Student Pilot flying with Private Pilot Not CFI

AerialGhost

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
AerialGhost
I am a student pilot who has soloed. However, it is fairly recent and I only have 5 hours PIC. My father is a private pilot but not a CFI. When I go flying with him, and I am the sole manipulator of the controls, can I count that as PIC and time towards my private, or is he considered a passenger, or because he is not a CFI I can't count the time. This is all done in the 25 nm radius from my home base. Thanks for the help.

You cannot count anytime with another pilot unless they are a CFI. You cannot carry passengers and be PIC as a student. You can fly with another private pilot, but he will be PIC and you cannot log any of it. :(

You cannot count the time flying with your father as PIC time (for you). What you are doing is not illegal but the time doesn't count for your rating requirements. Because if you are PIC, he's a passenger and you are not permitted to carry passengers until you pass your check ride.

-Skip

+1

You can fly with your dad all you like but you can't log it.

Also if you're flying on the left side, make sure your dad feels comfortable in the right seat.

You will get a lot of unlogable experience,which may be helpful.just be sure the PIC in the right seat is able to handle the airplane from that seat.

Back