distributors.

Anyone know where to get sunglasses, non-polarized, prescription (near sighted), bifocal (far sighted) AND gradient or bifocal part non tinted?

I have used these guys multiple times: http://www.replacementlensexpress.com/ for clear prescription lenses but I see on their web site that they will do custom gradient tints as well.

I have used internet suppliers for glasses for a number of years, including Chinese companies. There is just no reason to pay the big bucks that local opticians charge.

Back