Sufficiently offending the seller of an aircraft?

rtk11

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
rtk
How do you know you've sufficiently offended the seller of an aircraft?

I mean, I've read articles on the internet that says that you should offend them, and if you haven't offended them, then you've offered too much. Since it's on the internet and it's published, it must be true, right?

Then there's the rationale that sellers overprice their aircraft expecting to have to haggle, or luck into someone willing to throw full price cash at them.

In terms of haggling, I love to haggle like the next guy. Scratch that... I love to haggle more than most. It's the Asian in me. And it's all sorts of fun so long as you've got the time. (And yes, I'm ethnically Asian.)

But if you don't have the time, or if a seller needs coercing via justification on why you've insulted them, then that means homework has to be done. Getting value references, convincing third parties (especially those semi-official, semi-impartial third parties) into agreeing with my "bottom-up" valuation strategy for pricing... well, that kind-of takes the fun out of it. Because, y'know, I had to do the extra leg work.

Basically, I like the knee-jerk, shock-and-awe approach to offending an aircraft seller with an offer for their aircraft. If they're not stammering, I've not done my due diligence.

Besides, I'm doing them a favor by taking their problem aircraft and making it MY problem aircraft, right?

:p

OK, so for all those that were not amused by the above, understand that it was all tongue in cheek. Well, maybe not all. And only kind-of sort-of.

o_O

It was cathartic to rant.

In all seriousness, it's really amazing to me to see the pricing on aircraft I'm interested in. I compare values for retail and wholesale, and I see at least +25% markup from the retail value. It's almost comical to see a 7 year old aircraft list for a price that's within $25K for a nearly new aircraft with much more modern avionics.

I'm pretty sure the market isn't that strong for LSA aircraft... especially with the advent of PBOR2.

Having said that, I did research into one aircraft that's nowhere near a cream-puff. It will require work, but I don't mind paying for some of the deferred maintenance and cosmetic issues, because I will know which A&P did the work, and if it was to my satisfaction. There's some value in that. I've discounted the offer price based upon the condition, hours on the airframe, damage history, and work that I would need to do immediately to the aircraft.

And in doing so, I think I royally insulted the seller to the point of a non-response. Probably doesn't help that my offer was 56% lower than their asking price.

Just wondering how many of you folks have done your fair share of insulting the seller until you found a willing player to sell you their airplane at a realistic price?

How do you know you've sufficiently offended the seller of an aircraft?

Just wondering how many of you folks have done your fair share of insulting the seller until you found a willing player to sell you their airplane at a realistic price?

You're making a much bigger deal out of this than it is.

You made an offer he chose not to except it.

You weren't making friends, he wasn't making friends, that was not the reason you ever met him.

He likely doesn't think twice about you from here on out.

You have no reason to worry about his opinion of you, as you need to look for the next airplane to consider.

MoveOn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You weren't making friends, he wasn't making friends, that was not the reason you ever met him.

YES! One of those talking heads on the internet posted an article saying exactly the same thing! :p

I wanted to have a little fun posting tonight. And fair point - Moving On!

Have done many a deal,and never insulted the seller. You make a legitimate offer ,and then move on.

Don't be worried about insulting sellers by lowballing them. But also don't be offended if they hang up the phone on you/don't respond.

I'm selling my C150M in a few months. 300 hour 4 year old engine. IFR GPS, 2 comms, GS/loc 8/10 in/out. Clean plane. I'm going to ask around 25k. If someone offers me 11500 (56% under asking), they will not get a response. If it's over the phone. I will laugh before hanging up. The only way I will get offended/upset is if you act like you are serious, want to see scanned logs/million pictures, and then give a ridiculous offer. That's not buying a plane, that's wasting time.

What? Where does emotion play any part in such a transaction?
He has an advertised price.
You make an offer.
He accepts or not.
Maybe a little back and forth.
You shake hands and move forward.

What? Where does emotions play any part in such a transaction?
He has an advertised price.
You make an offer.
He accepts or not.
Maybe a little back and forth.
You shake hands and move forward.

It's when the "buyer" makes the seller jump through a million hoops without ever having an intention on buying unless the seller gives it for free.
It's fine, if the process starts with "assuming I like what I see, this is what I will offer". But I'm guessing that's never the case.

Sellers probably get tired of the "buyers" that are dreamers. In any sales process the first thing the seller needs to do is qualify the buyer. That's what should determine the amount of time and effort you put in to a prospect if you really want to move your plane at a fair price. Weed out the landing gear kickers early.

Conversely, if you are seriously shopping, when it comes to airplanes I've found one needs to do something similar with "sellers". There seems an abnormal number of them that don't really want to sell their airplane, and that usually becomes apparent when they become completely unhelpful as you try to do basic DD on a prospect. My guess in the cases where the thing is only being flown 10 hrs a year, the wife is pushing him to sell. I learned the hard way not to waste time on these.

