Student pilot medical

FutureFly

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
FutureFly
Afternoon,

I will have a consult with a AME this week, if I understand correctly that an AME can no longer issue a Student pilot certificate and a 3rd class or higher medical certificate at the same time anymore. So if I am issued a 3rd class or higher during my exam how do I go about getting a student pilot certificate if wanting to learn part 61 through a pilot freind? Does one have to be done before the other?

AME issues medicals. You'd have to have a class 3 to solo, but you can solo on a class 2 or class 1 as a student as well.

Your instructor will help you get a student pilot certificate through IACRA.

Two separate things.

AME issues medicals. You'd have to have a class 3 to solo, but you can solo on a class 2 or class 1 as a student as well.

Your instructor will help you get a student pilot certificate through IACRA.

Two separate things.
So just get the physical done first, make sure I’d qualify for a medical. Then just ask the instructor in regards to the student pilot. Thank you for the prompt response and info!

So just get the physical done first, make sure I’d qualify for a medical. Then just ask the instructor in regards to the student pilot. Thank you for the prompt response and info!
Correct.

There is a long list of possible issues with medicals, mostly around previous DUIs, prohibited prescription drugs, psychiatric diagnoses.

Start here and see if you have any disqualifiers https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/forums/medical-topics.13/ and engage Dr Bruce or someone of similar caliber before applying for your medical.

There is no separate "student pilot medical". There is only BasicMed, class 1, 2, or 3. You cannot solo without one of those. You can fly with a CFI while awaiting a medical. Once you get your medical and your CFI endorses you, you are eligible to solo and can fulfill your training requirements to get your PPL.

Edit: fellow student pilot here. The above is my understanding, but others here have way more expertise in this field and may correct me.

There is no separate "student pilot medical". There is only BasicMed, class 1, 2, or 3. You cannot solo without one of those. You can fly with a CFI while awaiting a medical. Once you get your medical and your CFI endorses you, you are eligible to solo and can fulfill your training requirements to get your PPL.

Edit: fellow student pilot here. The above is my understanding, but others here have way more expertise in this field and may correct me.
All correct, but you can solo in an LSA without a medical if you have such an airframe available or you (and someone to train you in it)

Do you have a known issue medically or legally that you know of that will prevent you from getting a medical. If you aren’t on any prescribed meds, no medical diagnosis of any kind, and haven’t been in the past ( clean medical health) then there isn’t anything to worry about. If you have previous dx (childhood or otherwise) then yes - potentially a consult might be helpful. That being said - it’s pretty obvious if you do your own research which boat you will be in.

There is no separate "student pilot medical".
I think the OP was referring to the old combination student pilot certificate and medical, which was obtained from the AME. That went away, I think, sometime after 9/11 when the government started to get anxious about who was taking flying lessons so they separated the process and created IACRA.

Pretty close. You can't fly with Basic Med unless you previously had a medical certificate.

Correct.

There is a long list of possible issues with medicals, mostly around previous DUIs, prohibited prescription drugs, psychiatric diagnoses.

Start here and see if you have any disqualifiers https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/forums/medical-topics.13/ and engage Dr Bruce or someone of similar caliber before applying for your medical.
Thank you all for the info, I’ve spent the past month or so getting my various medical records consulting some doctors, visiting others to have the proper forms filled out, to take with me to the AME for a consult, since I have some medical history; given I’ve researched the FAA medical requirements, want to have everything ready in case of a possible deferment. So it’s as smooth as a process as I can make it on my end. Say I qualify for a class 1 but not sure how long it would take me to get to ATP certification, in that case would it be best to obtain the class 1 now, then drop to 3rd class or basic med in order to give more time between necessary medicals again? Until a higher medical class is needed for a career.

All AME's are not created equal. Please do yourself a huge favor and contact Dr Bruce http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/startpagina.html before a helpful AME makes a misstep that you'll have to get Dr Bruce to fix anyway.

Whatever your medical issue is, he's been there and done that and is the best source for navigating the FAA's treacherous medical application process.

Spend the money for his guidance on the front side, because you'll have to spend it with him later when your medical gets hung up with the FAA.

Thank you all for the info, I’ve spent the past month or so getting my various medical records consulting some doctors, visiting others to have the proper forms filled out, to take with me to the AME for a consult, since I have some medical history; given I’ve researched the FAA medical requirements, want to have everything ready in case of a possible deferment. So it’s as smooth as a process as I can make it on my end. Say I qualify for a class 1 but not sure how long it would take me to get to ATP certification, in that case would it be best to obtain the class 1 now, then drop to 3rd class or basic med in order to give more time between necessary medicals again? Until a higher medical class is needed for a career.

there is no in case of a possible deferment. Its pretty blank and white. So you should know if its going to happen beforehand. If it is - then you should get with an experienced AME that knows what additional information will be required when you do your physical and have that ready to submit in there to save you the initial 3-6 months the FAA takes to get back. But that wont make the process any easier - it just streamlines the first step. But you're going to have to supply what they want and not what you think they want. That means if they are going to require cogscreens, or drug tests or whatever - those have to be done to their satisfaction during submittal. Otherwise you are not any further along.

Also valid is doing the student pilot application with your CFI first to get that done.

Then see the AME for the medical certificate

There is no “this is first” dependency on these two items.

Either one can be first.

I think the OP was referring to the old combination student pilot certificate and medical, which was obtained from the AME. That went away, I think, sometime after 9/11 when the government started to get anxious about who was taking flying lessons so they separated the process and created IACRA.
My first medical included the Manila colored student pilot certificate. That was 2010.

Bit I think the switch happened not long after that.

there is no in case of a possible deferment. Its pretty blank and white. So you should know if its going to happen beforehand. If it is - then you should get with an experienced AME that knows what additional information will be required when you do your physical and have that ready to submit in there to save you the initial 3-6 months the FAA takes to get back. But that wont make the process any easier - it just streamlines the first step. But you're going to have to supply what they want and not what you think they want. That means if they are going to require cogscreens, or drug tests or whatever - those have to be done to their satisfaction during submittal. Otherwise you are not any further along.
Poor choice of words on my part. I will learn from the AME during my consult this week where exactly I stand, considering I have some questions.

Last edited:
Well since you aren't mentioning what the concern really is, we cna't really help you. My suggestion is get a consult with an AME but DO NOT YET do the flight physical. And for sure if there is any drug/alcohol/substance in your past, be sure you consult with a HIMS AME.

Last edited:
And no prior medical has been revoked or denied. And the prior medical has to be after 2006
Not precisely correct. It is only the most recent medical could have been revoked, suspended, or withdrawn, and the most recent application completed denied. And you only have to have HELD a valid medical on July 15, 2006 or later. It might have been issued several years before that.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back