Sun N Fun 2008 is just around the corner!

njpilot911

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff
April 8-13 2008 at KLAL, Lakeland, Fl.
I don't post often, and spend most my time lurking, but the annual ritual that is "Sun N Fun", starts to occupy my thoughts starting in January. 2008 will mark the 14th straight year I have flown my Mooney to the Sunny South, to attend the EAA sponsored event, and the 36th round trip to Florida since 1994.
Looking forward to discuss all things "Long Cross Country", from routes to fuel stop strategies, where to stay, camping vs hotels, other things to do in the area, weather concerns, favorite FBO's, going VFR vs. IFR, etc etc.
I base at 1N4 Woodbine, in Cape May County, Southern NJ, where we just installed a new AWOS-III on 120.475, (609) 861-0610.
Jeff
'82 M20J N1159P

I'm with you Jeff, although it doesn't feel very wintery here in Atlanta right now (I came to work in shorts.) I haven't gone for 14 years straight, more like 5 or 6, 'cause I enjoy SnF.
I plan to fly my Mooney down as well, but way too early to figure out which days.
My airport 9A1 on the east side of Atlanta may be on your flight path. Feel free to stop here for gas, lunch or whatever.

I almost made it last year, but ice storms up in Vermont caused me to cancel my plans.

Sun-n-Fun '08 or bust.

~ Christopher

Thanks for the invite Lance, that's what puts the "fun" in "Sun-n-fun"..meeting new friends along the way. One of my favorite stops is Grand Strand airport, KCRE, near Myrtle Beach, SC...Always free Hot Dogs, and gas discounts, but nobody beats the gas prices at Whitesville, NC,KCPC just a few miles north of Myrtle.
And Chris, as with Airventure, the week long schedule at least gives us more options on sliding departures to get around weather...but faced with the conditions in your neck o' the woods, I guess it just isn't that easy!
I hope our discussion persuades a few non experienced fliers to consider making Sun N Fun, that one big cross country you've always wanted to do. It really is a blast. There are are plenty of folks along the way who really enjoy helping with suggestions, and even providing invaluable assitance with emergencies and unanticipated AOG's.
My Sun N Fun plan usually includes temporarily basing at Kissimmee, KISM, and then flying or driving into Lakeland as the conditions warrant, for one, two, or three days of the show. Although I have flown into Lakeland many times, I've been favoring driving from Kissimmee, because its a shorter walk to the gate. OTOH, when you fly in, its possible to end up with a long walk to even the closest shuttle stop...but thats a whole other discussion.
But don't forget, central florida has many other activities that makes Sun N Fun the perfect vacation...including Disney, Universal, Fantasy of Flight, NASA KSC, etc...
Jeff
N1159P 1N4 Woodbine, NJ

Jeff,

Were you at KMIV today? I thought I heard your tail no. I made a quick stop for lunch and then headed back to ILG.

Back on the thread topic.....

I don't think Mary is up for Sun-n-Fun but I may make the run. If I can find a pilot to ride shotgun I may make the trip. I have plenty of time in the vacation bank. I'll follow this topic and start the search information.

Can't wait! Airlining down on the 11th or 12th for the tail end of the show and then going on a cruise for April vacation with my dad. Should be a fun vacation, both Sun 'n Fun and the cruise.

I'm one of those types that enjoys Sun 'n Fun a lot more than Oshkosh so I'm excited.

Gary,

I was at Millville on Friday, and today (Saturday), I was aimlessly wandering the skies near Woodbine in 1159P most of the day! I couldnt find anyone to go to MIV with. Sorry I missed you. We need a better signalling system. (Text to 6093747108) Sunday looks like we might be able to squeeze one more VFR day early before the wx goes down, let me know if you are flying again.
Back to thread: Hope you can find a shotgun. When it gets closer, I can detail alot of what Ive learned over the years for fuel stops, best value hotels, side trips, FBO recommendations, etc...

HPNPilot1200, I agree! Although I go to Airventure every year, its the April ritual to Sun N Fun that I really look forward to...By April we pretty much have had it with the winter weather, and sunny skies and palm trees are the perfect way to break into Spring!

