Stupid regulations

rwellner98

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
rw2
If it weren't for the NHTSA, we could still have cool cars like this one from 1922...

original.jpg

what's that thing behind the guy, a mini foosball table?

Needs a heat shroud over the exhaust for winter heat.

"This thing looks too safe, what if we put the radiator right where the driver is supposed to be looking" - The Inventor (Probably)

Judging by what is allowed on the road in some states, this would probably be legal.

Appears Rube Goldberg might have been in the room when the plans for that one were drawn up ...

What’s the chain’s purpose, maybe rear wheel suspension of some design?

What’s the chain’s purpose, maybe rear wheel suspension of some design?

Took a minute, but I bet the chains are holding up those wooden beams, and that above those there is some sort of large counterweight. The engine is heavy, and in front of the front axle, and the prop is going to want to pull it over as well.

This actually looks like some thought went into it, even though I'm sure there was no practical use. The angle iron connections look either bolted or riveted, and the headers and exhaust look pretty good, too. It's goofy, but doesn't look like a hack to me.

Other than the overall concept, the weirdest part to me is the prop. Is that an early variable pitch prop? Maybe the wagon is supposed to be a test bed for that?

You should be able to log something for being the sole manipulator of the pilot in command.

Surprised no one has mentioned lack of right rudder, or for that matter rudder at all. I do not see a steering wheel or rack & pinion front end.

Kinda reminds me of that cool amphibian homebuilt at sun-n-fun, made from a cool old aluminum rowboat with a lawn chair for the pilot seat, and a boat trailer winch for the retract mechanism. Totally cool!

I think it was just for doing test runs. The wheels are just to wheel it in and out of the workshop for test runs.

I do not see a steering wheel or rack & pinion front end.
He looks to have his hand on a tiller and if you extend the tiller shaft to the axle it looks like its connected to an arm of some sort. So my guess its an old style bellcrank steering linkage.

Back