Student Landing Issue

That's the FIRST time I've ever read "...its your job to put that sucker down SAFELY in the touch down zone on centerline. Note I said SAFELY and not perfect greaser..." and I wish my CFI had had that mindset. It would have taken a lot of pressure off but with passengers, you can navigate, communicate and keep a pyramid of wine glasses balanced in the back seat but all they'll judge you on is your landing.

that thought has to be thrown out of your head.

not such a big deal in a bug smasher but when landing an CRJ900 at 74k pounds on a 5000 foot runway for example (or say an Airbus 319 into DCA... etc, etc, etc) there is no time for trying to grease it, in the touch down zone and on centerline or you'll either be off the end of the runway or smashing stuff with your wingtips

and you might not ever fly a jet so you're like "what do I care"? Law of Primacy. In the touchdown zone, on centerline and a safe landing are the only things that matter. Learn it right the first time for the right reasons. The rest will all fall into place on its own. :)

My landings were HORRIBLE in the beginning until I found what worked for me. I pull the power back, put in 10º, and trim for a 500fpm descent and 80kts abeam the numbers and that usually sets me up pretty well. Just find out what works for you.

that thought has to be thrown out of your head.

not such a big deal in a bug smasher but when landing an CRJ900 at 74k pounds on a 5000 foot runway for example (or say an Airbus 319 into DCA... etc, etc, etc) there is no time for trying to grease it, in the touch down zone and on centerline or you'll either be off the end of the runway or smashing stuff with your wingtips

and you might not ever fly a jet so you're like "what do I care"? Law of Primacy. In the touchdown zone, on centerline and a safe landing are the only things that matter. Learn it right the first time for the right reasons. The rest will all fall into place on its own. :)

Next time I fly an RJ I'll perish the thought but for now in my bug smasher, I can't help what passengers think about during the flight, which was kind of my point.

As another student, I like this description and many of the others as well.

Just wondering though, there are exceptions to approach speed? If crosswind, I've heard one wants to have a little extra airspeed to be able to counter? Also when doing a slip final?

Just trying to get it straight when conditions are a little more challenging.

No extra speed is needed for crosswinds or slipping. If the wind is gusty, add MAYBE one half the gust increment. If you add 5 kt for a crosswind, and 5 kt for gusts, and 5 kt for safety, you will wind up in an overrun incident at some point.

When I was teaching pre-solo students I would often give them a break in the middle of a T&G lesson by flying one pattern myself. That gave them a couple of minutes to relax and let me demonstrate and emphasise any areas with which they are struggling. I would emphasise the sight-picture at various points around the pattern and demonstrate how to fix the types of errors that they were committing. It let them reset, regroup and start again fresh.

As far as soloing. I found that it usually took somewhere around 75 landings before a student was ready to solo.

When I was teaching pre-solo students I would often give them a break in the middle of a T&G lesson by flying one pattern myself. That gave them a couple of minutes to relax and let me demonstrate and emphasise any areas with which they are struggling. I would emphasise the sight-picture at various points around the pattern and demonstrate how to fix the types of errors that they were committing. It let them reset, regroup and start again fresh.

As far as soloing. I found that it usually took somewhere around 75 landings before a student was ready to solo.

The mental break in the middle of a bunch of landings helped me a lot when I was struggling. I would ask my CFI to show me a good one so I get a fresh, clean visual in my head. Then I would take back over and do some more.

No extra speed is needed for crosswinds or slipping. If the wind is gusty, add MAYBE one half the gust increment. If you add 5 kt for a crosswind, and 5 kt for gusts, and 5 kt for safety, you will wind up in an overrun incident at some point.

Thanks. Also wondered, do you mean half the gust, or half the difference between the gust and the prevailing wind? Like if it was (not sure if this is realistic) 18010G20 knots, add 10, or add 5 (if that)?

I'm going to suggest that when appropriate to my CFI.

A buddy of mine from flight school (we did 99% or it online, and with our books at home, but had like 20 hours classroom where we met) has gotten to fly a good more than I since he can fly in weekday mornings when our airport allows T&G, the only time they allow it, not on weekends. He soloed for the first time a few weeks ago, but I'm very sure he had considerably less than 75 landings. Thins kinda worries me. He did fine. But said he was really in doubt. Probably like most befor first solo though.

If one is allowed to do T&G's at an airport for an hour, how many landings around would that be likely to be?

The mental break in the middle of a bunch of landings helped me a lot when I was struggling. I would ask my CFI to show me a good one so I get a fresh, clean visual in my head. Then I would take back over and do some more.

Yup...I really like that idea. As it is now I'm getting instruction all the way in the few landings I've been credited with, and every time I get back home I'm remembering things I didn't know, wasn't watching, etc.

Think it would help to relax and watch now that I've had some landings. Before I started landing I didn't know what to look for, now I feel to busy and too much chatter and instruction to take it in.

If one is allowed to do T&G's at an airport for an hour, how many landings around would that be likely to be?

Long taxi out could skew a bit, but an hour of solid T&Gs should give you 8-10 landings. Most people get pretty tired after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a student starting back after a long break. The thing the got me the most on landings was a fear of pulling up too much on the yoke. I would touch down and get a little hard on the nose. It took me a while to feel comfortable getting the plane to stall as soon as the main wheels touched. It's been so long since I did it, but I it down but it took longer than 10 hours. I like coming here, and had I been apart of a forum then I doubt I would have stopped. It's nice to see and hear other issues you had, and read responses from experienced pilots.

Long taxi out could skew a bit, but an hour of solid T&Gs should give you 8-10 landings. Most people get pretty tired after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve never done that many at once. Five tops. 8-10 is too many in one session.

My instructor got very firm with me after I had a number of scary landings. She would sit there and say very firmly as I rounded out “DON’T LET HER LAND. DON’T YOU DARE LAND THIS PLANE!” Helped a lot with getting that transition right. Also what everyone has said about trim is NB - but remember to be aware of it when you take power again for the go.

Another thing - sometimes 30min is enough to get you mentally exhausted - may be a good idea to park it after 30min, have a coffee and chill for 30min and then go again.
But relax, you will get it. 15h in the pattern for me with almost 100 landings.

Back