Summer Trip

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Finally got some of the clips from this summer on my laptop. I've asked Chip to provide a link. The first is just over 4MB. Home video stuff folks; so, don't be too hard on me.

Where are we departing from (once the link is up)?

Best,

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Where are we departing from (once the link is up)?
Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! An airport!!! :goofy:
I never was one to read the "FULL" instructions!

Dave Siciliano said:
Well, still haven't had anyone guess where we departed from!!

Dave

Dave, I am guessing that was CZM, because (1) massive tropical cumulo; and (2) nothing around but scrub.

If (perchance) I guessed right, when do I get to visit the right... seat?

SCCutler said:
Dave, I am guessing that was CZM, because (1) massive tropical cumulo; and (2) nothing around but scrub.

If (perchance) I guessed right, when do I get to visit the right... seat?

You may do better on another clip. Not there yet!!

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Well, still haven't had anyone guess where we departed from!!
Dave, I think it was either Arkansas or Wisconsin or Texas.

My goodness, how long is that take-off roll? Does that nice new airplane use much runway? Can I have a ride? :D

BTW, I have a few things for you; could you PM or email me your address? Thanks. :)

Well, from the clues I saw:

front seat pax appeared to have food in her lap, couldn't tell ethnicity of food.

not very well maintained airstrip with non-precision app markings.

no REIL or other rwy lighting.

no threshold markings.

no aprt facilities.

terrain was flat, could be anywhere.

looked like a body of water yonder, could be a seashore or could be a lake.

moving map displayed large scale land and water features. Other MFD features too blurred.

Clouds looked to be typical of warm frontal convergence.

The Yucatan Peninsula, northeast portion? If not there, at least it was outside U.S.

Delete previous, add:

Flat, as in FLA.

Unimproved land surrounding aprt.

Kids have goofy stuffed toys and souvenir knick knacks and sitting in club seating are eating American junk food indicative of recent visit to tourist destination.

Jet center off to right.

Non-precision Class E or maybe small Class D aprt.

Couldn't tell fld elev from instruments.

Bodies of water depicted on MFD are lakes.

Clouds vvof are recent warm front passage.

--Break in video--

Clouds enroute are semi-tropical convergence.

Central FLA departure?

Diana said:
My goodness, how long is that take-off roll? Does that nice new airplane use much runway?
I noticed that too.

Diana said:
BTW, I have a few things for you; could you PM or email me your address? Thanks. :)
Are you bribing Dave for a ride?

From my clues:

GPS showed what appeared to be a few bays. The grass seemed very Florida ish. The jet was Continental Airlines. I will say that was SRQ - Sarasota Bradenton Airport.

I'm not sure the GPS picture is related to the takeoff airport location and I don't recognize the area depicted, but the airport could be Portage WI.

My first impression was FL by the clouds, but then I had a database crash and a bunch of irate users so that was as far as I got to watch the video...

Don Jones said:
Wild guess, SFB Sanford Fla. (If it is correct I cheated)
Don

Way to go Don!! You're right on. When I get back to Dallas, I'll see if Chip will post the next leg.

Dave

ok, I want to know how Don cheated. Freeze frame and zoom in on the GPS?

gkainz said:
ok, I want to know how Don cheated. Freeze frame and zoom in on the GPS?

Nope, thats not it. Got it from the horses mouth, lol
Don

Dave Siciliano said:
Got the upcoming trip planning done: Here's the route.

Addison (ADS), Texas direct C47 (Portage Wisconsin) 723 NM
spend the night and pick up nieces!!

C47 to CSV (Crossville, TN then SFB (Sanford) Florida 971 NM
Lunch and fuel at Crossville; couple days with family in Florida

SFB to MMCZ (Cozumel, Mexico). Actually we'll route to Key west then north of Cuba over the Gulf to Mexico. 645NM
A week in cozumel.

MMCZ (Cozumel) to New Orleans Lake Front (KNEW). 600NM mostly over water.
Couple days in the French Quarter.

KNEW to Dallas Addison. 390 NM
Will stay at the house a day or two.

Short day trip to south Texas and back to visit family 600 NM

KADS to C-47 723 NM to bring nieces home.
C-47 KADS to return home.

Preliminarily appears to be about 5,400 NM.

Got the customs sticker for the plane.
Also the radio station license and plane registration.
Normally do IFR flight plans; so, nothing exceptional here for leaving the country.
Girls have birth certificates with picture IDs or passport; note from parents allowing trip and medical treatment if they can't be reached.
IFR enroute charts for trip route: DOD and Jepp for Mexico.
Insurance policy specifically stating coverage in Mexico.
Got the raft and survival gear in the plane. Back up GPS and hand held radio
New Orleans, Lake Front is a designated customs entry point; so, we'll fly directly there.

