Subforums for Local Areas or Airports

petrolero

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
petrolero
I've mentioned this in a couple threads so I figured I'd throw it out to the MC...

The idea is to establish sub-forums for local areas and/or airports. Perhaps by request.

Those forums could be used to discuss local happenings also... airport construction, closures, proposals, procedures, NOTAMs, CFI & DPE lists, mechanics and avionics shops, hangar availability, events, safety pilot requests, requests for help with projects, whatever. Stuff that has only local appeal but no real forum.

As word (and google searches) gets out, it might increase the use of PoA as a forum to discuss narrow local topics.

Just a thought.

That sounds like a great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like a diabolical plan for the Denver crew to begin taking over the world... Narf!

I like it! Then I can stop listening to all the anti-facebook whiners that don't get invited to our group events.... *cough cough... LOU hehe

Seems like a diabolical plan for the Denver crew to begin taking over the world... Narf!

At last count, over 50 members in Colorado. And a really good defense in the football team, too.

Good idea,seems like it would be a lot of work for the moderators.

Definitely a good idea.

Petrolero, btw, check on MeetUp.com, there might be already a pilot group in your area. If not, start it. :)

Shane, you simply had to go there, didncha? You silly FecesBooker, you. :D

Sounds like something that could be added to the cool places thread. Its a great idea

At last count, over 50 members in Colorado. And a really good defense in the football team, too.

Would be kinda interesting to do a heat map of US showing quantity of members per state.

Maybe someone in Colorado can track down the owner of DFWPILOTS.COM and discern the wisdom needed to stand up such a site.

Of course, they could just call me since I looked in to the cost of hosting a replacement for the Spin Zone <- see that!

Would seem to be a natural fit in the Cool Places Fly. Are individual sub forums really necessary, or would enduring threads under one "Local NOTAMs" be sufficient?

Would it perhaps work better if it were broken down by region instead of individual airports or local areas?

I'd think adding it in the Pilot Communities subforum would make sense.

Would it perhaps work better if it were broken down by region instead of individual airports or local areas?

I was thinking about that too. Cities, states, regions, I think it depends on pilot/topic density. It just needs to be useful. I'd let it be a grassroots decision that can change with usage.

Nate will be our king. :D

Actually, I'd be in the D/FW forum a lot too since that's my #1 destination.

When is the next run down here? Give us a chance to enjoy meal and libations with you.

I frequent another forum that has a subsection for each state. I don't see any reason it can't be done here. It would be a great idea.

I frequent another forum that has a subsection for each state. I don't see any reason it can't be done here. It would be a great idea.

That would require the MC to get together and remember all 50 states...

Now, here's a question, would these sub forums allow instructors, operators, and maintenance providers a place to non obnoxiously advertise/list services and offers for people in that region (or who would like to visit)?

I realize that this kinda pushes pushes current bounds, but not really a whole lot. I think it is something the industry kinda needs though, and by age and design, this site has probably the highest aviation question return ranking on Google. It actually scores so high, that if you google for information on a current thread, the same thread will come up as one of the first hits on Google.

Now, here's a question, would these sub forums allow instructors, operators, and maintenance providers a place to non obnoxiously advertise/list services and offers for people in that region (or who would like to visit)?

I realize that this kinda pushes pushes current bounds, but not really a whole lot. I think it is something the industry kinda needs though, and by age and design, this site has probably the highest aviation question return ranking on Google. It actually scores so high, that if you google for information on a current thread, the same thread will come up as one of the first hits on Google.

I would move that it should, at least initially, allow anything that affects the pilot community, including advertising and local aviation-related politics such as airport authority and city council or even state matters. Advertisers mostly understand that excessively pushing their businesses in a forum can be counterproductive. But honestly if I had a problem and a local biz has a possible solution, lemme know for sure.

I imagine it as more than just a place to post info about fly-ins since there is already sort of a place for that. Although I wouldn't preclude that stuff either.

