Stutter a disqualifier?

simie1

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
simie
Friend has a kid that wants to be an airline pilot (kid’s probably 20). Has what is described as a minor stutter. Will that be a problem? Thanks!

Not for learning to fly, but if he can’t talk on the radio, it’s going to be difficult to progress in ratings. But it can and has been done.

There are many examples of kids (maybe with specialized training) growing out of it.

I’ve flown with pilots that stutter. They just kept repeating themselves. So irritating.

just kidding. But seriously I have flown with pilots that have a stutter but have learned how to manage it. No idea how bad theirs was in comparison to the person referred to in thread.

I remember reading an article a while back about a pilot sharing about the same thing. In his case, he found out during his discovery flight that the radio side tone eliminated his stutter.

Worked with a controller in the Marines that had a stutter. Think he only did one GCA and was terminated. No kidding, it was like “tu-tu-tu-turn right heading…”

I remember reading an article a while back about a pilot sharing about the same thing. In his case, he found out during his discovery flight that the radio side tone eliminated his stutter.
That doesn’t surprise me. Kinda like some singers. Like this girl. I was a stutterer. Not real bad. Still am from time to time. But in 30 years as a Controller, never did over the air.

Back