Sue Flynn Hurt

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
A number of PoAer's know my wife Sue from Gaston's and other events. She's a Delta flight attendant and normally flies internationally.
This week in Athens, Greece she fell while returning to her hotel from dinner. She's been in a hospital in Athens for a day now for what has been diagnosed as a small fracture in her pelvis. Right now anything but flat on her back is extremely painful. She's in good spirits, and we hope that she can get back on a Delta flight on Tuesday. That depends on whether or not she can sit in a normal seat for the long flight back to Atlanta. When she does get back, I have no idea whether she'll have to go to a hospital again or rehab or home. For what it's worth Delta is really being great in taking care of everything they can.

Very sorry to hear it Lance. Hope thing work out well and she gets back here soon to heal.

Good luck. Getting laid up in a foreign country is never a picnic. heck, getting laid up anywhere is never a picnic.

We wish her "get well" soon, cuz flat on yer back ain't fun.

Sorry to hear that Lance. Get permission from your boss to fly that awesome Learjet over there and bring her home in comfort! :cheerswine:

Hope she is feeling better and gets back home soon!

Bummer. I'll bet she's motivated to get home ASAP. Best wishes on a quick return and speedy recovery.

Ditto on the well wishes for Sue, good on Delta, and I'll second Rich's Lear motion.

Sorry, Lance. Give Sue our love and hopes that she gets home for healing soon.

Sorry to hear that Lance. Get permission from your boss to fly that awesome Learjet over there and bring her home in comfort! :cheerswine:
You apparently have never ridden in the back of a Learjet.

You apparently have never ridden in the back of a Learjet.
All you need to do is get that air ambulance mod! Actually that didn't look too comfortable either.

Damn Lance...well wishes sent her way. I hope she can get home soon and heal quickly!

Sorry to hear that dude. Wishes for a Speedy recovery.

Being laid up sucks, beign laid up out of the country sucks worse, Being out of the country AND away from loved ones must be unbearable.

Hopes for a speady recovery and trip home!

Ouch ouch ouch. Make sure she gets some good meds before the trip. Any chance Delta will let her have a first class fold-flat seat? For a nominal upgrade fee?

Give her my best Lance. Hope she gets home comfortably. Anyone around she knows that can help out while she's there? Always a bummer to be alone away from home.

Dave

Best wishes from here for a speedy recovery and hope she gets home soon!

Ouch ouch ouch. Make sure she gets some good meds before the trip. Any chance Delta will let her have a first class fold-flat seat? For a nominal upgrade fee?
Apparently for Delta this is an OJI. They are doing everything they can. I just found our they are sending a supervisor over tomorrow to help her out and come back with her. Delta doesn't have first class international. They have some planes with fold flat seats in business, but not in the 767's they use for Athens. Even if they did, you can't have them flat for take off and landing. I think Delta is hoping they don't need to spring for an air ambulance at about $150K.

I thank everyone on here for the well wishes. I will pass them on to her when we talk tomorrow morning.

Lance, please tell Sue that Tom and I are sorry to hear about her injury. We hope she can get home soon and without too much discomfort. This must be hard on you, too, being so far away from her right now.

Another "Lance" wishing Sue a comfortable ride home and a speedy painless recovery. Perhaps some serious painkillers for the trip are in order. I can't imagine that anything else would be tolerable.

Aw, Lance, just saw this.

Tell Sue I am wishing for her speedy recovery. I know you are goin to be pampering her!

OUCH. Lance do you know which PART of the pelvis fractured? It makes a recovery difference.....

Sorry to hear of this. I've been outta touch, having just got back from a fun filled trip to Nebraska myself.
Hopefully, delta will get her home as soon as possible and as comfortably as possible.
Any idea on recovery time yet?

Prayers and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

-Rich

WOW, does not sound like fun. Hopefully the return trip isn't too uncomfortable for Sue. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Tony

Lance, give her my best. Try to find out which (A, B, or C) is the site. The recovery is quite different depending on which.....though she's in for six weeks of relative immobility and hopefully no CLOTS while down....

Attachments

• Pelvis.JPG
    Pelvis.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 22
I'm talking to Sue right now on Skype. She remains in good spirits. She's been out of bed, taken a few steps with a walker, and sat in a chair a few times.

Bruce, they've got those leg socks that pump up and down to help the clots now. Sounds encouraging that she'll be able to get up on the long ride home. I think the fracture is in area A, but I can't swear to that.

Again, she and I really appreciate your thoughts.

FWIW there is a signicant risk of developing DVT following pelvic fractures, and combined with a long overseas flight it might be worth considering some form of dvt prophylaxis. Good luck.

Sorry, but didn't read all the intervening posts. Some fractures, esp those that involve the hip joint, do better with surgery. Fractures of the pubic rami are generally treated non surgically. These are the ones most coomonly seen in females following a fall. Fractures that involve the hip joint or the SI joint generally take more energy than just a fall, like a fall from a height or a car crash.

By far the most effective means of dvt prevention is chemoprophylaxis with shots using drugs like Lovenox or Fragmin, or orals with coumadin. Sequential compressive devices require power, and are not as effective.

Good luck.

I would like to add my well wishes for Sue's speedy recovery, and that she'll be as comfortable as possible on her trip home.

It makes me realize that I often take good health for granted.

I hope Sue feels better soon. I hope she has a safe trip back home. Send my love to her. I hope you can try and rest now while you can. She will need you when she returns.

Sorry to hear it, but you need to get her out of European hospitals ASAP!!! Dope the heck out of her and put her in a lay down seat. There isn't a hospital in Europe I'd want to spend any time in.

I'm sorry to hear, Lance. I hope she gets back stateside soon. Getting hurt while away from home is about as not fun as it gets.

Back