Student Records

Iceman21

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Iceman21
For the CFIs out there, what do you use to keep track of your student's progress?

To further explain why I ask the question, we've recently completed our own private pilot syllabus and I am looking for way to keep all our student records organized. I see the Jepp and ASA folders and I like the idea of those but I would have to customize the folder for our syllabus, which I don't have a problem doing, I cannot find the correct paper size to use though. The Jepp folder is 34 5/8" x 12".

I just kept notes on my knee board, I also figured if I could keep my load of students progress in my head, that was too many students. This is for a high time well paid CFI though, if you're hiring 250hr wonders and paying scraps, you might need more oversight.

Saying goes, pay peanuts you get monkeys.

If you're higher end, your CFIs should have no problem keeping track of their students progress.

I just kept notes on my knee board, I also figured if I could keep my load of students progress in my head, that was too many students.

14 CFR 61.189 aside, I would hate to imagine a scenario where your student is involved in an incident, and his logbook is nowhere to be found. You'll need more than scratched kneeboard notes and recollection from memory to provide evidence of the training you've given him.

Golden rule for CFIs when it comes to documentation: If you didn't log it, it didn't happen. That goes for air and ground instruction. As much as we might hate it, good records are a very important part of our job.

14 CFR 61.189 aside, I would hate to imagine a scenario where your student is involved in an incident, and his logbook is nowhere to be found. You'll need more than scratched kneeboard notes and recollection from memory to provide evidence of the training you've given him.

Golden rule for CFIs when it comes to documentation: If you didn't log it, it didn't happen. That goes for air and ground instruction. As much as we might hate it, good records are a very important part of our job.
Don't talk to him like that. Don't you know he's a high time and well paid CFI?

I use a a maneuver check-the-box form with a lot of room for extra comments fir individual lessons. It is signed by both me and the student. When I used it on paper, it was 2-part NCR and I gave my student a copy. Now it's on my tablet and I email my student a copy.

Fir training toward a certificate or rating, I also put together a spreadsheet years ago to track overall progress easily, similar in concept to the Jepp training record.

BTW, since the issue of instructor liability always seem to come up with this topic (I see it already has :)), no, my record keeping methodology is not due to liability concerns. I just think good record-keeping is a standard part of good business practice.

Last edited:

I'm not talking about the mandatory recording keeping, I'm talking about notes on the students progress, having a game plane for the next lesson based on where he was on his last lesson and where he needs to go.

Back