Sully-ski....Russian pilot lands plane after engine bird ingestion

Nice landing Captain. Very few of us know what we would do if losing power on takeoff.

Wondering though, witnesses say birds hit one engine and then the other was shut down. Was this a double bird strike or a shutdown of the wrong engine?

Excellent outcome, to be sure. I give the landing 8.8 Sullies.

Nice landing Captain. Very few of us know what we would do if losing power on takeoff.

Wondering though, witnesses say birds hit one engine and then the other was shut down. Was this a double bird strike or a shutdown of the wrong engine?
Yeah, well, ya can't have everything. The pilot reacted correctly to having no power, even if he caused it. It will be interesting to see how forthcoming the Russians are.

Dang I’ve always assumed any large jet going down off airport would be catastrophic nice landing. I wonder how the landing went with the gears up into the corn, wonder if it was a massive deceleration or kind of skidded ontop.

Wow pretty incredible. Assuming by how far it slid it was probably not to bad on the deceleration.
929C3995-E63C-4C11-AD49-C224A6FB5CC9.jpeg

Sully ski...lol well done Captain well done...

Thankfully, due to the severely repressed and stunted overall conditions in the former Soviet Union, even the trees are tiny and supple in case of emergency landings. ;)

There have been a surprising number of transport jets that have lost all engines. It is even more surprising when you see how well it usually turns out.

Dang I’ve always assumed any large jet going down off airport would be catastrophic nice landing. I wonder how the landing went with the gears up into the corn, wonder if it was a massive deceleration or kind of skidded ontop.

I dunno man - looking at the picture you posted those guys came to a stop in just a couple of plane lengths. Pretty stout deceleration to me!

Rosaviatsia reported right after becoming airborne the aircraft collided with a flock of sea gulls, their entry into the engines caused significant interruptions in their work

A-Flock-Of-Seagulls-700x393.jpg

I always knew those guys were evil.

Last edited:
Cropdusters that I've spoken with say the deceleration in standing corn is unbelievable. but soft. This info pertains to an AgCat (or similar). but, from the photo, I'd say it works for a 'Bus at TOW.

That makes sense, though no stalk of corn is big by itself there are so many that a plane would be striking, and the larger the plane the more stalks it would be impacting, so in terms of killing speed I suppose its "death by a thousand tiny cuts" I suppose.

I dunno man - looking at the picture you posted those guys came to a stop in just a couple of plane lengths. Pretty stout deceleration to me!
Consider that you could easily survive [without injury] stopping from 120 knots to zero in a few meters, it ain't bad.

The Daily Mail article mentioned that there may be illegal dumps near these airports in Russia and that may have contributed to the birds being there. I also wonder about shutdown of the wrong engine. In any case, good there were no serious injuries.

That's some pretty epic piloting skills right there, impressive for sure..

Quick to open a criminal case, though! "Violation of traffic safety rules and the operation of air transport"

https://www.interfax.ru/moscow/672780

A criminal case was instituted on the emergency landing of an Airbus A321 in the Ramensky district of the Moscow Region. This was reported by the representative of the metropolitan administration for transport of the Investigative Committee of Russia (TFR) Elena Markovskaya.

She noted that the case was instituted under part 1 of Article 263 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation (violation of traffic safety rules and the operation of air transport).

Back