Sun N Fun is the same week as our kids spring break and the Bausch & Lomb tennis tournament in Amelia. My wife is also talking about visiting her parents in Sarasota at that time.

I'm hoping I can tie the whole lot together with some flying. I'll have to see as we get closer. Could be driving in from Sarasota or taking a short hop in the plane to leave the car behind for everyone else.

Is S&F a good place to look for planes for sale?
Not really. There will be some with for sale signs, but if you find the owner anywhere nearby, it'll be a miracle.

I was underwhelmed last year, and I've gone to SNF every year since about 1992. This year, I'm sure I'll give it another chance.

Might have to plan for another trip to Oshkosh just for a change. My only other time there was 1995.

I'd like to expand on John's answer. SnF may not be a pre-owned airplane shopping mart, but neither is OshKosh, or any airshow for that matter. However, if you ever wanted to get up close and personal with virtually any aircraft that was ever manufactured or home-built, then where else can you go? If you are interested in NEW airplanes, every aircraft manufacturer has floor space, with all the models with open doors and sales people close by. If you do see an airplane you like with a "for sale" sign, whats wrong with calling the number on the sign, or leaving a note with your cell number?
Jeff

Is S&F a good place to look for planes for sale?
It is a good place to look for used avionics. All the radios out of my plane were stolen there. My benefit though. I was not the owner of the plane yet. The owner flew to Sarasota and got insurance to put in a whole new King stack and I bought the plane.

It is a good place to look for used avionics. All the radios out of my plane were stolen there. My benefit though. I was not the owner of the plane yet. The owner flew to Sarasota and got insurance to put in a whole new King stack and I bought the plane.
I remember. In fact, I was surprised that you hadn't responded on the Theft from a Plane thread yet!

But don't forget, central florida has many other activities that makes Sun N Fun the perfect vacation...including Disney, Universal, Fantasy of Flight, NASA KSC, etc...Jeff N1159P 1N4 Woodbine, NJ

Well Jeff, after your discussions sunday and me having to hear Mary's arkansas twang another time we offered up our cabin at Gastons. We now have reservations at the Radison Resort Orlando Celebration from 4/7-4/12 with plans to invade MGM, Universal and Sun-n-Fun.

It should be a blast !!

I'd like to expand on John's answer. SnF may not be a pre-owned airplane shopping mart, but neither is OshKosh, or any airshow for that matter. However, if you ever wanted to get up close and personal with virtually any aircraft that was ever manufactured or home-built, then where else can you go? If you are interested in NEW airplanes, every aircraft manufacturer has floor space, with all the models with open doors and sales people close by. If you do see an airplane you like with a "for sale" sign, whats wrong with calling the number on the sign, or leaving a note with your cell number?
Jeff
Since a lot of the airframes have not changed much over the years, you can get an idea of what a used airplane will be like by looking at a new one. Plus, don't forget the bulletin boards. They are packed with aircraft for sale.

Gary:

Thats great news! You won't be disappointed. I wanted to share with you another strategy for the trip down or back. In years past, Tracy and I have split the trip over two days, leaving in the afternoon, and staying in North Myrtle Beach, at KCRE, enjoying the local attractions. Plenty of 3&4 star hotels near the airport, along with outlet malls, shopping centers, entertainment venues, and every imaginable restaraunt. We then get a good nights rest, up the next morning, enjoy a southern breakfast, and arrive in the Orlando/Kissimmee area by noon. Sometimes this strategy helps when looking at the big weather picture. The folks at Grand Strand, KCRE, always have free hotdogs during sun n fun week, gas discounts, and you can usually count on a bunch of other pilot/crews making the same trip to share war stories of the journey with. I typically run into the same set of characters each year, and its alot of fun!

At this point it looks like our planning has us arriving in Kissimmee on Thursday April 10, and departing Monday April 14. We usually go into Lakeland for the show on either Friday, (AOPA DAY), or Sunday, or both if there is something I want to back and spend more time looking.

