Student Pilot Gear

BitStream89

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BitStream89
Which gear do you guys recommend for someone just starting off? I purchased a few books already and a headset but I'm not sure what else I'll need. I had my first lesson last weekend and am plunging in headfirst.

Did any of you record your lessons for future review?

Thanks

wait for it..............................

a metal landing calculator!!!!!

:rofl: :goofy: :rofl: :goofy: :rofl: :goofy:

(sorry, new guy, kind of an inside joke 'round here)

Ask your CFI

Don't buy a bunch of crap, stats say there is a very good chance you'll wash out and end up selling the stuff for pennies on the dollar, or worse through it in a closet and never get use out of it.

I tell my guys to get a sectional chart, slide rule, plotter, FAR, and I recommend the King program, often they just use the old version on a computer.

Normally the headset and whatnot are something you buy when you get your PPL.

Also don't bother with the stereotypical huge rookie flight bag, you'll find all you need for most flights is your headset and a chart.

Someone needs to go back through past threads on this topic, compile all of the varied suggestions by item (books, headset, CRM items...) and then submit that to the MC to become a sticky thread.

Ask your CFI

Don't buy a bunch of crap, stats say there is a very good chance you'll wash out and end up selling the stuff for pennies on the dollar, or worse through it in a closet and never get use out of it.
Amen. Or you'll buy books or other materials that aren't compatible with your school's training program and then have to buy more while not using the ones you already bought. Just take Aaron Rodgers' advice and R-E-L-A-X -- your instructor will let you know what you need when you need it.

You can't go wrong going to the FAA website and downloading the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, or any of the other their free publications. The great advantage to using the FAA publications, is that is what the FAA handed the bureau that makes up the written tests, so if you know this material, you will be familiar with everything on the written. Plus it's free. No, it's not the most entertaining thing, and maybe not the best written, but it's free. One thing you will come to appreciate in aviation is anything that is free. Lots of free cookies in aviation, not a bunch else.

Someone needs to go back through past threads on this topic, compile all of the varied suggestions by item (books, headset, CRM items...) and then submit that to the MC to become a sticky thread.

Here's my throw at it-

- Student Pilot Cert / Medical (You can start without it but can't solo without it)
- Headset
- A few local sectionals
- E6B
- Plotter
- small calculator (Or your phone)
- Kneeboard
- Fuel tester (If there's not one in the plane)
- Bag (For all your stuff)

That's all I would buy and there's lots of opinions on which headsets, bags and even E6Bs to buy.

All the books you need are on the FAA.gov website. Beyond that, a plotter and E6B are all you need for tools, then a Sectional chart for your area. You can probably scare the tools up used from someone around the airport or online.

Edit: One of my students ended up with 3 or 4 E6Bs given to her from someone by just hanging around the airport. She's an attractive female, so not sure how much that factored in!

If you have a big budget and want to get something that has uses outside of aviation then a tablet (either android or apple) isn't a terrible thing (but put it away until you get to the cross country portion of your training). If you have a good instructor then they will teach you how to get the most of modern technology and how to cope when it fails.

One of those cloud level scopes sportys sells.:no:
Stop buying crap and go fly.

All the books you need are on the FAA.gov website. Beyond that, a plotter and E6B are all you need for tools, then a Sectional chart for your area. You can probably scare the tools up used from someone around the airport or online.

Edit: One of my students ended up with 3 or 4 E6Bs given to her from someone by just hanging around the airport. She's an attractive female, so not sure how much that factored in!

^^^ This...download is free. Watch YouTube videos....free online test prep for written.

I got bunch of old stuff (all usable) gifted to me.

Bought fairly inexpensive headset, local chart and kneeboard on ebay. Headset is now my passengers and still use kneeboard to hold my checklists.

I did buy a old handheld GPS Garmin92 for like $50 on Ebay...it worked for what I needed during PPL and back me up on solo cross country. Now its my back-up.
Don't buy a bunch of stuff.

Last edited:

Yes, buy their crap that they are getting rid of!

There is alot of stuff on ebay good for learning too. plotters, calculators, cheap headsets, kneeboards, etc etc. After i finish and have some time that lets me formulate a realistic opinion on what i like and don't like, i can buy things based on real experience of what i like and don't like.

Last edited:
Things I got at the start of my PPL:
* manual E6B, kneeboard, etc from above.
* Free FAA books in PDF on my nexus 7 (I've since switched to ipad mini).
* headset on ebay for $50 ($125 new) - 10x better than the student/loaner headsets - not all nasty
* local sectional an SFO TAC
* AF/D

I used a messenger day bag to carry everything for a few months. It was disorganized, but it was free as I already had it. Nearing the end of my PPL, I started shopping for a used brightline bag on ebay and finally found one for less than half of new. It took a couple of months of waiting for one that didn't get bid up like crazy. It's the 4" one. It now holds (didn't have all this to start with):
* Headset
* Kneeboard + cheap notepad/kneeboard charts from AOPA
* iPad (foreflight) + external dual gps
* 12/24v USB charger + wires for above
* Sectional/TAC charts - backup - out of date- I always print kneeboard+taxi charts from AOPA for my planned and alternate airports.
* out of date AF/D
* 3 small emergency blankets (already had)
* small first aid kit (got a small one from REI)
* 2 cliff bars (I rotate out as I eat these while playing volleyball for a few hours at a time)
* Various pens & mechanical pencils. I like the fine point for log book, med point for kneeboard.
* Whatever barf bag I got from my last commercial flight for the passengers - never used one, but figure it can't hurt. I always have this available and pocket unzipped - just reach & grab.
* Log book
* Medical
* headlamp for night flights
* extra battery for headset and headlamp
* pocket knife kit with various tools

It's a lot of stuff, but it fits in a small 4" bag. It's super compact and organized. I even took one of the side pockets off, I think it's for a radio. If I ever get a radio for cheap, it'll go in the side pocket.

