Student Pilot Advice

Wow, who would have thunk an examiner would ask questions about instruments on a instrument rating test.

Study you ass off for the Comm and CFI and slow the hell down - you’ll be fine.

Ain’t been in your specific position before, but close at one point. Here’s something to that might come in handy.

If you have a goal and know what it takes to get there, then get there within the boundaries. Gotta make life changes to do so? The choice is yours. Gotta own your mistakes, learn from them, and speak to that? Grab a slice of humble pie and step up to the table.

Can’t be accountable to anyone else until you’re accountable to yourself.

None of these are a show-stopper. 2-3 traffic tickets isn't usually a problem for a regional airline. Can't speak for the majors. The airlines will ask about checkride failures and "the examiner was unfair" (for whatever reason) is the wrong answer.

As posted, I would continue training and advancement. Put some distance from those negatives, don’t add to them.

I'm still just a student myself and not even going for PPL career wise, but my advice from the business and engineering world and who's also done some interviewing and hiring, I think the same applies here. Push forward, quit getting tickets, pass your checkrides in the future. If or when you get asked about the failed checkride, it's not the CFIs fault or anyone's but your own. You were responsible for your own preparation, learned on a G1000, and failed to make sure you studied on the side about a six pack. Then just add something about how you've learned to be more detailed, pay more attention, whatever. The whole point is there's nothing to hide, something went wrong and you learned from it so you won't repeat it. Now you've turned a failed checkride into almost a good thing. I can't stand working with or managing blamers, and would much rather fix, learn, and move on.

- operating a Motor Vehicle with electronic device (2020) still being contested in court not on my record yet.... I was given a ticket for looking down and the cop assumed I was on my phone
You have a really interesting lap?

None of those will kill your career. You would be surprised how many airlines pilots have convictions for misdemeanors.

None of those will kill your career. You would be surprised how many airlines pilots have convictions for misdemeanors.

My main concern is that will this lower my chances of making it to a major airline?

Ain’t been in your specific position before, but close at one point. Here’s something to that might come in handy.

If you have a goal and know what it takes to get there, then get there within the boundaries. Gotta make life changes to do so? The choice is yours. Gotta own your mistakes, learn from them, and speak to that? Grab a slice of humble pie and step up to the table.

Can’t be accountable to anyone else until you’re accountable to yourself.

I have learned from these mistakes that I have made. My checkride was an eye opening one for me in terms of preparation however I feel discouraged at the same time if my chances of making to a major are gone because of this.

I believe the nearly 100% consensus here is that you WON'T have a problem, but your last posts seem to point that your listening skills could use some sharpening.

I think most people have a few speeding tickets on their records. Just don’t keep on getting them and you should be alright. As far as the failed check ride, you should be alright as well. Most people have a failed check ride, stage check, etc.

Back