All this stuff in addition to having the aircraft ready to go and all the reservations for hotels, rental cars, etc. has been pretty daunting. We did it last year to the Bahamas; so, it's not new.

Anyway, it looks like quite a trip. We'll try to keep y'all posted when we can. Our hotel in Cozumel doesn't have internet connections; so, we may be incommunicado for awhile!!

Leaving on the 7th for Portage.

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

Dave Siciliano said:
Way to go Don!! You're right on. When I get back to Dallas, I'll see if Chip will post the next leg.

Dave
Dave, he CHEATED! I thought of going back to those old posts too but decided that wouldn't be very sporting. Besides, he called you a horse--at least your mouth.

Geesh!! Take it easy folks. The P-Baron can hold more than one person and can fly more than one sortie!!

Sorry, I've been off line. I always look forward to my annual trip to Lost Wages; then, I'm glad to be heading back home again!!

Hotel said they had free high speed internet! When I got there, I found it was 10 per day, but internet support was free---What a deal!
Oh yes, they have a health club available to guest; $10 per day when you get there. Do I need to go on? Can't make coffee or tea in the room. Have to go down to the restaurant where the minimium size is 1/2 gallon (well, I'm exaduratin, but it's big) and $2.00. The want tip for average or poor service.

Oh well. Maybe in another year I'll for get the bad parts.

When I get back, I'll send the next clip from the next leg of the trip.

Dave

Dave;

I live in dial up world out on the farm so I can't get video. The best thing is that I have a great memory and your trip this summer was the best and I am so lucky to read about your flight in that 58P. I could tell so well you just love sharing your experiences flying from TX to WI to FL To MEX to TX to WI and Back to TX. Over 5k miles of fun including dodging Hurricane Dennis. Plus telling us about flying LOP.

I still get excited even just going around the pattern after all these years.

Best to you

John

Nice to hear from you John; sorry you can't get the vid. It is pretty large.

Still refining the LOP operations on the P-Baron. It is pretty much cruising between 13.5 and 14 gph. Gives me great range, but still not what the A-36 had.

Flew to San Diego Wednesday, picked up Dad and took him to Las Vegas and back. He really likes the plane also, but when he asked how much the gas cost-I wouldn't answer. Told him he didn't want to know.

Began playing with the Sandel in the autoslew mode this trip. If I put a flight plan in the Garmin, the Sandel just flies it; turns at each way point. With this and the altitude intercept, these complex routes and altitude changes get pretty easy to keep up with.

Flying from VGT to SEE today, departure took us over LAS on the way south. There must have been 15 planes on the TIS below us as we flew over. Most I've ever seen.

Thanks for your comments, John.

Dave;

Sorry I am so late but spent two days studying and watch sea gulls dive for human food in Rehobath Beach, DE. They are amazing flyers. Watch one get a piece of Bologna out of a Sub that someone was carrying to the beach. Wow.

I am very glad you did not tell dad about the fuel prices. Learning the Sandel Auto slew has to be fun and gohs it makes it so much easier flying IFR. The TIS must be really nice to have on board. Got to see some years ago a nice Ryan TCAD work and used it to fly around lots of traffic. I was in a Sky Master P337 at the time.

I am courious in your oil burn . I flew the Debonair and planes before it at LOP I was getting 20 to 22 hours before the oil level was down 1 quart. I did change oil and filter at 25 hours which at the time represented an oil chance every 3-6 weeks of time( I flew a lot). Plugs lasted so much longer as well.

I really enjoy reading your experiences with the 58P.

John

Where do I get your nieces phone number(s)? :)

Yes! Don't know how that happened. When I try to delete one, they both get deleted. If I post one, both come up. Maybe one of the administrators can delete one for me.

Best,

Dave

Dave, is that runway as rough as it appeared to be from your video?

R U insinuatin it's pilot technique!!

It was a little rough. Nice an wide, but not as smooth as Addison.

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
R U insinuatin it's pilot technique!!

It was a little rough. Nice an wide, but not as smooth as Addison.

Dave
Actually, I thought it was a very nice landing. Nice power control.

I don't know much about twins. Have very little experiance with them.. But.

It looked to me like there was basically no flare and the nose and the mains touched down at almost the same time.

The Dutchess I flew I cut the power over the threshold like anything else I've ever flown and then flared and held the nose off.

Not saying that was a bad landing, like I said I have *very* little experiance with twins.

Back