Student Medical TIA

D

DK1107

Wanting to start training for PPL under BasicMed. Never applied for BM or Class 3. Had a TIA about 4 years ago...no long term effects. Caused by stress (small biz owner), tobacco, too high Testosterone level in shots, diet pills. Perfect storm. All areas have been addressed...not issues now. Question is if I can get my GP to sign off on Basic Med, do I need to go through SI process if I list TIA as previous issue in the past on BM application?

Basic Med is only an option after you have held at least a Class 3 medical. As far as the TIA being a setback, you're going to want to go over your entire medical history in a consultation with an experienced AME so he can advise on what things you'll need to provide for the FAA to grant you a medical.

Wanting to start training for PPL under BasicMed. Never applied for BM or Class 3. Had a TIA about 4 years ago...no long term effects. Caused by stress (small biz owner), tobacco, too high Testosterone level in shots, diet pills. Perfect storm. All areas have been addressed...not issues now. Question is if I can get my GP to sign off on Basic Med, do I need to go through SI process if I list TIA as previous issue in the past on BM application?

A 3rd class medical (at least) is required before you can do basic med.

This is the excerpt from the AME Guide on TIA’s: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...me/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item46/amd/cd/

There you will find a list of items that must accompany the application. And this is something that must go to OKC to be decided upon.

Because of that, the quality and completeness of the application is paramount in order to avoid the “we need more info and you have a short deadline to provide it” hell that often is part of deferrals.

So finding a “challenging case” AME with experience winning TIA cases will make your path a smoother one.

And a consultation, not an official exam, is an excellent first step. During the consultation discuss your case, review what the FAA wants, and refine what the doctors need to say in the most basic of terms.

Once the items are gathered, another consultation to review and ensure you have everything is smart. If you do, then the visit can be converted to an official application and exam.

Bit if you’re missing something, then you have the opportunity to go get it and not be in jeopardy of a denial.

Extremely helpful - I talked to my GP about it and they just kinda were like, "Huh?". I've got a call in to a recommended AME and will schedule a consult to get our ducks in a row. Thanks all!

You will need:
The hospital record of the TIA

Current time:
Exercise stress test to a heart rate of 90% of (220-YourAge) and nine minutes' duration. I recommend this be a STRESS ECHO treadmill.
24 hour holter monitor- clean
Seated non stress echocardiogram
Current time: Repeat Brain MRI
Repeat neurologist evaluation and if he wants, a repeat EEG.
If there is any loss from the TIA you'll need the FAA's neuropsychological eval, too (brain performance).

Agree with Aggie Mike. This is a "job" getting it all together in a 90 day window, prior to application.

and if needed you can apply for and get a 2 month extension.

Also had a TIA back in Feb of 2014 (no lasting effects, less than 24 hours in the hospital and was back to work/school the following days) and am currently hoping to obtain an 1st class medical. Thankfully I both checked the FAA's sight and consulted with an AME beforehand. Got all the tests listed (MRI/MRA of brain/neck, Echocardiogram, Neurological eval, Cardiological eval, Exercise Stress Test, Doppler or carodids, Fasting blood sugar and lipid panel) done before going in for the AME visit and brought all the paperwork with me (including the initial encounter paperwork form the hospital). My AME said he was transmiting it all with my physical, but I did maintain a copy of everything for my own records just in case.

Have you considered Sport Pilot? No medical required.

I am hoping to fly for the airlines so Sport Pilot won't work. To update what is going on: Got a response from the FAA on 12/16/22 that they needed more info (my Neuro exam, Echocardiogram and MRA's were out of day by a little bit IE less than a month but still over 3 months) they also wanted a detailed eye exam to include field of vision (again literally 10 days out of day from the 90 day limit). Got all of those exams and tests redone, did need to get an extension as scheduling a Neuro exam always take a bit to get done. I overnighted everything on Wednesday and got verification it was received by the FAA on Thursday morning. Now the waiting begins again. Hopefully I will hear something in a timely manner.

My Google doesn't have an "o" in it. :)

Got it, did not notice that I added an "o" in there, even after attention being called to the word. I'm pretty sure I left my brain under my pillow this morning! :p

Got it, did not notice that I added an "o" in there, even after attention being called to the word. I'm pretty sure I left my brain under my pillow this morning! :p
Been there, done that!