I don't get the buyer criticism of a ship being sold.
Buyer appears to think they will get a better price by pointing out deficiencies.
Even if they are valid deficiencies, the seller knows about them and it won't help your case.
It is insulting to criticize someone's airplane, so knock it off!
If it has deficiencies - individual or in sum - which the buyer cannot tolerate - then walk away.
If not, then take what you know of the market and how the current bird fits into the continuum of 'scrap' to 'mint' and make your respectful & unemotional offer - and await a response.

Sellers probably get tired of the "buyers" that are dreamers. In any sales process the first thing the seller needs to do is qualify the buyer. That's what should determine the amount of time and effort you put in to a prospect if you really want to move your plane at a fair price. Weed out the landing gear kickers early. .

I am in the market for a house, and in the higher end houses the sellers request a letter of qualification before I can even see the house. I don't blame them.

A lot of Realtors won't waste time showing homes unless buyers are preapproved.

In 60 seconds I can write a "pre-qualification letter" from the Cuervo Mortgage Company and Distillery that will be accepted by all realtors. And you can too.

50% plus below asking is a guarantee you won't be sold to. Even if his pricing is that far off, you never need to be "that guy" because you know it won't work. If it does, the next guy will be who he sells to, not you.

50% plus below asking is a guarantee you won't be sold to. Even if his pricing is that far off, you never need to be "that guy" because you know it won't work. If it does, the next guy will be who he sells to, not you.

I was that guy. The only reason was I figured it might make him realize he was being unreasonable for the next guy. Worn interior, dated avionics, some corrosion, old paint, 500 left on the engine, creased wing from a hard landing, control surfaces needed to be reskinned... I said "listen, I know you won't take it, but I can only do 55% of asking. Let me know." He wasn't happy with me. He also refused to send logs. And was kind of a jerk about the prebuy. Probably why that was 6 months ago and the plane was still on the market last time I checked.

Almost everybody thinks their stuff is worth more just because they think it is. If you offer a decent price and they get butt hurt about it, then they can go cry to mommy. It is a world of two places, the reality and their dreams.

Hey, no tire kickers. :)

Most of the planes I have seen on the Barnstormers and Trade-a-plane are overpriced significantly and they sit on there for months. In many cases I think the guy just says, "honey, I am trying to sell the plane just like you told me but nobody is interested and you don't want me to give it away." Planes that are priced right seem to sell pretty fast.

There are a few that seemed to be priced right and don't sell and that makes you wonder what the hec is wrong with the plane that the seller isn't saying.

ETA: I have had a few car dealers say, "you aren't serious" when I negotiated a good price then asked them to throw in a few things. It is about that point you know you are close.

looks like we found one of those "I k ow what my plane is worth" fellas here.

Don't be worried about insulting sellers by lowballing them. But also don't be offended if they hang up the phone on you/don't respond.

I'm selling my C150M in a few months. 300 hour 4 year old engine. IFR GPS, 2 comms, GS/loc 8/10 in/out. Clean plane. I'm going to ask around 25k. If someone offers me 11500 (56% under asking), they will not get a response. If it's over the phone. I will laugh before hanging up. The only way I will get offended/upset is if you act like you are serious, want to see scanned logs/million pictures, and then give a ridiculous offer. That's not buying a plane, that's wasting time.

So the lesson is get @SixPapaCharlie to go in first, low ball, and then I follow up?

I wont even bother communicating with the seller if the plane is not within 20% of Vref or NAAA. I realize those tools are not the most accurate but they are the only ones readily available to most buyers. Unlike the OP, I get no pleasure out of negotiating a ridiculous price back down to reality since it's often a pointless endeavor.

There are a lot of people that throw out a lot of ridiculously low offers in the hope that a seller is desperate. They have no intention of paying anything near a fair price. If I get one of those offers, I don't waste my time responding either. I don't take offense and wish them luck in their search to find an airplane well below market, but they aren't getting mine that way.

The only way I will get offended/upset is if you act like you are serious, want to see scanned logs/million pictures, and then give a ridiculous offer. That's not buying a plane, that's wasting time.

In the age of the internet, scanned logs and a lot of pictures should be something any seller is doing as part of the listing. The buyer shouldn't have to ask for them, and when wait for you to go take pictures and scan things. IMHO, the easiest way to spot a seller who isn't serious is by looking at the ad. Minimal details, few (or no) pictures, no scanned logs (at least the last couple of pages)? Assume seller will be difficult (and be pleasantly surprised if he/she isn't).

This thread is silly. A plane is worth to the seller what they are willing to receive to part with it. And if someone wants it they pay. A low ball offer has no impact on most sellers, and a well maintained good example is worth a premium. In my experience there are few "deals" to be had. Pay now or pay later.

