Student Question: Steam Gauge vs G1000

panel.jpg

Is this glass or partial glass? I say partial because all of the engine instruments are round. But I always enjoy a thread I can post pictures of it in!

Is this glass or partial glass? I say partial because all of the engine instruments are round. But I always enjoy a thread I can post pictures of it in!

I love it...spares no expense in latest avionics upgrades...too cheap for a P-Touch label maker! :D

I love it...spares no expense in latest avionics upgrades...too cheap for a P-Touch label maker! :D

My plane is 90% complete and 90% to go... I'm looking at rub-down labels to replace the fancy yellow tape. Also, you see primer that will be painted white, and I'm thinking of other grips to replace the classy wooden ones.

I've not flown a G1000. Do they have bugs the pilot can set for targeted altitude and airspeed? We had those in the F-111, and they give an analog display showing your distance from your targeted value.
AFIK all G1000s have bugs, though the bug is not connected to the King APs. Maybe the GFC700, though, I don't have very much time in those. The height and scale of the tape is such that the bug is scrolled out of sight until you get close to the "bugged" altitude. So for me, anyway, it is not much help. YMMV.

AFIK all G1000s have bugs, though the bug is not connected to the King APs. Maybe the GFC700, though, I don't have very much time in those. The height and scale of the tape is such that the bug is scrolled out of sight until you get close to the "bugged" altitude. So for me, anyway, it is not much help. YMMV.

You can bug altitude and heading in the G1000 with GFC700 AP. You can also set a stall proof ascent speed (IAS). And a set decent in FPM using VS. There is also a VNAV mode for a series of vertical descents with a set flight path angle.

Correct While The heading bug on the HSI is "connected" to both the KAP and GFC autopilots, the altitude select from the PFD only works with the GFC. For the KAP you have to input target altitudes on the autopilot controller itself.

Back