Suggestion on VHF receiver for the hanger

Baron62

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Baron62
Does anybody have a suggestion on an inexpensive VHF receiver for the hangar? Ideally one that also received AM, FM and VHF that I could plug into the wall. Would be nice to listen to airport trafic while I was working on the airplane. Thanks

I can't find it online, but Radio Shack used to carry an el cheapo battery/plug in radio that does all that. I still have mine.

Sporty's Airscan V, plays FM then interupts for any vhf traffic on the selected frequencies.

I picked mine up on Ebay for $50

A google search should yield a pdf of the owners manual.

Last edited:
I'd just do them separately. Tunes are meant to be played on quality speakers. Air band stuff can be handled with any old $5 garage sale scanner. And if the tunes are Pauling they'd better be played loud enough you wouldn't hear a scanner over them. ;)

I was going to suggest Radio Shack, but they are history. And my RS scanner isn't for sale. :D

Old cheap non digital scanner would work well for the air traffic. Some models from uniden had am/fm radios in them.

Old cheap non digital scanner would work well for the air traffic. Some models from uniden had am/fm radios in them.

Technically they all had AM/FM radios in them. ;) Hard to copy aviation band traffic without AM...

AM and FM on the broadcast portion of the spectrum... that's something different. :) :) :)

I use my handheld for traffic and play Pandora on my phone via an inexpensive Bluetooth speaker.

Cheers

Back