If the weather cooperates, a "sliding window" strategy allows us to consider an earlier in the week departure for Florida, and the Monday hard date return, gives is the best shot at spending at least two days at the show.

As many will testify, if you fly GA to Sun N Fun, count on spending a couple seconds of every minute staying tuned into the weather patterns, short and long range forecasts, as this will largely determine your schedule of activities.

As our discussions continue, we will touch on best fuel stops, and flight planning strategies..

Jeff

First pic shows Sun N Fun, 2004..waiting for weather to clear at KACY Atlantic City, on the way to SnF.
Second pic, Sun N Fun, 2003, Tracy enjoying free hots dogs at Ramp 66 KCRE

Attachments

• IMGP1093.JPG
    IMGP1093.JPG
    1,020.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3433.JPG
    IMG_3433.JPG
    465.5 KB · Views: 37
I have us arriving on the 7th, this gives me the two day (sat & sun) window on the trip down and departing saturday the 12th leaving us one extra day for the return. If wx holds us up I'll get home when I get home.

We will make our stop at CRE also. We talked about spending a night there but Mary said she would rather not have to haul any baggage more then once out and once in....:)

haul any baggage more then once out and once in.... = pack/unpack

Last edited:
I expect to be at SimCom Orlando the weekend before SnF and will likely hang around for the first or second day of the show.

-lance

Can't wait! Airlining down on the 11th or 12th for the tail end of the show and then going on a cruise for April vacation with my dad. Should be a fun vacation, both Sun 'n Fun and the cruise.

I'm one of those types that enjoys Sun 'n Fun a lot more than Oshkosh so I'm excited.

Just confirmed everything with my dad...airlining down late on April 12th and will spend the night in Orlando before driving to Lakeland for the last full day of the show, April 13th. Anyone else going to be around the last day?

Anyone fly directly there? I have never been, but didn't know if I shoud fly or drive. Seriously, would it be too crowded and nowhere to park my plane.

I thought, fly in early, look around all day and fly back home that night. It is only about an hour to an hour and 1/2 flight for me.

Anyone fly directly there? I have never been, but didn't know if I shoud fly or drive. Seriously, would it be too crowded and nowhere to park my plane.

There are pros and cons to flying into KLAL vs. driving in for Sun N Fun. Over the years I have done it both ways, more recently driving in, while basing my Mooney at nearby Kissimmee. My biggest complaint about flying in, is the inconvenience of the parking location. Unless you arrive very early, you will get directed to a grass tie down (A Mooney No-No) on the wrong side of the "show line", which means that you will be restricted from accessing your aircraft during the daily airshow. May or may not be a problem if you want the convenience of offloading packages of goodies during the day. Also, the walk from the GA tiedown area is murderous compared to the close proximity of the auto parking lots..its a long walk, although crowded and infrequent "tractor shuttles" are provided.
Flying in also means that you are "trapped" at the show until after the airshow concludes, although the "congo line" for GA departures flows smoothly and actually has a "wow" factor because of the large number of spectators watching and snapping pictures, as you command your bugsmasher into position and hold waiting for that carrier style flag waive take off clearance...

In contrast, the car parking lots are surprisingly convenient to the entrance, and parking shuttles are rarely used.

I don't ever recall being turned away because of parking overload (auto or plane)...

In terms of air traffic, the arrival procedure into KLAL is very straightforward and orderly, and given the large number of aircraft arriving at the same time, it works really well, providing you follow these simple rules:
1. Monitor the arrival frequency, but don't be tempted to transmit.
2. Stay in line behind the guy in front of you.
3. Keep off the radio
4. Don't be tempted to land short...listen for your aircraft to be described and then instucted to touch down on the appropriate spot...you are landing on a taxiway with a gigantic displaced threshold, but its very long, and in better condition than many GA airports. This thing only works well when everybody keeps their speed up and "flies it down the runway".

Download and study the arrival procedures available at www.sun-n-fun.org You will stick out like a sore thumb if you arrive in total ignorance of the rules...just remember, the guy you cut off because you didnt know the procedure will no doubt be parking very near when you both land, and could lead to some very uncomfortable face to face time.

