Studying...and Waiting....What To Do?....

LmannyR

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Luis R
Haven't flown since 2016 when I was going to get IR but life happened. Passed IR written in 2016. Fast forward to today...

So I'm ready to take the IR written. PSI says I need a copy of my previous passing Airman Knowledge Test Report (AKTR). That was in 2016! Sheesh. Email sent to the FAA requesting it. Now I wait.

Do I go burn holes in the sky with an instructor to get signed off for now? Or do I study for the Commercial now as well and get it out of the way as well? Or just wait... Currently have 115hrs.

GOAL ---> ATP for regionals.

If it was taken in 2016 it's long expired. You get to take it again.

PSI testing center says they need a copy of the original passing results to retake the test. Not sure why? FAA website says the same thing.

PSI testing center says they need a copy of the original passing results to retake the test. Not sure why? FAA website says the same thing.
Not required. You can use a passing or expired AKTR as retest authorization, or you can get an endorsement from an instructor saying you're prepared. You're only required to have the AKTR if you failed. Get the Gleim books, take practice test, receive endorsement online. Or just start working with your instructor, no written needed to start, and take the written when he thinks you're ready.

How did you study recently for your re test? On line courses (Sporty's, the above mentioned Gleim, etc.) provide you with an on line endorsement.

Since you don't have an endorsement, the answer is probably 'no".

IF you haven't re studied anything, I can't think of how you'd pass.

You say you have 115 hours. Total, or 115 IR training hours? Commercial requires 250 hours, so you're not quite there. Focus on finishing one thing before the next.

Ideally, get the endorsement from your CFII, but if not, most online study places, as WDD said, will give online endorsements. Even SheppardAir has a way to get an emailed endorsement from them.

Not required. You can use a passing or expired AKTR as retest authorization, or you can get an endorsement from an instructor saying you're prepared. You're only required to have the AKTR if you failed. Get the Gleim books, take practice test, receive endorsement online. Or just start working with your instructor, no written needed to start, and take the written when he thinks you're ready.

I used the KingSchool Online curriculum in 2016 and passed. Its a lifetime access to the curriculum so used it to study again. Will use the original King Endorsement.

Surprisingly, FAA sent me a copy of the 2016 passing test results PDF via email this morning. Less than 8 hours after sending them an email for the request. WOW! I now have the old results incase the testing facility requests it. Scheduled written for tomorrow morning.

How did you study recently for your re test? On line courses (Sporty's, the above mentioned Gleim, etc.) provide you with an on line endorsement.

Since you don't have an endorsement, the answer is probably 'no".

IF you haven't re studied anything, I can't think of how you'd pass.

You say you have 115 hours. Total, or 115 IR training hours? Commercial requires 250 hours, so you're not quite there. Focus on finishing one thing before the next.

Studied the KingSchools online IR curriculum in 2016. Since its a lifetime access curriculum, I restudied for the past 7 days from the moment I woke up, till I went to bed. Have taken 5-6 practice tests and all were between 88-95%. Will use the KingSchool endorsement.

My thinking for getting the commercial written out of the way is to focus on flying from this point on. Is commercial written, more or less difficult than IR written?

TT:115hrs

Commercial is similar to ppl written. IMHO easier because it’s material you already learned vs most people starting at zero with written content.

I found the commercial written to be the easiest one so far after the PPL and IR. Probably because of the overlap in material with private pilot and familiarity with testing procedure.

I'm studying for my commercial written right now with Kings and like others said it's similar to the PPL. I'll use Sheppard to get me ready for the test though.

Good To know. I'll knock out the commercial Kingschool curriculum after I take the IR written tomorrow. Start training next week.

Passed IR written with 90%. Very happy with those results. Will get 1st Class medical on Monday. Then Fly on Tuesday everyday. Meanwhile, studying for Commercial written.

Back