I don't know. "Isochemic" has a kind of ring to it and it would be nice to keep it around and assign it something.

Well - I'm back...submitted my app for 3rd class through my AME in November. Go the letter asking for more info in December...sent tons of info for OSA and vision disturbance hospitalization. Turns out my docs don't think I had a TIA...they think it was possibly a migraine or blood pressure related. Bottom line, I sent all my hospital records along with a letter from the head of neurology at the university hospital I went to for the original episode. He said not a TIA...and that he has zero concerns with my having a class 3. playing the hurry up and wait game with FAA now. I call once a week to check status and they just say it is in line for review. Apparently the neuro folks don't meet regularly. Any chance I will get someone there to actually review my situation and approve or do you think I'll have more hoops? It's been almost 6 months at this point from the date of original AME exam.

I am hoping to fly for the airlines so Sport Pilot won't work. To update what is going on: Got a response from the FAA on 12/16/22 that they needed more info (my Neuro exam, Echocardiogram and MRA's were out of day by a little bit IE less than a month but still over 3 months) they also wanted a detailed eye exam to include field of vision (again literally 10 days out of day from the 90 day limit). Got all of those exams and tests redone, did need to get an extension as scheduling a Neuro exam always take a bit to get done. I overnighted everything on Wednesday and got verification it was received by the FAA on Thursday morning. Now the waiting begins again. Hopefully I will hear something in a timely manner.

Heard anything yet?

Well - I'm back...submitted my app for 3rd class through my AME in November. Go the letter asking for more info in December...sent tons of info for OSA and vision disturbance hospitalization. Turns out my docs don't think I had a TIA...they think it was possibly a migraine or blood pressure related. Bottom line, I sent all my hospital records along with a letter from the head of neurology at the university hospital I went to for the original episode. He said not a TIA...and that he has zero concerns with my having a class 3. playing the hurry up and wait game with FAA now. I call once a week to check status and they just say it is in line for review. Apparently the neuro folks don't meet regularly. Any chance I will get someone there to actually review my situation and approve or do you think I'll have more hoops? It's been almost 6 months at this point from the date of original AME exam.

That's great news! Very similar time span for me as well. AME for 1st Class in November, letter in December for additional testing (looked up and did a majority of what the FAA wanted before hand but a few tests were over 90 days old), had to ask for extra time as it takes a hot minute to get a Neuro exam so they added another test (vision). Got everything sent out March 8th, overnighted everything so arrived at the FAA on the 9th and scanned in on the 13th. Now just waiting for them to review the scanned info and make a decision. Got to love the waiting game.

That's great news! Very similar time span for me as well. AME for 1st Class in November, letter in December for additional testing (looked up and did a majority of what the FAA wanted before hand but a few tests were over 90 days old), had to ask for extra time as it takes a hot minute to get a Neuro exam so they added another test (vision). Got everything sent out March 8th, overnighted everything so arrived at the FAA on the 9th and scanned in on the 13th. Now just waiting for them to review the scanned info and make a decision. Got to love the waiting game.

Good luck! Not sure how often neuro folks meet...I hear it is fairly random. I've stopped lessons...waiting to get med squared away. Really sucks. Studying for written while I wait.

Good luck! Not sure how often neuro folks meet...I hear it is fairly random. I've stopped lessons...waiting to get med squared away. Really sucks. Studying for written while I wait.
Thanks, good luck to you too. Haven't attempted even starting yet as I have no idea how long it will take for the bureaucratic wheels to grind. Meanwhile I'm wondering if in May I'll have to take another exam (6 months from my original AME visit for a 1st Class over 40 years old) or wait until I have an answer from the FAA.

Aug. 21...Still waiting on response from FAA. Says waiting for neuro panel review. Anybody have any idea when these panels meet?

MedXPress status just changed from "Action Required" to "In Review" - so progress.

Welp MedXpress says with a big stop sign:

Review of your application is complete. You will receive correspondence with additional details via mail.

You are not medically cleared to operate an aircraft.

Back