After tie down, the lines to get your admission ticket are generally shorter at the GA pilot and crew airside entry points.

You will need to bring tie down anchors, or you will have to rent them from the ground crew that meets you on shutdown. Tie Down is mandatory.

To be candid, the thrill of flying directly into Lakeland has lost its appeal over the years for me, and since I enjoy the long cross country from New Jersey to Kissimmee for the flying fix...driving by car on the 1 or 2 days I attend eliminates any possible aggravation or anxiety.

If you are a camp under the wing kinda guy...thats another discussion.

Jeff
Mooney N1159P
1N4 Woodbine, NJ

I'm going to be down in the area late in the Sun 'n Fun week; beginning of the week on Amelia Island and later in Sarasota. We're also thinking of getting back in Atlanta on Friday so one of the kids and I can run a 5K at Lovett. That will cut down on my time to get to Sun 'n Fun.

I may try to squeeze in some time for Sun 'n Fun on Thursday or Friday, but right now I don't know if I can make it; we'll be visiting my wife's parents in Sarasota.

With all the Sun 'n Fun traffic I may fly IFR from 55J to SRQ even if it's CAVU. Extra eyes and at 1,000's instead of 500's.

Just don't bring your Maserati...

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060407/NEWS/604070342/1039

Expecting a large contigent of active military aircraft on static display along with the AF T-bird F-16s at SnF this year (2008). Don't be surprised if some taxi routes are closed or limited to periodic access during the week.

I'll be flying the arrival NOTAM either Monday (4/7) the day before opening or that Tuesday (4/8).

There are pros and cons to flying into KLAL vs. driving in for Sun N Fun. Over the years I have done it both ways, more recently driving in, while basing my Mooney at nearby Kissimmee.

My one SNF experience (flew in) was different from yours in many ways. First I found the ground controllers to be unexpectedly incompetent. I filed for an early morning IFR arrival from Venice FL due to low scud all over the route. When I got close to LAL ATC said I had to cancel and follow the VFR arrival since the field was reporting VMC even though I had a reservation so I did. Unfortunately LAL's idea of VMC was based on the fact that there happened to be a 1/4 mile diameter hole in the clouds directly above the tower with a 400 AGL 500-1000 ft thick layer sitting right over the runway itself and extending across most of of the VFR arrival route. Of course the controller on the east side of the lake was also sitting under a slightly larger hole and apparently no one considered the possibility that those two holes might not be representative of the weather in between them. Flying over the lake and turning to follow the freeway I was instructed to descend to an altitude that left me facing a wall of cloud extending to within 300 AGL with tall antennas sticking through the layer. After a small argument I proceeded on top of the layer with occasional glimpses of the freeway I was following (having the roads displayed on my GPS helped immensely). Just north of the airport I turned directly towards the field and was instructed to enter a left downwind for runway 9. Since I couldn't see the runway because of the cloud layer I complied using the GPS and informed the tower of the problem. They still insisted the field was VMC and said I'd be able to see the runway in time to turn final but they were wrong about that as well as the western half was still under the clouds. I then flew a downwind for 27 and was able to complete an approach and landing to that end although there was no way to maintain legal separation from the clouds while doing so.

Because the ground was wet they had me park on the pavement south of 9/27 so I actually had access to the plane during the entire day although it was a bit of a hike to get there. The first EPIC turbine single was parked next to my plane and I got a nice tour of that after securing my plane as best as I could (I didn't want to pound my FlyTies into the asphalt so i just chocked the wheels).

I've had similarly poor ATC service flying into OSH in "marginal" (supposedly VMC) weather as well so I guess this might not be purely a SNF issue although I was allowed to fly an actual approach there when the wx was bad enough that they couldn't stretch the definition of VMC far enough to cover it.

Just about 3 weeks and counting!

Just got my sectionals and AFD. I have everything tabbed and flight plan plotted. Reservations for the dog are complete, cats will be with Mom-in-Law and have the mail and paper taken care of.