I'd even try to publicize it around my airport and get as many of the locals on here as possible. I've been wishing for some way to get some of these hangar owners talking because we have a lot of similar issues but no real forum.

Last edited:
Just to follow up on this, what areas or airports would folks want?

I'd certainly request one for Denver Area.

I'd love to have one for the Los Angeles area -- even a separate "page" for each airport in L.A.

I went to a FAAST lecture last week that featured a KVNY tower controller. He told us what he and his colleagues would like pilots to do and what they would like us not to do. It all made perfect sense, but one of the things he didn't want us to do was something the tower controllers at nearby KCMA insist we do. It would be great if we had airport-specific pages to which tower controllers could post their preferences so we could do things the way they like, the first time.

I'd like to see Atlanta. I know there are quite a few Atlanta area POA members.

bump. Is there any current discussion among the MC of implementing this sub forum?

Why not just start a "Denver" thread, and bump it when necessary?

Just what we need it 6,863 sub forums. "Hey, Front Range got a forum, how come we can't have one for Boulder!"

Why not just start a "Denver" thread, and bump it when necessary?

Just what we need it 6,863 sub forums. "Hey, Front Range got a forum, how come we can't have one for Boulder!"

Why not do that? Because there are many different topics under the heading of "Denver". There are multiple airports and different local topics that come up. It would get a) confusing, b) lost to anyone unaware of its existence, and c) annoying for those who aren't interested in those topics. We've already had threads like that which drag on for many pages with cross-crossing subtopics within it. It becomes incomprehensible quickly.

What I would do is create a "Local Topics" (or some clever POA-ized title) sub-forum and put the individual city/regional sub-forums under that. Yes, there would be many. That is the idea. In fact, this could become a forum within a forum. But where else on the web does something like this exist? (seriously... if there is a place I'd like to check it out).

I

Just to follow up on this, what areas or airports would folks want?

I'd certainly request one for Denver Area.
Shall we say the Colorado area instead? There are a number of CO-POA folks not in Denver (I live in a 'burb, G-Man lives "up there", and Nate - well, Nate lives in NeverNeverLand....or is that G-Man's location? No, wait, G-Man lives in the People's Republic of Boulder.

Shall we say the Colorado area instead? There are a number of CO-POA folks not in Denver (I live in a 'burb, G-Man lives "up there", and Nate - well, Nate lives in NeverNeverLand....or is that G-Man's location? No, wait, G-Man lives in the People's Republic of Boulder.

Sure, why not. The idea is for local pilots to discuss local issues. Minutia. The first thread I'd start would be the Centennial Airport thread and then a Centennial Hangar Owners thread. So many issues to discuss.

Sure, why not. The idea is for local pilots to discuss local issues. Minutia. The first thread I'd start would be the Centennial Airport thread and then a Centennial Hangar Owners thread. So many issues to discuss.
What is wrong with simply starting a thread with the airport name in the title? If people are not interested they will skip it. We have threads about issues at various airports. Besides, we fly airplanes and may travel to an airport which is not in our home region.

What is wrong with simply starting a thread with the airport name in the title? If people are not interested they will skip it. We have threads about issues at various airports. Besides, we fly airplanes and may travel to an airport which is not in our home region.

Ease of finding the threads, basic website organization, etc. All sorts of good reasons. The only way to find them today is to search by multiple terms (APA, KAPA, Centennial for example) and sift through the results that will include any mention of the place.

The downside is creating and maintaining them all which would be massive if done airport by airport. Maybe manageable by geographic region.

How would you divide the country without creating too many subforums?

I'm not advocating this one way or another but the FAA divides into 9 (counting Pacific and Alaska) for the publication formerly known as AF/D. That might be a good start.

John

There's already "Cool Places to Fly" with 8 sub forums so I would think it would be similar to that. You may not necessarily need 8, but a setup like that would likely work fine. Perhaps 5?
  • Northeast
  • Southeast
  • Midwest
  • Northwest
  • Southwest

Back