Studying the CFR's/AIM

libertas

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
libertas
Have any of you read (not just skimming, but for comprehension) all of part 91? Just sat down and read, line by line, all of it with a highlighter in hand for the good stuff you need to retain.
Same thing for the AIM. The whole AIM. Front to back...all of it.

If so, was it worth it? I'm currently doing all the above and finding it useful but there is also stuff that I'd never use in the AIM in everyday part 91 flying. Several pages of semi-technical TIS information in intricate and repetitive detail that can be summed up much more efficiently: you still need to scan for traffic outside the cockpit, dumba**. About half way through the AIM and am wondering how much detail is absolutely necessary, and how much is detail driven .gov overkill. I'm still going to finish the task, but I'm a glutton for punishment sometimes.

Yes, but only up to 91.421 and without the highlighter
The rest of it hasn't applied to me yet.

Probably once through the AIM many moons ago.

Have any of you read (not just skimming, but for comprehension) all of part 91? Just sat down and read, line by line, all of it with a highlighter in hand for the good stuff you need to retain.
Same thing for the AIM. The whole AIM. Front to back...all of it.

If so, was it worth it? I'm currently doing all the above and finding it useful but there is also stuff that I'd never use in the AIM in everyday part 91 flying. Several pages of semi-technical TIS information in intricate and repetitive detail that can be summed up much more efficiently: you still need to scan for traffic outside the cockpit, dumba**. About half way through the AIM and am wondering how much detail is absolutely necessary, and how much is detail driven .gov overkill. I'm still going to finish the task, but I'm a glutton for punishment sometimes.
If you try to read it all you won't remember enough of it to do you any good, IMO. I'd say read enough to be able to find what you're looking for, then study the parts that apply as you are learning to do them. Want to know the correct way to fill out a flight plan? Go to the AIM and Part 91 and read about it. Want to know how to scam up some PIC time for your logbook? Study 91.109, etc.

Back