Student Starts & Pilot Retention

The 25-30 years ago part is very true. Activity around the small airports I go to is nothing compared to some years back. The people that fly today, for the most part, are flying 50-60 year old aircraft and not flying them very much. A lot of it is jobs!

A lot of it is cost. The $100 hamburger is a myth now unless I go less than 25 miles away...and I drive more than that to get to the airport!

Since finishing my private, I've been really struggling to justify doing the flights I really want to do exactly because of cost. My last flight was Raleigh to Frederick MD for the AOPA fly-in, a rather short 250nm distance...but $700 for a day trip is just crazy. If I did that every weekend, it would be $3000/month and I'd only be going about 300 miles. I can think of a lot of things that are cheaper than $3000/month, including some illegal ones.

Unless the cost of flying comes way down, I can't see that ever being feasible...and I have a relatively good job in the top 5%. So if you want to know why there's fewer pilots flying, it's because there are fewer and fewer people who can really afford to fly.

Please henning, just the crumbs of your wisdom! please explain why "it's our fault"! ( aside from greed and stupidity. )

Because we don't advance, failing to invest in development and infrastructure to keep up with growing need, deeming it "too expensive", as if money meant anything.

A lot of it is cost. The $100 hamburger is a myth now unless I go less than 25 miles away...and I drive more than that to get to the airport!

Since finishing my private, I've been really struggling to justify doing the flights I really want to do exactly because of cost. My last flight was Raleigh to Frederick MD for the AOPA fly-in, a rather short 250nm distance...but $700 for a day trip is just crazy. If I did that every weekend, it would be $3000/month and I'd only be going about 300 miles. I can think of a lot of things that are cheaper than $3000/month, including some illegal ones.

Unless the cost of flying comes way down, I can't see that ever being feasible...and I have a relatively good job in the top 5%. So if you want to know why there's fewer pilots flying, it's because there are fewer and fewer people who can really afford to fly.
Read carefully henning. Here's the correct answer. Not only is 700 bucks a lot for this trip but probably in a ragged out 30-40 year old rental with a torn seat or two. No way!

It wouldn't matter what it cost as long as people had enough excess. The problem is we get less in trade for our time and effort. We support the markets that rape us. It's our own fault.

The 25-30 years ago part is very true. Activity around the small airports I go to is nothing compared to some years back. The people that fly today, for the most part, are flying 50-60 year old aircraft and not flying them very much. A lot of it is jobs! Well paying jobs at east coast G.M. Plants, Beth Steel , textile mills, etc. are gone and are not coming back. Automation and cheap overseas labor have finished most of them off. American corporations used to care about their workers wages as the serfs bought most of their products right here at home. Today they sell globally, they could care less about the American worker. They get child labor overseas for peanuts.

I dunno.. we're swimming in cash today.. more than i've ever seen. Some areas are suffering, i won't doubt that.. but more often then not, people own huge houses, multiple cars, multiple smart phones, multiple ipads, multiple computers, atvs, motorcycles and tons of other crap. There is simply an absurd amount of competition from every direction from your dollars that aviation is struggling and from my perspective, its struggling largely because of the opportunity to cash out.

Many beautiful private strips around here are closed because the dude bought the property 20 years go for 50k and sold it for 2.5 million dollars today. No flying club can afford to operate on a 2.5 million dollar loan and no sane pilot is going to have such capital sit around to preserve the heritage either because profit profit profit..

heck, even the flying neighborhoods here in texas are largely moving to the 500k+ houses.. (goodby middle class, hellooo top earners..)

50 years ago, i don't think the disparity of income was so vast that those who can afford it, dominate it and do so without regard.

Today, we have tons of disposable income, but flying isn't where people want to push it. The social status is on big houses people can't afford, multiple cars that are shiny and new and all the tech gadgets you can consume and rebuy year after year that everything else seems expensive.. People care more if you spent 3k re-upping your iphone 6 contract then if you had 20 hours of flying time..

and then those that can afford it, seem to thrive on the fact that have carte blanche access to aviation.. heck, most people advertise and market just how "exclusive" aviation is and what pride it is to have your license.

As for the people talking about "man up" and do what you want.. i have to laugh at that too.. i'd wager many people are losing their man cards not because they don't have enough testosterone flowing through their veins and don't already ignore their wives and kids like the plague but that the're so spent on spending money everywhere else and on so much crap that their wives are doing them a favor in keeping them from the airports as many of the dudes i see flying should be the last people in the air.

but thats just my 2 cents.. good to be back on the forums :D

lets not forget too, its a new generation. The youth doesn't even want cars as cars are getting expensive.. payments of 4-500/month.. Plus parking.. plus insurance + repairs + upkeep + the world being out to destroy/scratch/steal/break your car at every opportunity sort of puts aviation out in the "never ever going to consider it" realm for the young kids..

Last edited:
Never heard of your hotel until right now. I am about to take my checkride and planning an IFR adventure for instrument training following that...your offer is very tempting for a stop on my tour.

:rofl:

PM me when you pass your ride, and the gift certificate will be in the mail that day! :yes:

We are built by pilots, for pilots -- so it's in our best interest to encourage MORE pilots. Spread the word!

PM me when you pass your ride, and the gift certificate will be in the mail that day! :yes:

We are built by pilots, for pilots -- so it's in our best interest to encourage MORE pilots. Spread the word!

i'll have to stop by just because I love the name Amelia, that's my daughters name :)

Please henning, just the crumbs of your wisdom! please explain why "it's our fault"! ( aside from greed and stupidity. )

I wouldn't call it wisdom, Jimmy. Mostly he just whines and does nothing about the things that bother him.

In 1999 a new Cessna 172 cost $150k. A Toyota 4Runner cost 30k. Now, in 2014 a new Cessna 172 costs what $350k! A Toyota 4Runner costs 40k. What happened?

Actually we will make out airspace worse then Europe. ADS-B makes it possible and easy.

I fly in Europe… no real problem with the airspace (although IFR gets expensive). The biggest problem is fuel costs distantly followed by the regulatory regime introduced by the EU….

I disagree that flying lacks a social aspect. You just have to find it. And it usually exists at out of the way fields (often grass) with active clubs and (maybe) glider or parachute operations.

I have landed at small unfamiliar fields in France, Germany, Italy, Russia, UK, US and they are all the same… hospitable interesting people who bend over backwards to be helpful to a pilot who flew in from somewhere else, with recommendations about where to stay or even a place for free. So those environments exist in every country with a GA tradition--newly minted PPLs should set out to find them….

Just wanted to point out that Jay is a stand up guy who stands behind his word. Received my certificate for a free night in the mail :) Can't wait to do my IFR adventure with a stop in KRAS.

Thanks Jay!

Just wanted to point out that Jay is a stand up guy who stands behind his word. Received my certificate for a free night in the mail :) Can't wait to do my IFR adventure with a stop in KRAS.

Thanks Jay!
You're welcome! :)

How about it, CFIs? Spread the word that your students score a free night in any aviation themed room for passing their checkride!

Back