In 60 seconds I can write a "pre-qualification letter" from the Cuervo Mortgage Company and Distillery that will be accepted by all realtors. And you can too.
That's called "fraud."

If your agent were my wife, your pre-approval would be confirmed through the lender, 'cause she ain't got time to waste showing property to lookie lou's.

OP, pbor2 is a joke,and real lsa aircraft prices are going up .

If your agent were my wife, your pre-approval would be confirmed through the lender, 'cause she ain't got time to waste showing property to lookie lou's.

Realtors are a dime a dozen.

They call me trying to sell me property.

I love it when over valued planes have descriptions like "KX170 and Apollo GPS" as if they got something hot to trot lol

First rule is don't try to buy a project airplane, even at a great price unless you can fix it yourself!
I try to find out what the market price is on an airplane or boat that I am looking at, I usually study the market, see what is selling and what it sitting. I don't have a problem making an offer that is much less than the asking price if I think that is the market price on the item. Be a smart buyer and realize that some things aren't overpriced by 20-30%, if you find one that has the avionics, engine time, paint and interior that you like, remember there are a lot of buyers for that airplane. If you want one that is run out and needs paint, interior and avionics, those are a tough sell and you need to buy them cheap to lower your loss when you finally sell them! :rolleyes:
And remember airplanes are very personal to sellers, I have sold a couple airplanes myself and I priced them at what I thought was the market price, sold them both fairly quickly. I had a couple low ball offers on one of them, but I got what I thought they were worth and moved on. If the seller is moving up it's easier to buy from him vs a seller that is getting out of aviation, he may not want to let go!
In the long run it's more important to get the right airplane than to save a couple nickels, you'll save money in the long run!

Never sold an airplane, but cars, trucks, houses, ATV's, boats, jet ski's, guns, etc. etc. etc.

My very favorite "negotiating" tactic of a potential "buyer" is offering a ridiculous price, I politely decline and tell them in most cases that I am indeed flexible on the price, but neither to the degree they're offering, nor over an email or phone call...from there, I occasionally get the guy who tells me defiantly that his offer is the current market value, and none have sold higher than his offer and to call him back when I realize that. I always tell them that if that is indeed accurate, I'd encourage them to buy one of the other examples on the market, that is priced more fairly in his eyes.

Point is, I'm all about negotiating. Much like the original poster, I think I enjoy it more than most (though I'm not Asian...that I'm aware of). What I don't think is a smart negotiating tactic is essentially telling someone that their price is completely wrong. Even if it is, as was mentioned in this thread, I'm unlikely to sell to "that guy".

For the record, last thing that happened with was an ATV, "that guy" offered me 55% of asking price, then told me when I finally realized he was right to call him. This was all over email within hours of posting ad on craigslist. 2 days later first person to look in person paid 90% of asking. So as far as I can tell, I was in the ballpark with my asking price. I resisted the urge to email 55% offer guy and let him know that it sold within spitting distance of my asking price to the first man to make the drive.

I have done a lot of buying and selling of used things like cars/trucks, farm machinery, and electronics over the years. Usually between my own market knowledge, craigslist ads, and ebay "completed listing" searches I can pretty quickly nail down the real market value of something and come up with a low but reasonable offer or high but reasonable asking price and get my business done fairly quickly without much haggling.

Airplanes are probably the hardest thing I've ever tried to find a reasonable market value on. There are precious few references to get a real market value.... about all I have is the ads which are all over the map or vref... which... IDK how accurate it really is. Then you've got so much variation because of avionics, hours on the engine, paint/interior condition, etc. Since upgrades and engines can easily be more costly than the airframe it's not usual to see two airplanes of the same make/model/vintage with one selling for twice or more than the other. Then you figure these panel upgrades often cost 2-3x more to put in than what they add to the value. Not hard to see how a buyer and seller can be way off on where they think the reasonable price should be.

Yeah, they know a sucker when they see one.

Some of them certainly do

Other ones don't have a clue.

The best ones I've seen are the ones that spend time working with all of their clients.

The ones who only work with "highly qualified" are the lazy ones.

The best ones will spend months building relationships up with potential buyers. Sending them to mortgage lenders who can help them rebuild their credit. Showing them homes that they'll be able to afford. That Kind of stuff.

Worrying about "looky- Lous " is just laziness.

Well, the good ones spend their Saturdays are open houses, letting anybody that wants to walk through their listing.

Collecting a list of "lookeey lous" that they end up selling houses to order the rest of the year.

Have done many a deal,and never insulted the seller. You make a legitimate offer ,and then move on.

I always thought you made a offer, they made a counter offer, rinse and repeat a few times, shook hands or moved on.

Back