I just need to get the oil changed on 679er. The list of "to-do" is slowly shrinking. I'm sure the Bride will want to "shop" prior to the trip for some outfit or shoes.:rolleyes:

Anyone staying in Kissimmee ?

Lance, Have you planned your days for Sun n Fun yet?
Not in stone yet, but every year in the past we've gone down Friday morning and returned Sunday.

I was thinking about going down and back on Saturday. Anybody in SE TN or N GA want to go?

I was thinking about going down and back on Saturday. Anybody in SE TN or N GA want to go?
Lotta flying for one day and it won't give you much time to see all there is to see. Camp under the wing if you've got to:yes: Hope to see you down there.

Looks like I'll be there on Friday. I'll be driving up from Sarasota.

Lotta flying for one day and it won't give you much time to see all there is to see. Camp under the wing if you've got to:yes: Hope to see you down there.

I could be convinced to fly down Saturday, camp that night and return on Sun. I haven't pitched a tent since my hiking days in college. I'll need to go through my gear this weekend. Is camping allowed for EAA members only? Anybody interested in joining me?

I only wish I had my IR now! The wx is looking like crap for my flight tomorrow down the coast, Ugggh I may have to breakdown and fly commercial. I am not a happy camper.:no:

:( EDIT 10:15am - two round trips purchased (US Air) and updated/relocated ground transportation. Off to eat breakfast and sulk.

Attachments

• 4.7.jpg
    4.7.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Gary, look at the bright side...if you fly commercial, you'll probably save money! If you maybe wait a day or two, Wednesday or Thursday looks like VFR may be doable. The wife and I are planning a Wednesday afternoon departure in 1159P, with an overnight in Myrtle Beach, probably take in "Dixie Stampede" dinner show, then we will complete the journey to KISM on Thursday morning. If we cant get out on Wednesday, we will probably buy last minute seats on Spiritair out of Atlantic City. It's Sun N Fun or BUST from here on out...
Jeff
Mooney N1159P
1N4 Woodbine, NJ
www.n1159p.com

Look on the bright side, Gary... Now you'll have the money to fly your bird to OSH instead. :yes:

Thanks Jeff and Kent

Our room reservation is mon-sat so we didn't want to wait any later in the week, besides $870 round trip in the spam can for the both of us vs I figure 16 hours hobbs on the Archer and we pay in 87/hr wet ($1400). You just can't put a price tag on the experience or the fun factor flying to the event. Oh well......

OSH, hmmmmm.....or maybe I'll need to get a room for Gaston's :goofy:

Gary, you guys will still have fun in Central Florida, with the Sun N Fun experience thrown in, it won't be a waste of time. I think there are several lessons here, especially if you are counting on VFR to Florida. To start with, I avoid making long range hotel reservations, I literally wait till the last minute for this, avoiding the cancellation penalties that are so much a big part of the hotel experience anymore. For Sun N Fun, basically a week long event, I keep my launch and return windows very flexible, sliding the 2,3 or 4 day trip, anywhere between the beginning and end of the Sun N Fun week. Its just very rare for the entire week to be a complete wash out. I also always consider staging my trip in sections. Half way to Myrtle Beach first day, second leg the next day, if it helps me to avoid wx. Same thing on the return. And of course, keep the instrument rating wet, it really comes in handy for the occasional enroute wx.
All this lecturing, and Im not even sure Mooney 1159P will be ready..It's still in Annual, and my guy has promised it would be ready by Monday...
Oh well, I still have the Spiritair option, but those fares have jumped...I'm estimating $560 (avgas only) round trip in the Mooney, and Spirit will cost me just over $700 if I book now.
Gary, by the way, if you are renting a car at MCO, Dollar and Hertz both have counter and cars right at the terminal, if you go with the other company's, it will involve an inconvenient shuttle to the rental car lot, a real time eater and general hassle.
Also, slight change in plans, Tracy and I are staying with an old friend, who lives about 5 miles from the Radisson, so we should still try to hook up.

Jeff
Mooney N1159P
1N4 Woodbine, NJ

Back