Stupid Pilot Tricks Revisited

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
I was on my way to Fullerton Sunday, when I made a decision to land at Corona due to bad wx. I was lined up on short final (making all my calls) when a pilot comes on the radio and asks me if i always land downwind. I answered "no, can you tell me what the winds are down there, the sock looks dead to me". No reply. So i add power, go around and re-enter the pattern for the other runway. On final again, i see the pilot holding short of the runway. I land and see the windsock completly limp. No wind at all. After i clear the runway i hear that same pilot who asked me about landing downwind call rolling.
Why did he need to do that? There was NO wind.

Whatever.

It sounds like a local pilot being snotty about his "turf". I heard of a similar situation at a local airport one day. A local snipped at a transient about "12 being the active when winds are calm". When the transient asked other locals about it, only one of them (out of 10) agreed that was the case.

Nothing in the AFD, nothing anywhere says that 12 is the active with calm winds. Hopefully things like the ConUS Challenge will help teach a lot of pilots the importance of having transient traffic at their home drome. If you don't make it comfortable for them when they're flying in, why would you ever expect them to return?

Last edited:
Just like the Baron who called "short final" from 3 miles out and then said derisively to me, "You're not gonna' actually depart in front of me, are you?", your boy wanted a clear path.

Why?

Because the pilot community breeds more than it's fair share of know-it-all azzes. Ignore them...they will eventually shut up.

Greg
182RG

I once saw a piper take a runway when someone was very short final the other direction:eek:

Both radios was working- I called & told the piper there was short final traffic opposite runway. They stopped, other plane landed safely (although I would have gone around with a foul runway).

Contributing factors was a xwind 90° to the runway creating confusion as to which runway was favored. All this on my first solo XC.

ggroves said:
Why?

Because the pilot community breeds more than it's fair share of know-it-all azzes. Ignore them...they will eventually shut up.

Greg
182RG
Unfortunately, they often take innocent pax with them.

Sigh Michael. That sucks. You did the right thing tho, the guy may have seen some kind of crazy winds that you weren't seeing on the windsock. Obviously, looking back now, he didn't, but you listened to his advice about landing "downwind" and changed.

Boo stupid pilot with complex. Hooray Michael!

Probably saw the wind sock limp in the last known position of the wind before it went to nothing. My reply after seeing the sock myself, "Yes, I do because I am that good. I am sorry that you are not." LOL That would have gotten his goat.

It's kind of like the guy who got on me for doing a straight in to PWT earlier this year. He said they weren't allowed. BS. Don't worry about it.

The "official" wind sock here at N99 is sometimes quite misleading because there's a hill over it. The "unofficial" windsock on a private building is generally much more representitive of what is actually going on.

Thus, we get a situation sometimes where the "official" wind sock will cause you to decide on a tailwind landing.

ggroves said:
Ignore them...they will eventually shut up.

No they won't. But ignore them anyway (you'll never convince them they're wrong).

I was departing from EUL Caldwell Id. one day. There was an airplane on base so I started my takeoff roll. The guy on base got ticked off and instead of landing speed up and dove for the runway. He flew past me on the right side of the runway. I would of been out of his way if he had just continued with a normal landing. Go figure.

Bob Bement said:
I was departing from EUL Caldwell Id. one day. There was an airplane on base so I started my takeoff roll. The guy on base got ticked off and instead of landing speed up and dove for the runway. He flew past me on the right side of the runway. I would of been out of his way if he had just continued with a normal landing. Go figure.

Some pilots just aren't capable of flying a pattern different then normal and will let one minor detail **** them off.

I had a CFI jump me recently for slowing up in the pattern to let another aircraft take off. Apperantly it's dangerous if you don't fly 90 / 80 / 70 knots.

Although 70 knots would run you right off the runway at many airports in a C172.

Hooray for untowered fields. :)

"Do you always land downwind?"

"Nope, but I figured I'm up for the challenge..."

Back