I'm not the most efficient with the iPad + paper/kneeboard, but whatever. It works for me. I'm not able to write quickly on the scratchpad on foreflight....well, at least not something I can read it back later.

Before flight, I only take out:
kneeboard & notepad + whatever airport papers from AOPA, pen, place paper chart lower pilot side holder, ipad, gps, & headset. Everything else stays in bag.

I'm also a newbie pilot and still figuring this out. So far, this works for me.

You should alsoget in the habit of bringing lots of pens in the plane. Planes seem to eat pens.

flashlights

One of those cloud level scopes sportys sells.:no:
Stop buying crap and go fly.

That can be a handy tool though later on when making long trips resisting altitude limits and trying to stay on top of weather. It helps to know well in advance if you'll clear or have to get under.

A money tree would be a good thing to plant about now as well.

I bought the Gleim "Be a Pilot" box from the FBO. Everything is included except a headset and sectional. Books, plotter, study guides, test prep, etc.

I bought the Gleim "Be a Pilot" box from the FBO. Everything is included except a headset and sectional. Books, plotter, study guides, test prep, etc.

Gleim puts out a good product line, wait until your 3rd lesson is over before you buy anything. The free PDF PHAK will have everything you need to think about until then.

1. Free FAA docs
2. Kneeboard
3. E6B
4. Sectional/TAC
5. A/FD

Get everything else later.

+ Log Book

Missed that one, always a safe move to pick up a 20buck jepp logbook :yes:

Kneeboard or clipboard is essential

Ehh, you really don't need to be strapping all sorts of crap onto yourself to be a simple VFR pilot, I'm not a fan of knee boards, I fly hard IFR for a living and don't need/use/want one.

Some students have bought them, I told them to leave it behind and let me know after a few flights if they really felt they needed it, not one student went into a check ride with one.

IF, and this is a big if, you find you really need pen and paper for VFR ops just get a small 5x8 legal pad and a few pens from the office store, that's what I use, it just sits on my lap or the pax sear, or the side pocket, I've never found the need to use 50 straps to hold it to my body :dunno:

One easy way to tell a low time pilot from a more experienced one, all the crap they bring, damn near a gym bag full of "pilot stuff", you see a experienced guy, it's a headset and maybe 5x8 notepad/iPad mini.

It's also been a while since I used a AFD in flight, most everything you need to know on the fly is on a sectional, the E6B you should be mental math in the air,

Last edited:
Missed that one, always a safe move to pick up a 20buck jepp logbook :yes:

Ehh, you really don't need to be strapping all sorts of crap onto yourself to be a simple VFR pilot, I'm not a fan of knee boards, I fly hard IFR for a living and don't need/use/want one.

IF, and this is a big if, you find you really need pen and paper for VFR ops just get a small 5x8 legal pad and a few pens from the office store, that's what I use, it just sits on my lap or the pax sear, or the side pocket, I've never found the need to use 50 straps to hold it to my body :dunno:
Some people like kneeboards. I personally don't. They are too big and clunky. I use a small clip board and it works just fine and I can easily stick it in the side pocket when I don't need it.

One last time...

Ask your instructor, and don't buy anything else until you ask him/her.

Thanks, my instructor recommended I buy a headset that's it.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Logbook and headset. Those are the only things you need to get you to solo(besides the medical cert.) Everything else can come later.

Best thing I ever bought as a student pilot then a new pilot and eventual plane owner was the $49 Sporty's 2 Day Free Shipping subscription!

I agree you do not need a lot of crap to start out, but once you figure out what crap you do want it as great to order it and have it show up right away!

Headset, knee board, log book, water bottle and a crappy bag is what I walked in the door with!

Last edited:
Thanks, my instructor recommended I buy a headset that's it.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

My student beat me to the punch on the headset issue. After the first flight he hated the rental headset and drove 120 miles down to Sporty's to try different headsets. Bought a Bose A20.

Definitely don't blame him a bit. He just surprised me. We could have flown 20 minutes and gone to the nearest pilot shop instead.

David

Headset I'm mixed on for the first three lessons or so, a good set is pretty expensive.

I just bought a logbook, a sectional, and a TAC chart. About halfway through my Private training I bought a lightly used pair of David Clark H10-13.4 for $150. They were decent headsets but I greatly prefer the Lightspeed Zulus I bought later. Now the DC's are used for passengers.

I got an iPad mini with Foreflight and it is a wonderful tool. My instructor uses his exclusively... so I thought it would be a good thing to have. However, I realized that it is a bad idea for training and learning. During progress checks and your check ride, they will likely want to see how you do with traditional methods... and if you are dependent on any nifty tools, you can be sure they will sense it and take them away.

I did get an app for my iphone called Dauntless Ground School, it is a handy way to supplement ground study on the go and has a Learn by Listening feature.

If you have, or want an excuse to buy an iPad, ok. Garmin Pilot has a 30 day full function free trial.

Back